5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 4:32 PM by ATPWN

Printing Issue

ATPWN

Hello PS Experts

I have a curious printing phenomenon I don't understand. When trying to print a smaller image on a larger piece of paper, leaving a large border area, my Epson 3800 printer continues printing an almost invisible layer of something in the border area of the paper as well.

Example: A  letter size piece of paper, 8.5x11". 4x5" image size. I'll position the image to one end of the page. The printer head does it's usual thing, passing over the image area as it lays down the ink and then continues right on passing back and forth untilt the whole piece of paper has fed through the printer. Depending on which type of paper I'm using you can see to varying degree that there is some cool color density laid down in the non image area of the paper. There is a tiny border where you can still see the untouched paper.

At first I contacted Epson. We tried a number of things, reinstalling the driver etc. They then they suggested printing the same thing from a different app. like Preview. I did and the printer behaved as expected, that is it no longer printed over the border/non-image area of the page.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is happening? As mentioned, the extra bit of density being laid down shows more or less depending on the type of paper.

I've had the same issue on my iMac and my MacBookPro. OS 10.6.8 and 10.8.4 with CS 5 and my Epson Stylus Pro 3800, mostly Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl and Matte  

I appreciate any input.

Cheers

A.T.

• 1. Re: Printing Issue
          Level 7

There was a bug like that in older Epson drivers - it miscommunicated with ColorSync when using v4 profiles and put a color cast on the page outside the printed area.  v2 profiles didn't have the problem -- so it only showed up for people with certain versions of the driver (that included v4 profiles) or third party paper profiles (that were v4).

• 2. Re: Printing Issue
            ATPWN Level 1

Hey Chris

Thanks for that. Nice to know I'm not just losing it.

I think I understand. What would you recommend I do? I just downloaded and installed the lates driver for my printer earlier today. I doubt Hahnemuhle would update thier paper profiles.

A.T.

• 3. Re: Printing Issue
              ATPWN Level 1

Hey Chris

But shouldn't it have the same problem when printing through Preview as well then?

A.T.

• 4. Re: Printing Issue
                Level 7

No, because Preview doesn't use the color managed print path that Photoshop uses (calls different code in the OS and driver).

And IIRC, Apple fixed most of the issues in a dot release of 10.7.

• 5. Re: Printing Issue
                  ATPWN Level 1

Sorry. I still don't get it. I was on the phone with Epson with someone very kind. We walked through what I was doing in Photoshop and my printer settings. I finally tried unchecking the "Match Print Colors" box under the preview in the PS print window. I could have swarn that got rid of the issue. Today I try to do another larger print and now it's doing it again. What the heck is going on?