• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I convince Digital Editions that I don't have JAWS/NVDA running?

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, DE 2.0

We are unable to move from page to page in a document with PgUp/PgDn keys, or by using the scroll bar at the bottom of the pane.  It apears that DE thinks JAWS/NVDA is running.  As far as we can tell, those programs aren't even installed. 

Is there a DE installation parameter that drives this?  Or a toggle somewhere that can be used to turn JAWS/NVDA mode off?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't need the screen reader function, try the more reliable older version.

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A version regression is all well and good. However, the sane version of DE, also running on W7 with all updates, and reading the same identical snook, behaves normally.

So, I'd ask again: Is there anything in DE that tells it it has a reader running? On an .ini file or something somewhere?

Sent from my mobile phone.

Dave Jenkins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2013 Sep 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regression to DE 1.7 provided a workaround for the problem on that machine, but is not a fix, per se.

What's making DE 2 think we have a screen reader running?

Sent from my mobile phone.

Dave Jenkins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 28, 2013 Sep 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree the old version is a workaround, but you may have a long wait for Adobe to fix ADE2.0.

After well over a year they produced 2.0.1, and as far as I can see with none of the huge number of bugs fixed.

I've never heard ADE2 described as 'sane' before ... it seems most inappropriate for one of the worst pieces of software out there ...

(but I guess you mean the same version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines