5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2013 12:39 AM by sPretzel

Cross-referencing chapter number

sPretzel Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to cross-reference a chapter number from another chapter of a book in InDesign? I can create a cross-reference within the current chapter to itself (using ^H) but I don't know if it is possible to cross-reference between chapters.

If it is possible, will it update properly as chapter numbers change or is does it update haphazardly as other inter-chapter cross-references do? (unfortunately).

This is for CS4.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Cross-referencing chapter number
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS9AD9A0DA-E10F-4d1e-9EB2-999FB61D21E8.html

Chapter Number

Inserts the chapter number.

in chapter <chapNum/>

in chapter 3

• 2. Re: Cross-referencing chapter number
            Doc Maik Level 4

sPretzel wrote:

.. but I don't know if it is possible to cross-reference between chapters.

It is even possible to create cross-refs to other documents, just in case you will be needing this one day. Such a cross-ref automatically appears when copying text containing a cross-ref to another document. Can be nasty, too, if the cross-ref is not corrected to refer to the correct document or if the source document is renamed/missing or even worse, if you open an INDD in a new version of Indesign. Like when saved in CS4 and later opened in CS6. This is something Indesign can't handle.

• 3. Re: Cross-referencing chapter number
              sPretzel Level 1

Hi Eugene,

My question is regarding chapters within a book in InDesign, in other words, each chapter in the book is a separate file (from the current document, I would be referencing a chapter that is a different document, both files are in a book file in InDesign). I think your answer refers to a chapter within the current file. Did I understand that correctly?

• 4. Re: Cross-referencing chapter number
                peter minneapolis Level 4

Yes you can do this with an InDesign cross-reference from one file to another. There are a few steps. If you're new at this, you'll need to look up the information on Google. You need to know about creating cross-references, creating the reference from one file another file (both must be open,) creating a custom cross-reference format with a chapter number building block.

If this is new to you, take a step at a time. You'll get smooth with it after the first few times.

If you need details, search Google for terms like

"InDesign cross-references"

*InDesign cross-reference formats"

*InDesign cross-reference format building blocks"

*InDesign cross-references between files"

This is one link you'll find:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS9AD9A0DA-E10F-4d1e-9EB2-999FB61D21E8.html

Here's what you want to find - cross-reference format building blocks. Scroll down to see the red oval around chapter number.

x-ref chapter number block.png

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

sPretzel wrote:

Hi Eugene,

My question is regarding chapters within a book in InDesign, in other words, each chapter in the book is a separate file (from the current document, I would be referencing a chapter that is a different document, both files are in a book file in InDesign). I think your answer refers to a chapter within the current file. Did I understand that correctly?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Cross-referencing chapter number
                  sPretzel Level 1

Hello Peter,

I had read part of that documentation but had apparently overlooked the parts of interest. Eugene's post was pointing in the same direction.

Thanks everybody for your comments. I'll do some more reading on cross-referencing chapter numbers. However, I may decide against using it in the end (I have few that I could manage manually), since cross-referencing in InDesign doesn't always update as I expect it to (as you mentioned, source and destination files need to be open but I still experience a few glitches).