4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 5:14 AM by VDOSurfer

Aspect-ratio

emveha67

Hi there,

I use all kinds of media (photos, videos) in my projects with different kinds of aspect-ratios. My photocameras have aspect ratios of 1;1,5 and 1;1.33. My videocamera hs an aspect ratio of 16;9.

Everytime i import clips (with different aspect ratios) in PRE the aspect ratio is different.

What is the reason of this? Is it possible to set an aspect ratio in advance?

Thanks for your replies!

Marcel

Culemborg

Holland

• 1. Re: Aspect-ratio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can set the aspect ratio in advance by starting a new project and, on the New Project option screen, clicking Settings and selecting your project template. Then, back at the New Project option screen, check the box that says Force Settings. This will keep the program from automatically setting the project to match whatever video you add.

But do note that Premiere Elements is only capable of working with 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio video projects.

• 2. Re: Aspect-ratio
            A.T. Romano Level 7

emveha67

Could you expand upon what you have asked and to which SG has replied?

For your photocameras

What are the pixel dimensions that go with your aspect ratio "1;1,5" and aspect ratio "1;1.33"?

For your videocamera

What are the pixel dimensions that go with your aspect ratio "16;9"

And, for the video, what is the frame rate and is it interlaced or progressive? If interlaced, is the Field Order =

Upper Field First or Lower Field First?

With that information we can suggest how you should be arriving at the goal of selecting a Premiere Elements project preset

to match the properties of your source media.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Aspect-ratio
              emveha67 Level 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, were helpful.

@ATR: I do some work on the pics in Lightroom en when I export them to add them to a PRE-project I mostly put the long side to 1800 pixels. So for 1:1,5 pics the dimensions are 1800x1200 pixels and for an aspect ratio of 1:1,33 the dimensions are 1800x1350 pixels. I work with DSLR's and compact cameras.

I work with different videos from different "cameras". My Handycam has pixeldimensions of 720x576, 25 fps, my compactcamera has pixeldimensions of 640x480 pixels, 30 fps and my iPhone has pixeldimensions of 1280x720, 29fps... I use all these media in one project, maybe it's a nightmare for PRE...:-)

I don't know anything about interlaced or progressive. Where can I get this info?

I still have another question: When I "force" PRE to set the aspect ratio to 16:9 and I import a picture with an aspect ratio of e.g. 1:1,5 PRE fits this picture within the frame and blacks out the left and right side and this is how i want it to be. But when i want to apply "panning and zooming" (i hope you understand this, i work with the Dutch version) to this picture, this tool fits only the width of the picture and cuts away the top and bottom. Is there a way to control this?

Thanks again!

Marcel

• 4. Re: Aspect-ratio
                VDOSurfer Level 3

Using multiple types of media in a single project is usually a strict no-no. But there have been too many folks in this and other editing forums who "need" to do this. Almost in all places, there is a suggestion to get the clips to a common ground before you do the final export. Let me explain.

1. If you have clips with multiple resolutions between them, bring them separately into Premiere Elements and then export them to a common resolution. Like a 640x480 clip and a 1440x1080 clip can be exported separately into 1280x720 @ 24 fps progressive and then the exported files can be brought into Premiere Elements for native editing. This is not mandatory. But just something that is done to ensure cleaner editing. It will also give you a good idea of how the exported file will look like when doing such a resolution conversion in the first place. Multiple editing does reduce the quality of the file, but I have not found a visible difference if done carefully (matching the properties of the source and the export presets as close or proportional as possible).

2. Images can be edited in another app so as to bring them into a native resolution. This is necessary for two reasons. One is that the exported video with these images will have a good match with the rest of the videos; and Premiere Elements really is not a good software for image editing. not in terms of features and not in terms of ability. And it does not claim to be as well. There is Photoshop Elements that does this brilliantly.

Regarding Pan&Zoom tool in PrE, you are right that the borders are ignored. And I suspect it takes in only that portion that remains after eliminating the border and maintaining the aspect ratio according to the current project settings. What you see in that view is all that you will be allowed to edit as I see. Why? I wonder.

Hope it helps..