13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 7:41 AM by CreativePlanForMe

Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?

CreativePlanForMe Level 1

I have CS6 Prod Premium Creative Suite.  The Adobe Application Manager appears to apply updates quite happily.  However Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?  I have deleted opm.db and relogged in but I select appropriate extension (.zxp) and install begins and then hust hangs for a period after which I get unhelpful message moaning about supported products and manifest.xml?

Adobe Exchange seems really flakey and I have had many issues in the past.  CS6 seems trapped half way into CC without proper integration.

Does anyone have helpful (i.e. Not completely reinstalling again!) way of fixing exchange?  It would be nice to use the VERY EXPENSIVE PAID for software.   By the way I thank this community for any help and am very aware that ADOBE appear to be 'handing off' their support responsibilities.

regards

Ian

• 1. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?
          Carl Sun Level 4

You didn’t provide the exact error message but it seemed that you were installing extension with wrong version of Extension Manager.

Please note that Extension Manager only installs / manages extensions for the corresponding version of products. i.e., EM CS6 only installs extensions for DW CS6, PS CS6, ID CS6, etc., while EM CC only supports DW CC, PS CC, ID CC, etc.. As a result, if you use EM CS6 to install an extension which only supports PS CC, EM CS6 will pop up error message, even if you have PS CC installed.

In CS6 and earlier, EM installer is bundled with product installer. In CC, EM became a standalone product, so you have to install it separately, either via Creative Cloud application or download and install it from http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_download/ then update to the latest version.

• 2. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?
            Carl Sun Level 4

BTW, Adobe isn't handing off support responsibilities. Actually, I, Xiaoyi, Yuanyuan Liu and shuo_yang are all Adobe employees.

• 3. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?

Firstly, thanks for the response and information. 

The error message should be designed to facilitate a fix,  also it should provide for copying to a clipboard for pasting to support sites such as this.  Adobe may wish to do this?

Please be clear, should EM CC be installed at all for Creative Suite CS6?

Why does EM within Photoshop CS6 fail to install a browsed extension from the panel?

I have tried installing extensions via each EM version, both CS6 and CC.  CC complains that Illustrator 17 is not installed and CS6 just hangs for a significant period before giving message about manifest.xml.

How do I fix this?

Regards

Ian

• 4. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?
                Carl Sun Level 4

EM CC doesn't have to be installed for Creative Suite CS6.

Which extension did you try to install from the panel in Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator? Please provide extension name. You can also attach a screenshot to show the error message.

• 5. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?

Hello Carl,

The extension is called "Batch HDR Processor" by David Milligan.  The error message (this time - it seems to vary although currently this error is consistent?) is as follows "ERROR Installation failed.  Please close Extension Manager and try again".  It is worthy of mention that this extension installs on my laptop OK in the same product.

regards

Ian

• 6. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?
                    Yuanyuan Liu Level 1

Hi DumbMarine,

I cann't reproduce your problem. Please check the version of extension manager CS6 on your laptop and keep two machines using the same EM CS6.

• 7. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?

Hello Yuanyuan Liu,

My desktop has Adobe Extension Manager CS6 version 6.0.7.6 and Adobe Exchange Panel version 1.0 on a fully patched win 8 pro 64 bit platform

My laptop has Adobe Extension Manager CS6 version 6.0.7.6 and Adobe Exchange Panel version 1.0 on a fully patched win 7 64 bit platform.

A significant difference is that EM can be launched successfully from the laptop exchange panel but not on the PC?  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe EM CS6 on the PC to no avail?

regards

Ian

• 8. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?
                        Carl Sun Level 4

Have you moved the location of Extension Manager CS6 in PC?

Please run "Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CS6", input "BridgeTalk.__diagnostics__;" (exclude double quotation marks) in the main window, then click "Debug->Run". You will get diagnostics information in Javascript Console window at the top right corner.

Please check the value of "Path" under "exman-6.0" section to see if it is consistent with the actual path of Extension Manager CS6.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?

Hello Carl,

I think you may have hit the "nail on the head"?  I do indeed have Creative Suite CS6 (including Extension Manager) on a different drive to the SYSTEM (Win 8 pro 64).   This is due to the System being installed on a 128gb ssd so to avoid an unwieldy and large program directory I install all programs on a additional sata 3 disk (Drive E).

The following are part of the diagnostics:- 

exman-6.0:

Group = cs

Path = E:\Programs2\Adobe Extension Manager CS6\Adobe Extension Manager CS6.exe

Display Name = Adobe Extension Manager CS6

MsgAuthentication = ON

MsgDigest = ON

ESTK = OFF

BundleID = com.adobe.exman

Status = (not running)

ExeName = Adobe Extension Manager CS6.exe

The location is consistent with where Adobe EM CS6 is installed?   However the fact I have an installation on a different disk may indeed be part of the issue as this is not the case on my working laptop.

regards

Ian

• 10. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?

I still have this issue gentlemen and ladies, anyone got any ideas?

• 11. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?
                              Xiaoyi Tong Adobe Employee

Hi DumbMarine,

Could you remove C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS6\*.log, and enable the log of Extension Manager by the steps below, and reproduce the installation issue, and send the log files( C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Extension Manager CS6\*.log ) to us( exman.beijing@gmail.com )?

How to enable log in Extension Manager:

Create a file named "ExManLog.YES" in Extension Manager folder. 

Windows:

1) Open command prompt as administrator;

2) Change directory to "C:\Program File (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Extension Manager CS6"

3) Run command

echo > ExManLog.YES

Thanks,

Xiaoyi

• 12. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?

Hello Xiaoyi Tong,

Apologies for the delay (a bereavement in the family).   I have carried out the requested activities above.   Please note the path to my EM was different so I ran the command in the directory for my installation.

What would you like me to do now?

regards

Ian

• 13. Re: Adobe Exchange CS6 stops on install of anything?

Xiaoyi,

Please ignore the last email as there have been developments.

When I went into Adobe CS6 Photoshop (64 bit) to recreate the issue (and presumably create some useful debugging logs) this failed.   I could open Photoshop but when I attempted to open the Exchange panel it started to open then totally stopped and froze Photoshop requiring Task Manager to be used to stop and close Photoshop. 

I therefore then used Exchange Manager CS6 to uninstall the Exchange Panel, downloaded the latest Exchange Panel and reinstalled.  This had no effect and Photoshop again hung when the panel was started.  (The panel displays and the timer starts rotating then halts).

After killing Photoshop with the Task Manager again.

I restarted Photoshop with the reset keys held down to remove any preferences.  This worked!!!      Photoshop now allows the opening of the exchange panel and I was able to view and install some .zxp's.

Of course this is not ideal as I now need to reset my preferences hopefully without triggering the issue again. 

I hope this post helps others that get stuck in this loop?

thanks for everyones suggestions.

regards

Ian