16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 9:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?

windowl52

I created a slideshow using Premiere Elements 11.  For my upgrade to Photoshop Elements and Premiere 11, I even completed the course Classroom in a Book for both programs.  I have had both Photoshop Elements and Premiere since the 8th edition and have been creating slide shows for quite a while.  So when I rendered my slide show in Premiere 11 and burned the DVD, I was quite upset at the quality of the video, no matter where I watched it, DVD player, computer, HD tv.  So I started all over again (my son's wedding pictures) this time in Photoshop Elements 11, Organiser, slideshow option.  Save it as WMV and different formats available on my computer to be safe.  Then I sent it to Premiere 11 to be burned to a DVD...  I knew something was wrong as when it was imported it had the orange line... It all went sour when it rendered the slideshow and produce the same poor quality DVD.  Tried different format, widescreen, standard with the same ghastly results. I have been at this all my available time for the past week as I wanted to send the finished results to my son for his birthday.  Can't send that production it is so distorted and pathetic although the audio is great.  As a last resort I went to my resident Windows Media and burned a DVD with the Task option from the video/slideshow Photoshop Elements had saved on my computer.  The video is fantastic with crisp and clear audio and video.  Now why can't Premiere do that?  So, so frustrated and disappointed.  AND what a waste of my precious time.

• 2. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

windowl52

The explanation for your Premiere Elements experiences may or may not be in the details of your project setup and the considerations that go into it. Yes, I realize that you are going by the Classroom in Book paths, but, if you would like, I will go step by step over what you have done to see if we can identify areas that need attention in the workflow.

1. Where are you creating this slideshow...Elements Organizer and then Premiere Elements11 or solely in Premiere Elements 11?

2. You say that you have Premiere Elements 11. On what computer operating system is it running? Windows 7 or 8 64 bit or other?

3. What is on your Timeline, photos and videos or just photos. What is the total duration of the Timeline content?

For photos, what are the pixel dimension and how many photos?

For videos, what format, 1080i, 1080p, other?

What is your project preset? Please check via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size readouts.

4. When you get to burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, what does the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Do you do burn to with or without a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space? If without, where do you have the

Quality Slider position and what is the Space Required and Bitrate at that position of the Quality Slider?

5. Have you tried to apply any Remove Flicker or Anti-Flicker options?

Please consider the above and then please let me know if you would like to work through this.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I did not see SG's post until after I had posted mine.

• 4. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that you are attempting to post a Reply from an e-mail POP client. That often leads to your text not showing, though you might not have been made aware of that.

If possible, can you access the PrE Forum via a browser, so that your text does show up?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

windowl52

Thanks for trying to follow up.

Please try again with Hunt's suggestion.

We are looking forward to working with you to see if we can find a solution to your Premiere Elements workflow issues.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                windowl52 Level 1

windowl52

The explanation for your Premiere Elements experiences may or may not be in the details of your project setup and the considerations that go into it. Yes, I realize that you are going by the Classroom in Book paths, but, if you would like, I will go step by step over what you have done to see if we can identify areas that need attention in the workflow.

1. Where are you creating this slideshow...Elements Organizer and then Premiere Elements11 or solely in Premiere Elements 11?

I tried both.  Elements Organizer 11 and sending the slide show to Premiere 11 to burn the DVD.  The resulting DVD had fuzzy video or pictures.  I even started over from scratch in Premiere 11 to obtain the same resulting video poor fuzziness DVD.  The image seem to deteriorate after rendering the Timeline.

2. You say that you have Premiere Elements 11. On what computer operating system is it running? Windows 7 or 8 64 bit or other?

Windowl 7, 64 bit

3. What is on your Timeline, photos and videos or just photos. What is the total duration of the Timeline content?

I have photos only (most of them are at least 4 mb to 8 mb) along with a music track.  No videos.

For photos, what are the pixel dimension and how many photos?

A typical picture would be abour 5 MB with the image size of 4752 x 3168 pixel

This project is 30:41:24 in duration and there are

For videos, what format, 1080i, 1080p, other?

Format - HD 1080i,

What is your project preset? Please check via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size readouts.

Frame Size: 1920 Horizontal and 1080 vertical

Timebase:  29:97 frames/second

4. When you get to burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, what does the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Do you do burn to with or without a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space? If without, where do you have the

Quality Slider position and what is the Space Required and Bitrate at that position of the Quality Slider?

