12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 2:16 AM by Tom W. Gier

Slow Typing in CS6

Tom W. Gier

This post is only for reference in case somebody else is having the same issue; unfortunately it doesn't give a real and easy solution but shows that not all hope is lost.

I have a 200+ pages document containing about 50 references to images and about 75 cross references. All of a sudden typing became really slow (~2 letters per second). Again! And no, the machine I'm working with isn't too slow. It is build for CAD  and rendering, has loads of CPU cores, professional graphics and more than enough RAM. I don't think, InDesign will hit any of it's limits, ever. And yes, I have all the available updates installed.

This hit me three or four times already and out of experience I tried the following, without much hope I have to admit:

• Save as IDML
      • Removed all cross-references and saved as IDML
      • Removed all references to images and all cross-references and saved as IDML

Of course, none of this helped as it didn't help before. Preflight was off - as always, display settings were set to the lowest possible setting - as always. I'm quite sure, I read every single post on the internet which refered to this problem. I banged my head against the wall because I couldn't find a solution for this - again.

The only thing that helps - and I knew it, when suddenly typing speed slowed down - was to start all over again with a complete new, fresh document. I really hate this, it's time consuming, absolutely unneccessary and expensive. And what is best, you can import all formats (text, table, TOC, cross-refs, ...), all master pages, everything layout-ish and Copy&Paste the text from the corrupted document. Afterwards typing speed is back to normal. This is ... I don't know what to say.

If you then save this fresh document containing all you "old" text and your "old" formats and stuff as IDML and compare it's size  with size of the IDML file created from the corrupted document, you'll see, tah the new doxument is  a remarkably smaller; more than 20% in my case. Twenty percent!!

Are you guys at Adobe serious? I can't start all over again every now and then just because the INDD file gets bloated with I-don't-know-what. In this shape, InDesign is simply useless for me. Sorry to say that, but that's the way it is. Can't you just make sure, that working on a file and saving it once in a while will not corrupt it? This isn't rocket science actually...

• 1. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

I doubt that what you are experiencing and the method you are trying to cure it have much of anything to do with each other.

• 2. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
            Tom W. Gier Level 1

Mhm. And what exactly makes you think that?

• 3. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
              PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

Are there spanning columns in your document? If so then copy the contents of one of the document and create a new document, paste in place. Test the typing behavior. What happens when you remove all the paragraph styles and then revert to original state of the document after removing each paragraph style one by one.

• 4. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
                Tom W. Gier Level 1

No, there are no spanning columns. I'm working on a manual which has only one main column/textflow. There're sections for numbering purposes - it's a manual by the way - and every section has it's own master pages for odd and even pages.

You're thinking it may be a paragraph style problem? I was thinking in the same direction since I use quite a lot of paragraph styles (~70), some of them are used very often, some others only rarely, but all are based on a basic paragraph format (I avoided a inheritance hierarchy since this is unstable and confusing). What put me off this thinking path was the fact that copying the styles from the slow-typing document into a new document didn't result in another slow-typing document. Nevertheless, I'll give your suggestion a try next time typing slows down again. Right now all is well, because I moved content and style to a new document.

With "revert back to original state" you're speaking of the option in the file menu, right? I'm on a german ID version...

Thanks a lot, I'll post the outcome here...

• 5. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
                  PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

That's true. Use revert from the File menu to revert to the last saved state within the document.

• 6. Re: Slow Typing in CS6

Don't know if this is a slow-down factor, but when you said:

but all are based on a basic paragraph format

If that means you have paragraphs styles Based On: Basic Paragraph Style; then by all means change those definitions to say No Paragraph Style.

Having any styles based on Basic Paragraph Style can trigger odd problems of re-defining styles whenever you copy n paste from another InDesign document.

I say again, though, that I don't know if that is a factor in your slow-down problem. More of a good idea preventive in a general way.

What is your OS and version of InDesign and patch level and RAM amount?

• 7. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
                      Tom W. Gier Level 1

Michael,

thanks for your suggestion.

If I understand you correctly, you refer to the build-in Basic Paragraph format. I defined my "basic paragraph format" myself and it controls font family, language, hyphenation and so on, these are the same for all types of text. It's not the one which comes build-in with ID. I always sideline built-in templates and start from scratch, no matter which software I use. However, my "basic paragraph format" itself is based on the built-in "no paragraph format" since something must be selected.

I'm on a Windows 7 Ultimate with 32GB of RAM, ID is CS6 8.0.1 (Details of InDesign.exe say 8.0.1.406). Most of the time RAM usage is at about 10-15% with Outlook, Browser, PS, InDesign, Illustrator and some other programs open. So this shouldn't be a limiting factor.

• 8. Re: Slow Typing in CS6

More wild-guessing questions for you:

Are you occasionally doing a Save-As?

Are you operating the file from your own hard drive as opposed to the network server?

Are you sharing a dictionary?

Are you using any GREP styles in your paragraph styles?

Are you placing any artwork at 300ppi rather than 72ppi. In other words, are you preparing the artwork in Photoshop first before placing into InDesign so that you are 300ppi at correct physical size. This would be as opposed to placing at high pixel count at 72ppi (which causes file size to balloon dramatically).

Related to that last thought, how big is your InDesign file in megabytes?

• 9. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
                          Tom W. Gier Level 1

- Yes, I always use "Save as...". At the end of a week, I save as IDML to have a "clean" file on Monday.

- Yes, the ID file itself and all artwork reside on my local hard drive. I'm using a synchronising tool to copy added/changed files to a network drive. To prevent this tool from locking up, this only happens when I log out or when I'm away from keyboard for more than 10 minutes.

- No, I don't share dictionaries as I'm the only one writing manuals here.

- No, I don't use GREP styles.

- I prepare my artwork in PS so that the files are 72ppi.

- At the moment, the file is just over 11 MB (11.328 KB).

Thanks again!

• 10. Re: Slow Typing in CS6

I would always prep files at 300ppi and then place them into InDesign. It makes much smaller InDesign files.

• 11. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
                              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Probably not related to your slowdowns, but since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll toss it in here. Running CS6 under Windows, I see a huge perfromance hit whenever I open a packaged document that loads its fonts from the packaged Document Fonts folder. Like you, I experienced very slow typing. I could type a whole sentence before any visible response.

I inhereted a file system in which every document was stored as a package with fonts, and every one of them was loading its fonts from the local-package Document Fonts folder. This was silly, since they all used the same set of fonts, all of which were also Windows-installed, of course. I was befuddled by this for quite a while until I happened to make a package of my own without fonts for the purpose of doing some work on it elsewhere. Eventually, I searched the drive for all the Document Fonts folders and deleted them. It solved the problem.

• 12. Re: Slow Typing in CS6
                                Tom W. Gier Level 1

It happened again  just ten minutes ago. I'm restructuring  a document, that is moving sections around with cut & paste. Suddenly just after pasting a section back into the document typing became awfully slow. The pasted section's heading is used as a cross references target somewhere else in the document (it shows this little unobstrusive blue-ish colon at the beginning of the line). However, this was not the first section containing a cross reference target that I cut & pasted this morning, but I was quite quick with pasting.

Is it so, that ID re-evaluates all cross reference targets after a single target is cut? Additionally, is it possible, that if this exact target is pasted back while the re-evaluation process for the cut action is still running, the document gets corrupted sometimes?

Of course, I don't know anything of ID's inner life, but as a software developer I know such strange behaviour from personal experience .

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas