3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 1:02 PM by A.T. Romano

4x3 burns dvd as 16x9 even if WIDESCREEN is not chosen

zmojoz Level 1

I am editing some old 4x3 home movies. First I put the tapes on a DVD. Then I used Elements import to bring them in Elements. They import as 4x3. During editing they look normal as 4x3. But when I burn to dvd out comes 16x9. Yes I did not ask for widescreen on burn setup. I used the NTSC DVD DOLBY. Any  ideas?

• 1. Re: 4x3 burns dvd as 16x9 even if WIDESCREEN is not chosen
          A.T. Romano Level 7

zmojoz

Let us work through the details and see if we can find an explanation for the situation that you describe.

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. What are you setting as the project preset as confirmed by Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size?

3. If possible, please post a MediaInfo readout for the VTS_01_1.VOB that is your source. Or, playback the VOB in a player that can display the properties of the file as it plays it back.

4. After your VOB is on the Timeline, go to Project Assets or Project Media area, right click the file's thumbnail there, select Interpret Footage, and tell us what is says for frame rate and pixel aspect ratio.

5. Where are you determining that your end product is 16:9 instead of 4:3, visually or from properties readout?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: 4x3 burns dvd as 16x9 even if WIDESCREEN is not chosen
            zmojoz Level 1

First Romano thanks for your excellent list! I checked them all and they all said 4x3. I didn't realize all this information was available. The problem turned out to be my new Blu Ray player and HD TV combination. This combination turns ALL videos into 16x9. Even an old 1941 DVD movie my wife had. No amount of playing with picture sizes on the TV or the player will make it right. When I play these videos on a DVD only player, and on the BR/DVD player in my computer, out comes the 4x3 expected. I can't plug the DVD player into the HD TV because output/inputs are not compatible. Bummer.

Thanks for putting me on a path that allowed me to determine this.

• 3. Re: 4x3 burns dvd as 16x9 even if WIDESCREEN is not chosen
              A.T. Romano Level 7

zmojoz

Thanks for the follow up and the good job of troubleshooting your issue.

Thanks for the opportunity to help. Please let us know if you need any supplemental information.

Keep up the good work.

ATR