3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 12:28 PM by John T Smith

Best CPU/MOBO upgrade?

Moxtelling Level 1

Hi

I have e reasonable system, but it is beginning to give me some problems from time to time - mostly in playback, switching between apps, rendering etc. My MOBO does not fully support my new disks - so....

So I guess it is about time to make some upgrades

But what should I go for?  I want to make an upgrade that will last for two years - at least - and are willing to pay for it, but on the other hand i do not want to pay more for something that is not faster/better than something that is less expensive.

My existing system::

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

24,0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (8-8-8-20)

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EX58-UD4 (Socket 1366)

1280MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Hard Drives

224GB KINGSTON SH100S3240G SCSI Disk Device (SSD) (Windows and some applications)

2795GB Intel Raid 0 Volume (RAID) (2 X 1,5 TB WD Black Caviar 7200 in RAID 0 - onboard RAID controller - used mostly for data - like videofiles)

2 X 3726GB Western Digital Black - NOT RAID - for backup of data.(Almost brand new disks - my 2 X 1.5 TB 4 year old Seagate disks crashed recently).

My plan was to buy a new MOBO and CPU and 32 or maybe even 64 GB RAM (its quite cheap right now, right? ). With a new MOBO I could also get more speed on the disks as my MOBO does not support the new disks 600 MB/Sec but only 150 MB/sec. Guess a new MOBO and CPU would give me some more speed and a more responsive system.

I kind of like Gigabytes MOBOs. Have tried ASUS in the past. I would be willing to pay for a i3970X CPU, but the i3960X is at sale right now - I could also buy the i4960K ??? But what would I gain in buying the the 3970x or 4960k instead of the the much less expensive 3960x?

Wich RAM should I go for 1800 or 2400?

I´m not to much into OC - as you might have seen from my specs. I have tried, but my machine gets to hot and unstable - even though I have a very large cabinet and plenty of cooling. I prefer silent - and stable - machines as well ;-)

Any suggestions for a MOBO/CPU/RAM combi that would give me some new life to my old PC?

Thx in advance...

/Morten