It's been common practice for the past couple decades that the designer is responsible for either: (1) creating a PDF that includes all the fonts, or (2) providing all the fonts if you're sending the InDesign file and the assets. Ask them for the font. Especially since you're unfamiliar with Asian fonts and would probably mess it up if you guessed the wrong one.
Yes, well, I did ask the translator for the designer's name but haven't heard back. I didn't put in the translation because I didn't want to mess with laying out the Chinese, not having any experience with the language.
These files originated with me, in English, and were sent to a translator a couple hours away, who used a local resource for layout, and then packaged them back up and sent them back to my client. My client then had revisions to the content, so the translator, not wanting to incur additional charges with the designer for minor text revisions, downloaded a trial copy of INDD-CC to make the text revisions, doing some font substituting herself, and then of course saved the document with the revised text and font substitutions, which she then sent to me.
So, although I have the INDD-CS6 packages of the originally translated documents, which don't have the missing font in them, the translator has sent me new INDD-CC files with my client's text revisions and her saved substitutions.
At some point I will need to save these back to CS6, too, since I don't intend to update to CC any time soon. (I just got CS6 earlier this year, and am still ahead of my clients.) But, I don't want to save them back till I get the fonts settled, as that just seems like it's asking for layout trouble.
OH, but I just had a thought. Maybe I could open the original translated ID files and the revised translated files and compare the fonts. The missing fonts are highlighted in the revised files... select them and change them to what they are in the older files... hmm.
Thanks for the inspiration!
There is one missing font, STFangsong (OTF) Bold.
My client then had revisions to the content, so the translator, not wanting to incur additional charges with the designer for minor text revisions, downloaded a trial copy of INDD-CC to make the text revisions, doing some font substituting herself, and then of course saved the document with the revised text and font substitutions, which she then sent to me.
If I recall correctly, there isn't a STFangsong Bold.
I suspect that revisions were keyed in Word and then copy/pasted into the document. If the "All Information" toggle is selected in the "Clipboard Handling" properties of the file in question, then there is a scrap of evidence to support my hunch. Because that's how it'd be marked as Bold - because Word will happily add a stroke around a font to fake a bold if there is no bold available.
If the STFangsong in use is the Apple system font, then: it has the do-not-embed flag on, so it'll be impossible to use in a PDF. And you can't buy it anywhere. Learn (a tiny bit) more about the ST foundry here.
If you need need need a bold Fangsong, I'd suggest DF Fangsong. "DF" is Dynacomware Design Studio. The whole family costs $1350. A single weight is $500. Good Chinese fonts are expensive!
Thank you, Joel.
Well, that explains why I can't find the font, since it doesn't exist.
I won't be spending that kind of cash on a font I will only use once, unfortunately, but I wholeheartedly appreciate the information. It's amazing what one can learn "out there".
This is exactly why I didn't want to mess with it in the first place... sigh.
And, just to add unsult to injury, I installed a trial of IDCC and now I'm in the process of re-installing CS6 as it won't run. (I tried trashing the prefs, no luck.) This is costing me way more time than I anticipated, with an uninstall, re-download, and re-install. So goes it, I guess. On a bright note, I'm onsite at a client's who has really fast internet.
I did go in and replace the weird roman characters of the Chinese font with the font that was originally used in the English version (Caslon). Looks much better. Only a couple of instances, fortunately.
I'll come back and post the resolution, for folks to learn from in the future.