5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 8:21 AM by ckyle74567

Any problems with RH10 demo on the same machine as RH9?

ckyle74567

I need to install the RH10 demo with captivate on a machine with RH9. Will that create any problems?

• 1. Re: Any problems with RH10 demo on the same machine as RH9?
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

Both will run OK but Rh10 will become the version that opens when you double click an XPJ file. If you later uninstall Rh10 it may not revert to Rh## but a quick reinstall should fix that.

If you try to open an earlier version project, you will get a warning and the option to back out without upgrading the project. There are some hacks for reverting to an earlier version but they are not recommended.

Use copies of your Rh## projects to work in 10 while you experiment.

Ideally, use another machine.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Any problems with RH10 demo on the same machine as RH9?
            ckyle74567 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Originally, I installed the RH10 Demo first and then later I installed RH9 on the same machine. This worked pretty well - clicking on a RH9 .xpj file opened RH9 and clicking on a RH10 .xpj file opened RH10. A collegue wants to install the RH10 + Captivate demos on his machine that already has RH9. Sounds like that may not be a best practice. As we transition to RH10, we will still need to be able to run RH9. I'm assuming that there won't be any licensing issues. The RH9 projects and files are for an existing version of our product and are in a ClearCase source control system where the help is built from the command line. The RH10 projects and files will be for the next generation product and will be in a different source control program. It sounds like we will need to think thru how we implement RH9 and 10.

• 3. Re: Any problems with RH10 demo on the same machine as RH9?
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there

I'm thinking something is amiss here. When Microsoft Windows installs files, it typically associates a file extension such as .XPJ with an executable. As there can only be one .XPJ file type, it would have to choose RoboHelp 9 or RoboHelp 10. There would be no way for Windows to distinguish between the two versions. This is a Windows behavior and not a RoboHelp behavior and it is what my friend Peter described.

Bottom line is that RoboHelp 7, 8, 9 and 10 may peacefully coexist on a single machine (I have all four on one machine) you need more testing before committing to any workflow that would involve operating solely using XPJ files.

Cheers... Rick

• 4. Re: Any problems with RH10 demo on the same machine as RH9?
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

If you are planning on keeping both versions rather than just using Rh10 as a trial, then as already indicated that is OK as long as you are aware Rh will open in the last installed version if you double click an XPJ.

Opening from the required version is OK and you can add both versiions to your Send To menu so that you can pick from there.

The issue is opening projects in the wrong version and that is in your control.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 5. Re: Any problems with RH10 demo on the same machine as RH9?
                  ckyle74567 Level 1

Rick - Thanks for your reply. Makes sense about Windows and the .XPJ file type. In our case the .XPJ file is under the control of the source management system and can be used to launch RH without checking out the .XPJ file. This needs some testing.  In Windows 7, you can associate a single file or all files of a certain type with a specific program.  It was helpful to know that multiple versions can coexist on one machine. - Thanks - Charlie