27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 8:36 AM by the_wine_snob

PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.

krisrsk9

Short video, PC 7, 64bit, i5 w/ 1T. Help?

• 1. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Please give us some basic information.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Does the Work Area Bar cover your entire timeline in Expert View?

Can you post a screen capture of your movie's timeline in Expert View to this forum so we can see it?

• 2. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
            krisrsk9 Level 1

Here is the screen shot. I am using a DLSR 7100, 1080 24p. It has been working fine and then it asked here a file was and about that time my SD did something and needed windows to repair it. I have been reading other post and trying with no luck.

• 4. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.

It seems to be having its problem with your MOV files.

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com?

Also, under your Edit menu, what are your Project Settings?

• 5. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                krisrsk9 Level 1

AD 1.pngAD 2.png

Capture set to DV however is moot. I am trying to get these videos shot and edited for my small business Titan Ready Water and if you caould call me or I call you . I really need to figure this out ASAP. I would gladly comp. you for your time. We are in the emergency prep. business.

• 6. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                  krisrsk9 Level 1

Also just to see if the program could get aroungd or through this I tried Smart Trim however pop ups saying "Onre or more selected files could not be Auto-Analized.

• 7. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.

Unfortunately, your screen caps are too small for me to read your project settings.

Meantime, go to Edit/Preferences/Media and click the Clean button to clear your Media Cache Database.

The symptoms you're describing are common when someone is running out of space -- although I'm expecting that, on a Windows 7 machine, you have 100s of gigs of free space. And that you've run Windows Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter so that you don't have a bunch of stray temp files fouling things up.

• 8. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                      krisrsk9 Level 1

I have already claened the Cache with no luck and yes i5 processor and 1T clean.

• 9. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

krisrsk9

Have you specifically gone to the Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0 and checked out what you have in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Folder there?

And, as a double check, if you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, where the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at each of those locations?

In your screenshot in post 2, could you move the view so that we can see more of the left side of the tracks. And/or show the whole visible Timeline to determine where else that orange line over the content is presenting?

And, can you open Video track 2 and 3 so that we can see what the thumbnails are for those video tracks?

And, I noticed that you have warning triangle at the bottom left of the workspace. If you click on that, what description is giiven for the warning message?

Could you please include the above in your response to SG?

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                          krisrsk9 Level 1

To answer in order...

Yes I have been there and I cleaned the cache database.

Scrach has 53.8 GB

Screen shot as you requested and thanks!

Also I chatted with support and he took control couldn't figure anything out except to tell me the file was corrupt and to start new. I am willing to do just that and wrrite off this go round as lond as I know how it came to be corrupt so it doesn't happen again.ADO.png

• 11. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                            krisrsk9 Level 1

A shot of rendering and task manager. Everytime it gets to 118 frames and thats it. If I try to render only 2-3 seconds it gets to 100% and freezes. Support took my number and said he would researce it and call back... Didn't happenADO 1.png

• 12. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

krisrsk9

Thanks for the follow up. I just saw your screenshots. It is after 1 am where I am so I will look at this first thing in the morning to see if I can contribute to SG's line of questions and interpretation of what we are seeing.

More later.

ATR

• 13. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.

We still have no idea what project settings the program is set to. Though the yellow line above the clips on the timeline indicates that the there is not a good match between the project settings and your video specs. That's not causing your problem, but it could be contributing to it. Unfortunately, without specifics it's hard to make a recommendation.

Meantime, try doing a File/Save As and save your project to a new location, ideally in a new folder with no other projects. This won't affect any of your work in progress. It just keeps your old files from bumping into your new. Then try rendering your timeline.

If that doesn't work, it appears ATR has some ideas.

• 14. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                  krisrsk9 Level 1

I have the project settings at DSLR-1080pDSLR 1080p24 same as both my cameras. Nikon 7100 and GoPro 3 black both set to 1080p24ADO 2.png

• 15. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

krisrsk9

The plan if Adobe has not already taken you through this drill.

1. Select all of Video 1/Audio 1 content and move the block to the right of Video 1/Audio 1, out of the range of the rest.

Then render the entire Timeline. Where is the orange line over the Timeline?

2. Move Video 1/Audio 1 content back in its original location.

3. Select all of Video 2/Audio 2 content and move the block to the right of Video 2/Audio 2, out of the range of the rest.

Then render the entire Timeline. Where is the orange line over the Timeline?

4. Continue this for Video 3/Audio 3, Video 4/Audio 4.

Let us see what those results show.

Depending on the results, some things to explore....if indeed there is a file in there that is "corrupted", then we will go to Project Assets, right click the suspected file, select Replace Footage, and navigate and select the original file on the computer hard drive. If that works, it will replace the file and retain the edits that you had applied to the "corrupted" version. Lots of ifs in all that, but...

You say that you have 1080p24 from the Nikon and GoPro 3 Black. Do they both have the .mov file extension? Do either have Cineform video codec? And, is the frame rate in each 24 progressive frames per second or 23.94 progressive frames per second?

Let us see if any of the above advances our understanding of what is happening in this situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                      krisrsk9 Level 1

I like the way you think ATR. In your order...

No Adobe did not and I was/am totally unhappy with Adobe support however not your problem.

1-4 I started with #1 seeing straightaway where you were going with this(nice) however knew it was something else first try. So I pulled an image from project assets placing it on video 7, by its self after everything else on timeline. As soon as I dropped it it had an orange line(shouldn't, correct?) moved stops so only new image would render and it reached 100% and then it froze.

froze 2.png

Tried two diferent images, same result.

froze 1.png

Pulled up Task Manager and kept trying to render singe image(I have done nothing to this image as to editting) and it did complete the render and played the section however still had orange line? WTFreak...

render 3rd try.png

Tried second untouched image and it rendered same as above after third try and orange line. When back to other image rendered after 2nd try. Kept jumping back and forth until both would render 1st try however orange line.

render everytime now after 3rd try then 2nd try.png

Shots of both cameras.

Nikon 7100 Prop. details.png

GoPro Prop. details.png

So I noticed one green line and decided to spread it all out.

render spread out.png

Spread out with Task Manager

render spread out 1.png

TMI?

Thanks my friend!

• 17. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                        krisrsk9 Level 1

This is my first project with PE 11 and truth be told, first video project ever. Green screen keying no less.green screen.JPG

Anyway so I am thinking of removing PE11 and any/all files, videos, audios etc. and either reloading and starting everything new or try getting a refund from Adobe and using another editting program. I can't afford to have this happen again. I need these videos for a sale I'm trying to run for my small business and am losing big $$ everyday.

Please advise and thanks!

• 18. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

krisrsk9

Thanks for going through the suggested troubleshooting.

I am just starting my day and will take a deeper look into these latest details in a few hours.

But, for now, the following thought that may get us beyond the impasse of this current project.......

Rendering the Timeline content is not a requirement to be able to export your Timeline to a file saved to the

computer hard drive or to disc. But, it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. What happens if you go with what you have and take it to export? Does the export meet your requirements?

As a guide to what next decisions, have you reconstructed the assets of this current project in a new one to determine if this current rendering matter is project specific or source media specific?

But let me see if I can pick up on anything in your screenshots that might direct us in decision making.

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                            krisrsk9 Level 1

OK so if I start with a new project and bring in a new image never uesd in PE11 before and drop it on to the timeline, It has an orange line from the get go and rendering freezes.

I'm thinking the rendering part of PE11 is bad at my end somehow and so I uninstall PE11 and reinstall it? I can't have this happen again so where is the problem and how do I safeguard from it happening again? Buy an Apple?!?

• 20. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

krirsk9

Any chance you could post a MediaInfo (tree view) properties readout for each of the two video sources?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

and include with that what the current project preset is?

Have you had a chance to see what the export would look like in spite of the Timeline rendering situation?

I still have not gotten to digging into your latest screenshots. Hopefully before midnight.

I am determined to find the answer to this.

ATR

• 21. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                                krisrsk9 Level 1

So here is where it is at. I start a new project. Add one single image(jpeg) never used in PE11 and as soon as it hits the timeline, orange line and render freezes up. doesn't matter what I do.

I am waiting on chat help with 21 people ahead of me and fit to be tied!

If I uninstall and reinstall and use all new source material 1. will it work? 2. could this happen again?

I know unless we know what is the cause... can't answer #2 however I can't spend any more time trouble shooting this. I need to either get this program to work or buy a different one and get to work.

Thanks

• 22. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Krisrsk9,

When one Imports, and adds a Still Image to the Timeline, PrE will need to Render that, for the smoothest possible playback. Usually, one can easily edit, without that Rendering, though the yellowish-orange line appears above that Still Image.

The Still Image is basically converted to "synthetic Video," as it is X number of Still Frames. The indicator that Rendering is needed, for smoothest playback, of that synthetic Video is normal.

Now, with your camera's Video (the MOV Clips), if the Project matches the MOV file's specs. perfectly, that colored line should NOT appear above the Clip.

Things are a bit different between a Still Image, and its synthetic Video, and a Video Clip.

As ATR mentions, whether one does the Render, or not, depends on how smoothly, the Timeline plays. However, as he and Steve point out, with Video Assets, initial colored lines above a Clip, indicate a mis-match at some level, between the Video and the Project.

That does not address why Rendering of the Timeline is not completing, but I think that you are ATR are on the right track in finding a solution to that behavior. I just wanted to offer a little background on the Still Image, in your recent test, and a bit of background on Rendering in general.

Good luck, and I will watch for your success.

Hunt

• 23. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

krisrsk9

I have dug into those screenshots.

I still would like to see what the project looks like after export to define the scope of the problem. That would tell a lot.

Focus  1..Vulnerability in Preview Files Automatic Generation

When you render a Timeline content with its orange (or red) line over it, the program automatically generates preview files. These files are the same whether you render a still or video. In the case of HD, they are 960 x 540 MPEG2.mpeg files @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. Each of these comes with a companion .xmp file. The overall contribution of each can be at least 8 MB. They add up quickly and need to be directed to a hard drive space with enough free space to accept them.

Often, the program works best if the all the scratch disks are directed to the same place, namely an external hard drive (formatted NTFS) with all the space I have eluded to.

a. Where is the Media Cache directed? Get that to the same place as the others. The save location of previews and conformed audio are set in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. The save location of the project is set in the new project dialog.

If I recall, somewhere you said that the Scratch Disks are directed to a location with only 50 GB free hard drive space. Is that correct? That might be a focus point.

Focus 2. Properties of these .mp4 and .mov files.

I would like to get a sample of one of each. Any chance you could post these samples so that I would test them in Premiere Elements?

The above is my latest thinking on this. Right now I am not buying into corrupt files.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                                      krisrsk9 Level 1

ATR, Bill,

Thanks for being patient with me. I will post as I work through your request.

MediaInfo... The First is the 7100 so that would make the second GoPro. FYI: I have not used any GoPro video yet so moot on this problem however I will try to get you everything requested.

MediaInfo 7100.png

MediaInfo GoPro.png

Krisrsk9

• 25. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                                        krisrsk9 Level 1

ATR & Bill,

First Bill... I understand what you said about still images and I learned something, thanks!

ATR... You nailed it my friend. Background: I have never done any video editing and the only camera time I have is shooting skydive video for several years in my twenties so I have been teaching myself how to do all of this, green screen, lighting, different shots, being in front of the camera(the worst part), and editing in the last seven days. The Adobe supportguy chatted me up for an hour and ended with corrupt file. I sent you shots with Task Manager because when I would start the render CPU Usage would hit the lid!

To have a solid foundation I uninstalled and reinstalled PrE and connected an external HD 1.5T and routed ScrachDisk like this. Is this correct? Please advise.

ScrachDisk1.png

After doing so added video clip from 7100 and it rendered!  I did know about rendering only effecting editing workspace and export did its own thing. With 6 layer video and so many cuts in audio and video(Hey i'm green, green) I needed to see as close to real time as I could to sync everything and make sure my keying was right through out each clip.

Thanks my gut says you nailed it however you will see me again if not. I found my support. Ever need any emergency preparedness gear, I am a maufacturer so now you "got a guy for that."

• 26. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

krisrsk9

What a great way to start my day with such great news. Congratulations with your success. Special thank you for staying with the troubleshooting and follow ups.

I do not know if you do any DV or HDV firewire Captures, but what you set for Captured Video and Captured Audio in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disc will be reflected in the Save In of the Capture Window for DV or HDV.

The free hard drive space at the hard drive save location for the Scratch Disks looks fine. If the present direction of the Scratch Disks is working for you, then let it be. But when you have time, you may want to think ahead when the question comes up, "How do I delete a project when I no longer want it?"

One answer to that question might be to go through each of those folders and delete the assets specific to the named project. Another way that has long been suggested by SG and others, it to set up so that each project and its assets go into its folder. This way you do not have to go picking through each of the folders (Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save, Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, etc) to find and delete only those items related to the project that you want to delete.

Remember, do not move the source media that went into a project after the project has been saved closed. Nasty Media Offline (Missing Media) reconnect issues if you do. See Project Archiver (Archive or Copy) option as lifesaver. It is a do before rather than a fix afterward.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

Major thought...get this present project finished and then consider what next.

More later.

ATR

• 27. Re: PE 11 will not complete rendering process and I do have orange bars over work in timeline.
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Krisrsk9,

Great news, and thank you for the update.

To expound a bit on ATR's comments, regarding the locations of folders, both for Assets (the various Videos, Stills, graphics, etc., used in a Project), and for Scratch Disks, this article has one possible layout: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4028199#4028199

While such a folder layout is not the only way to set up a Project, it has the advantage of keeping everything under the Project's "root folder," keeps things neat and allows one to do cleanup efficiently. The one downside is that one does sacrifice some ultimate performance with this arrangement.

For that ultimate performance, one would modify the layout, with a "root folder" for each Project, separate on each of perhaps 3 physical HDD's, with say Assets on one HDD, Scratch Disks on another, Output (Export/Publish+Share) on another. Then, to remove, one would need to navigate to that Projects folder, on each HDD, and Delete those. Some power users would take it a step farther, and have the Video Assets on one HDD, while the Audio Assets would be on another, different HDD. The performance increase, that they get is real, but not that large. One also needs many fast HDD's (7200 RPM minimum), with fast controllers. For most PrE Projects, I think that such an arrangement is a bit of overkill, as the performance return is not enough to affect editing. If one is cutting a feature film on PrPro, then there IS a measurable increase in performance.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt