3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 4:10 AM by Andrew_S

Firewire 800 -> thunderbolt Adaptor ... Sony V1U, not recognized by Premiere Pro

prchn4christ1

I have a Sony HVR-V1U that I used to shoot some video. I'm trying to transfer the video from the miniDV tapes to Adobe Premiere on a 2012 iMac, using a i.Link / FireWire 800 - Thunderbolt adaptor. i am not getting video to work in either Premiere or iMovie. Is there anyway to use this camera to transfer video through thunderbolt, or am I at a loss with the incapability of Thunderbolt to work with FireWire from older devices?

• 1. Re: Firewire 800 -> thunderbolt Adaptor ... Sony V1U, not recognized by Premiere Pro
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I've only seen one person get it to work.  Don't know how.  Most often you need that genuine FireWire 400 connection on the computer, either built-in or with an add-on card, to get PP to recognize the device.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Firewire 800 -> thunderbolt Adaptor ... Sony V1U, not recognized by Premiere Pro
            prchn4christ1 Level 1

That must be the trick ... I tried connecting the camera to my 2011 iMac through FireWire 800 and I still couldn't get it to be recognized. However, I stuck it in my 2006 MacBook through Firewire 400, and it worked fine. Glad I got it off the miniDV, not just to transfer from macbook to iMac

• 3. Re: Firewire 800 -> thunderbolt Adaptor ... Sony V1U, not recognized by Premiere Pro
              Andrew_S Level 3

Although this may not help in this case, it might be of use in the future to someone.

Running Premiere 6.0.3 (The IT dept have not yet got around to installing 6.0.5)

New iMacs (Sept 2013) the top of the range 27 inch model (to enable GPU usage) running bootcamp, latest Apple Mac OS or Windows 7.

Sony GV-HD700E HDV player connected via an apple FireWire to thunderbolt adapter.

Set up premiere on the Mac OS as an HDV project and then tried to capture a clip from the player. The picture in the capture window was very jerky with audio that could not be listened to as it was breaking up all the time. HOWEVER, the resultant captured file plays back in premiere just fine. (On a third machine the audio problem was less (but still jerky pictures) as it only was heard once in a capture session.)

Re-boot to Windows 7 and repeat the tests. No problems!

Incidentally on one machine (Mac OS) when I plugged in the adapter, it insisted it was a network adaptor of some sort which needed configuring. After getting nowhere with it (I don't have admin rights) it transpired that it worked OK as a FireWire adapter after all.

Update

The thunderbolt to firewire adaptor should be left plugged in at all times. When an iMac boots up (Mac or Windows OS) it recognises the adaptor is there, and does not show any prompts about the adaptor. In fact, its mandatory that it is connected before booting to windows or the adaptor will not be recognised as being attached.

The audio breaking up / very bad crackling can be cured by simply playing a clip in the source or programme window first, then open the capture window and the audio is OK. Once done you don't need to repeat this procedure ever again. Its a one off fix following a new install of the software. Odd!

1 person found this helpful