23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 8:55 PM by A.T. Romano

.MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

potrzebiehuck

Some google searching shows that i´m not alone with this problem, but i haven´t found a solution.

.MTS files plays in premiere elements (lagging terribly though) but not in elements organizer, where i get this error message:

organizer error message.png

Updated quicktime as suggested, no improvement.

Source of .MTS files is a Panasonic G5.

Running W7 64 bit. same problems in both elements organizer 11 & 12.

If it was a codec issue i assume it would not play in Premier elements either?

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you started a new project yet for AVCHD video?

Try starting a Premiere Elements project and placing one of your AVCHD files at the beginning of your timeline. This will trigger Premiere Elements to automatically download the components for this type of video.

Once it has this component, your computer should create the thumbnails for the files. It won't happen immediately -- but the Organizer will work in the background to update itself as you do other things.

• 2. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
            potrzebiehuck Level 1

Yes, as mentioned in the original post, they play in premiere elements when added to the timeline, although lagging terribly.

Also, when i add clips using the "add media" dropdown and select "elements organizer", i se thumbnails on the clips, but non in elements organizer itself launched with the "organizer" button at the bottom of premier elements.

• 3. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

When you add the clip to Premiere Elements in Expert View, is there a yellow line above the clip on the timeline?

I'm assuming you've shot your video as 1920x1080 AVCHD, so please advise us if you shot MP4 or some lowe quality setting.

• 4. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                potrzebiehuck Level 1

Yes, latest quicktime installed.

There is a yellow line on top of the clip

Video is 1920x1080p 50fps.

• 5. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

If there is a yellow line above the clip, then your project is either improperly set up or the program did not install the necessary component, for some reason.

Go to Edit/Project Settings and look at the project settings. Do they say 1920x1080 50 fps with Fields set to No Fields (Progressive)?

If not, try setting up a new project and setting the project settings for PAL AVCHD 1080p50. Then add your clip to the timeline. Are you still seeing a yellow line above it on the timeline?

• 6. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                    potrzebiehuck Level 1

The yellow line i mean is on top of the clip, not above. Are we talking about the same thing here?

Project settings are as you mention above, 1920x1080p 50fps

• 7. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline so we can see where this yellow line is?

• 8. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

Also, just so we can be sure that you've got the power to edit this type of video, what processor do you have in your computer and how much RAM? How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

• 9. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

There is often confusion about the "colored lines," in, or above Clips on the Timeline. One (above) is an indicator that for smoothest playback, Rendering is required. The other (within the Clip), is the "rubberband" to adjust the selected Effect, such as Volume in an Audio Clip, or Opacity in a Video Clip.

Here is a look at the two, in PrE 11:

Orange_Lines.png

In previous versions of PrE, the colored line above Clips, that would require Rendering for smoothest playback, was red, and not orange. Now, the color of these two lines is pretty close (one has less red in it, so appears more yellow, but they are too close, IMHO). I suppose that we need to start calling one a reddish-orange line, and the other a yellowish-orange line... ? But it was easier to describe, when the Render line was RED. Not so much now.

Good luck, and hope that helps differentiate between those colored lines.

Hunt

• 10. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

potrzebiehuck

I have been following your thread and its troubleshooting progression.

Today I download a sample 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (.mts) and 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second (.mts) from your brand/model camera, the Panasonic G5.

I took the samples into the Elements Organizer 11 and 12 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. Will be doing the Windows 8 64 bit counterpart if necessary. These are the results:

Both these .mts imported into the Elements Organizer 11 and 12, but with a generic view in the thumbnail. There was no error message of any kind. The file could be played back from the Elements Organizer. And, if I right click the thumbnail and selected "Update Thumbnail", I then had the first frame of the video displayed in its Elements Organizer thumbnail. Based on all that I would suggest that there is no inherent (generalized) incompatibility between Panasonic G5's AVCHD.mts file in discussion and the Elements Organizer 11 and 12.

With regard to Elements Organizer 12, just opening for the first time was problematic for me. I was greeted by a "got to close" if I tried to open the Elements Organizer 12 from Photoshop Elements 12 or Premiere Elements 12. The answer was to delete the preference file and create a new catelog. Then I could get into the Elements Organizer 12 to do the tests described above.

I hope this is helpful to the discussions that I found in progress.

ATR

• 11. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                              Greg_S.

I believe I have found a solution to this problem.  There appears to be a conflict between codecs used for playing mts files.  My problem involved an inability to display or create thumbnails for mts video files in the main Elements Organizer 12 media window.  When I tried to preview the video in EO, the audio played without the video display.  (There was a black preview window.)   The thumbnails displayed and the video previewed correctly in the new embedded EO tab in PRE 12.  EO 11 also worked correctly for my mts files. 

I noticed that when attempting to work with the mts files in EO 12, an icon popped up in the taskbar for Haali Media Splitter.  My investigation of the registry suggested that this was part of a K-lite codec pack installed on my computer.  I have uninstalled the codec pack and the problems have all been resolved in EO 12.  Thumbnails can now be created and the files preview correctly in the Organizer window.

A FAQ on the Haali website confirms that installation of the Media Splitter can break the playback of mts files in other programs.

• 12. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news, and thank you for reporting the cause of the issue.

Though some here recommend K-Lite, and many other CODEC packs, others encounter some significant issues with the other "stuff" that most of those packs install.

It is good that you were able to track the problem down to that particular component, the Haali Media Splitter. That will likely to be very helpful to others.

Appreciated, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 13. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

potrzebiehuck

Please refer to the post of gjslaw (post 11) and the observation of that user that a Haali Media Splitter conflict was at the core of these .mts issues.

As I wrote, I did not see the .mts issue that you reported when I did some hands on testing under conditions comparable to your situation.

So, I would ask, do you have this Haali Media Splitter? I do not.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                    potrzebiehuck Level 1

Hi all.

Just tried to install premiere elements 12 on another PC, the same issue there.

After reading your posts, i uninstalled som stuff, PCTV TVcenter & DVBviewer pro, and voila!, it works fine now. So it definitely was a codec issue.

I assume this will solve it on my other pc as well, will try it when i get home again.

Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated! Now maybe i dare to buy the stuff :-)

• 15. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

potrzebiehuck

Thanks for the valuable update.

Looking forward to any further developments.

ATR

• 16. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                        Markpic Level 1

Video Editor's most times do not guaruntee excellent playback quality.

When I am making a video, I expect excellent output of a final project file.

I use a Canon Vixia HF R200.

The camcorder creates a MXP File.

My PC upload is a MTS File--using the Windows[tm] Upload Tool.

(you might try a different upload process)

• 17. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Markpic

What video editor are you using for your files from the Canon Vixia HF R200...Premiere Elements 10 or other?

ATR

• 18. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                            Goldsk8te Level 1

I am desparate as have a deadline in 24 hours.   I added .mts files to my project and then to the time line.  It will play the audio but not the video.  It stays as a still image.  There is nothing to render as well.  The Monitor view has changed also and seems to be stuck at "Disc Menu" viewing.  I no longer see the window I usually work in with the safe lines around it.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

• 19. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Goldsk8te

You put yourself at a disadvantage by tagging on to an older thread and not starting a new thread of your own. I just saw your post now.

So let us get to the troubleshooting...

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. This has all the symptoms of a display problem. Do you have the latest version of your video card/graphics card driver according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? If so, we are going to need to delete the BadDrivers.txt file. But I need the information in "1" to tell you how to get there and do that.

Some background information please....

1. How long have you been working with this version on its current computer operating system?

2. How would you class this issue "It worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"?

3. What is your project preset?

4. What are the properties of this .mts files...AVCHD video compression? 1080i or 1080p or other?

More later in the morning.

ATR

• 20. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                                Goldsk8te Level 1

Hi A.T.

1.  I'm using Premiere Elements 9.  I have an Asus laptop with windows 8.1

2.  I believe i have the latest driver.  I have Intel HD Graphics.  I ran a check to look for updated drivers and it came back as saying I had the latest.

Background

I've only had the laptop since October so that's how long the program has been on the computer.

I was able to use it a few days ago.  At that time I had been using video from the same camera but that time it I had saved it originally to the camera's internal memory.  When I had the problem last night it was with video I had saved to a memory card.  A message which I do not remember came up asking if I'd like to change the preset as my current settings didn't match the video format.  I said yes and then nothing worked after that.  I can't even view the project I did several days ago now either.

How I search for the presets?  I've never changed these before.

It is AVCHD file type and 1080 but I am unfamiliar with the how to know anything further. 

Tracey

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 20:55:46 -0800

To: goldsk8@hotmail.com

Subject: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Goldsk8te

You put yourself at a disadvantage by tagging on to an older thread and not starting a new thread of your own. I just saw your post now.

So let us get to the troubleshooting...

1. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

2. This has all the symptoms of a display problem. Do you have the latest version of your video card/graphics card according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? If so, we are going to need to delete the BadDrivers.txt file. But I need the information in "1" to tell you how to get there and do that.

Some background information please....

1. How long have you been working with this version on its current computer operating system?

2. How would you class this issue "It worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"?

3. What is your project preset?

4. What are the properties of this .mts files...AVCHD video compression? 1080i or 1080p or other?

More later in the morning.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6087192#6087192

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6087192#6087192

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6087192#6087192. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 21. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tracy

This is what I would like you to do first.

BadDrivers.txt file deletion.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. After you have closed out of there and opened the program, the program will automatically generate a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully problems will be gone. Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

This sure sounds like a display problem that Premiere Elements 9.0 was known for.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

Also, are you working from the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update version of the program. If not, download and install the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update. You can do that

a. going to Premiere Elements 9 Help Menu/Updates

or

b. downloading the update from Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Please check out the above and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                                    Goldsk8te Level 1

Hi there!

I think deleting that .txt file worked.  Thank you soooo much. 

As for the update, I went in to program and selected Updates and there is a 9.0.3 version available.   Should I choose this or only update to 9.0.1. 

Trace

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:11:37 -0800

From: forums_noreply@adobe.com

To: goldsk8@hotmail.com

Subject: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Tracy

This is what I would like you to do first.

BadDrivers.txt file deletion.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. After you have closed out of there and opened the program, the program will automatically generate a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully problems will be gone. Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

This sure sounds like a display problem that Premiere Elements 9.0 was known for.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

Also, are you working from the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update version of the program. If not, download and install the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update. You can do that

a. going to Premiere Elements 9 Help Menu/Updates

or

b. downloading the update from Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Please check out the above and then let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6090944#6090944

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6090944#6090944

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6090944#6090944. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 23. Re: .MTS files in elements organizer: no thumbnails, not playing
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Tracy

Wonderful news. Thanks for the update.

Just download and install the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update. That other update I believe is for Photoshop Elements 9. Please refer to Barbara Brundage's negative comments on that Photoshop Elements 9.0.3 Update

http://barbarabrundage.com/category/photoshop-elements/

We are so very pleased with your success. Good job. The follow up was much appreciated.

Thanks.

ATR