I  tried both and usually chose the Quality Slider to the end of + and check that it is the same readout as Fit Content to Available Space - usually comparable For this project the Space required is 1.94 GB (Bitrate 8.00 Mbps) for a NTSC_ Widescreen_Dolby DVD 

5. Have you tried to apply any Remove Flicker or Anti-Flicker options?

N o, I am not familiar with these options  

Please consider the above and then please let me know if you would like to work through this.

Y es please, I want to get the best possible output and am investing lots of time and effort into these project.  I am an good amateur photographer and like to assemble my projects, trips or events into slideshow productions to view on the big screen tv and to share with family and friends. 

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

windowl52

Thanks for getting through with your details. I am finishing up some troubleshooting for another and expect to be finished with that within the hour. At that time I will organize my thoughts and suggestions for a workflow for you to try and hope to post them within the next few hours.

Just one detail more...how many photos are you using in the slideshow? I did a rough calculations based on 30 minute slideshow, with each photo having a duration of 5 seconds...that came out to about 360 photos. Did I come close to the number?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                    windowl52 Level 1

Thank you for your attention and your help in this matter.  I was getting discouraged and was very frustrated, but with your help we will resolve this issue.  I do like Photoshop Premier and Elements 11, but like all things, as long as they work and behave as they should or hope they would.  You are correct, the slideshow has 356 slides and would include a menu (some scenes slide are a bit longer).

Greatly appreciating your help,

Joanne

• 9. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Joanne

I was tempted to go into a lot of background information on the topic, but I think maybe it is best to cut to the plan and then backup into background after we see if "round 1" is successful in our search for better for your video project.

Goal: Slideshow with about 356 photos presently each at about 4752 x 3168 pixels (3:2).

No matter how great the photo resolution, it will be forced by the program to the sizing of the export standard, in this case, 720 x 480 pixels with a 16:9 flag to stretch it for display after encoding. Using photos of higher resolution does not always translate into sharper end product and for many leads to all sorts of problems. But, if you can get what you have to work for you, then go with. But, since you come with problems, the following are initial considerations to avoid those problems.

1. You come with 356 photos 4752 x 3168 pixels 3:2. That means the program will need to sized them to 720 x 480 to be stretched by a 16:9 flag in the process of getting your your NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen. First order of business, since you are going 3:2 to 16:9, batch crop resize rather than just batch resize. The batch crop resize can be done in a free program called IrfanView unless you have another preferred program for the task.

http://www.irfanview.com/

If you need any help on the how to for that, please let us know.

2. Open your Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit, go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

Make sure to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" before you exit the new project dialog.

Close out of there.

3. In the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your batch cropped resized photos into the project. From Progress Assets drag them to the Timeline.

4. Some report that Anti-Flicker has a tendency to blur which would seem counterproductive to your goal of the sharpest pictures viewable. But in my instance images with sharp lines can present in the end product with flicker. You could selectively apply Anti-Flicker to your photos. In this first round, let us apply the Anti-Flicker to all. To do that:

a. highlight the first photo, go to its Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and at the bottom of the Motion Panel expanded move the Anti-Flicker to 1.00.

b. highlight the first photo, select Edit Menu/Copy.

c. highlight the rest of the photos (altogether), select Edit/Paste Effects and Adjustments.

5. Continue on to Menus. Try to pick a menu whose scene page has enough buttons to minimize the number of scene pages produced (If you had 12 scene markers on the Timeline, try for a menu with a scene page of 6 buttons per page so that you get only 2 scene pages. If you were to select a menu with a scene page of 3 buttons per page, then, with those 12 scene markers on the Timeline, you would end up with 4 scene pages.

6. In Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, use the preset NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Before doing any of the above, assure that your computer is optimized..defragmented, run through of ccleaner

Look for and clean out any pile ups of preview files and conformed audio cfa and pek sets (Adobe Folder) and conformed video .mcdb files (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database Clean button.)

Then there is the usual drill about checking to make sure that your video card driver version is up to date according to the manufacturer of the video card.

I would suggest trying this as a mini test run to see if any of the above causes any positive changes from what you have been getting. Then we can decide what next in fine tuning. With some prior versions, one of the remedies that worked for blurry end product was uninstall/reinstall of the program, but I do not believe that we are anywhere near that phase.

Looking forward to your results. We will find the recipe.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                        windowl52 Level 1

Thank you for your suggestion.  I have downloaded irfanview, but I have to admit it is not easy for me to work my way around the issue of batch crop resize issue.  Yes your help in this matter would be helpful.

• 11. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Joanne

Thanks for the follow up. It is pushing 11:30 pm where i am. I will get together a step by step on that IrfanView and get it posted by tomorrow morning.

ATR

• 12. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Joanne

I am working from IrfanView version 4.35.

Create a computer desktop folder with copies of your photos for batch cropping and resizing.

Open IrfanView and go to File Menu/"Batch Conversion/Rename..."

On the top right "Look In" browse to the desktop folder with your copies of your photos to be cropped/resized, open the folder so that you see your photos as thumbnails. Then hit the Add all button below. You should then see a listing for those photos in the area below the buttons for Sort files, Add, Add all, etc.

Now look to the left of the Batch Conversion dialog to where it lists "Use Advanced Options for bulk resize" (that should have a check mark next to it). Click on Advanced next to that option.

IrfanView 1.JPG

Now in the Set for all images dialog, set as shown in the screenshot below.

Then click Save Settings. After that click OK to the Set for all images dialog.

You should then just be seeing the Batch Conversion dialog.

IrfanViewAdvanced.JPG

The batch cropped/resized files will be saved to a folder created by IrfanView.

I left the default as listed under "Output directory for result files:"

After making sure everything is setup, then hit the "Start Batch" button and

check out the result in the folder on the computer desktop.

Please let us know if that worked for you. I road tested it again this morning. Results were good.

But, do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification on anything that I have

written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                              windowl52 Level 1

13Aug03BestWestCocktailHr-23.JPG

Hi ATR,

Sorry it is I, again.  Tried the IrfanView batch crop resizing option using the settings you suggested.  Did it a few times at different setting, but all the time very few picture of the batch are acceptable as you can see from the inserted one to give you an example...  But following your trend of thought, I am thinking of doing it manually with the Photoshop Elements 11 Editor where I would hope to have more control on the resulting picture.  Correct me if I am wrong...  the ratio should be 16:9 and what should be the resolution.  Right now I think that it is at 300.  I would put all the resulting pictures in a folder to later import into Premiere via the add media at the settings you previously mentioned.  What do you think?

Thanks for you patience in this.  These pictures mean the world to me and I want to thank the people that came to our son's wedding with a slideshow video.  So you see why it is important to have the best possible quality possible.  I like Photoshop and have all of our pictures since archived in the Organizer.  So I want to make this work. 

I will continue to persevere and I am very grateful for your help, inpute and dedication.

Joanne

Thank

• 14. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Joanne

The goal is 16:9 at 1920 x 1080 16:9 or, if you need more room for pans and zoom, then consider not to exceed the 2200 x 1238 16:9.

If you need more control of your resized photos, before you consider individual resizing at any level, the following looks good. Do you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Mine comes with Microsoft Office 2010 suite of products. If you have that I will give you a step by step on that which seems to give the wanted control.

We will be watching for your further comments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Joanne,

A quick note about "resolution." With Still Images, the only "resolution" that needs to be considered, when used in Video, is pixel x pixel. DPI (Dots per Inch), and LPI (Lines per Inch) are for printing, where PPI (Pixels per Inch) is for Web/computer monitor display. With Video, they do not matter, and are not used. You can leave the DPI/LPI/PPI at whatever you want.

If you look at the Templates for Menu Sets from PrE, in Photoshop/PsE, you will likely see the PPI set to 72, but that is just to display on your computer's monitor, and will be completely ignored, when used in a Video.

A DPI of 72 will look exactly the same, as a DPI of 3000 - in Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Why does PS Premiere produce such poor video quality DVDs for slideshow production?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Joanne

In reflection, batch cropping with Microsoft Office Picture Manager may be easier to process than IrfanView, but, because of your images, you will probably end up on a one by one basis.

If you are doing your cropping in Photoshop Elements with its Crop Tool, leave the resolution at its default or blank in the crop options. Whether you type in 72 to 300 there, Image Resize will display 72 ppi its default. Ignore that.

If you have not been to the scantips web pages, you may want to check out them out. The following is a sampling.

http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

Please do not hesitate to post if you need supplemental information.

Thanks.

ATR