7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 4:29 AM by Trevor.Dennis

Rasterizing text questions

StanWelks Level 1

1. Is there an equivalent to the Shape Builder tool that Illustrator has in Photoshop CS6?  I want to rasterize some text and combine a couple letters into one shape.

2. If you want to embed text into a .PSD or .TIFF, do both Convert to shape and Rasterize text result in the font/text being embeded in the file the same way?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Rasterizing text questions
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Do you know that you can turn type layers into editable shapes?  (In the type menu)

PSD is going to keep type layers intact of course, unless you intend to flattern the layers.  It was recently pointed out to me that you can save type from Photoshop as a PDF with what appears to be intact vectored type.  I tried it and was able to zoom way way in to the text without pixelization.  This would result in much better printed text than if it were rasterized into a JPG.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rasterizing text questions
            StanWelks Level 1

I was not aware of that. After making the type into a shape, I see I can drag anchor points, though is there a way to combine the shapes/letters? What else can you do with type as shapes?

• 3. Re: Rasterizing text questions

Maybe just a tiny bit fiddly.

1. Instead of converting the text to a shape, chose Create workpath from the Type menu.
              2. With the Path selection tool, select the first letter to bring up its points.
              3. Now selct the Pen tool, and place a new point inbetween the existing two points that you want to make a gap. (hover and you'll see a little + sign)
              4. Delete that new point. You now have a break in the work path.
              5. Repeat for the second letter in the work path that you want to join.
              6. Use the Selection tool to select the first letter.
              7. Select the Pen tool and hover over the end of the break in the path. When you see a tiny chain icon, (bottom left in diagram below) place your point.
              8. Keep the Pen tool selected, and click on the second letter when you see the chain icon.
              9. Repeat steps 7 & 8 to join the other break.
              10. Job done.

http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/pentool-icons-rev2.png

• 4. Re: Rasterizing text questions
                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, you can even merge two shape layers by selecting them, do a CMD+E, then in the option bar, combine, then merge the shapes.

• 5. Re: Rasterizing text questions
                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

It's cute! did you make that graphic?

• 6. Re: Rasterizing text questions

In case you want to save as Custom shape:

With the combined workpath selected - Layer > New fill layer > Solid color (this makes a Shape layer from the Work path)

With the icon selected in the new Shape layer - Edit > Define Custom shape.

• 7. Re: Rasterizing text questions

PECourtejoie wrote:

It's cute! did you make that graphic?

No just had a quick hunt for it, although the first few that I found didn't have the Chain icon.

[EDIT]  I keep reading about how much better Illustrator is at this sort of thing.  I really ought to learn how to use it since I am now paying for it.