9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2013 12:11 PM by mikecox_

Asset preview window missing in v12

mikecox_

I just installed v12 and fount that media loads directely into the timeline, without first loading into the "Project assest" window where they can be dragged to the preview window, cut up and added to the assets with "save as".

In version 11 this was the default.  Did Adober remove this optoin in v12 or is it just no longer the default; does something have to be setup in preferneces to get it back?

• 1. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Preview window launches, as always, only when you double-click a clip in Project Assets or on the timeline.

In Quick mode, any video you add goes directly to the timeline and there is no Project Assets panel. In Expert mode, video is first added to the Project Assets panel -- just as in version 11.

• 2. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael,

Please confirm the following:

a. Are you in the Expert, Quick, ExpertGuided, or QuickGuided workspace?

b. What are you selecting for Add Media? Add Media/Files and Folders or something else?

Except for a few new features, I have found that Premere Elements 11 and 12 are essentially the same.

I am currently going through that drill point by point in by blog.

Just a friend to friend curiosity question...what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Is it the same computer that you have/had 11 on?

ATR

• 3. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
              mikecox_ Level 1

Greetings ATR;

I feel really stupid and embarrased

v11 opened in Expert mode by default but for two reasons I failed to notice.

1. I haven't been doing any video editing this year; so the axion: "use it or loose it" applies

2. I was expecting changes!  v12 opened in Quick Mode and I didn't notice and when I did; and switched, I didn't get the preview scren right away and jumpted the gun! So, just before going to bed last night, I poped the question and when I saw Steve's answer this morning I realized what I'd done. 

I hate wasting peoples time with stupid, unresearched, questions; and I appologize for doing so now

To your quesion; I am still using Win7, but I have a new Asus UX32VD laptop; with a SSD, running Win8. I'm hoping to see an improvement in the performance of Pe because of the SSD and 10GB, maxed out, available memory.  I have yet to install it and I'm wondering if I can, legally, install my copy of the program on both computer; or if I am required to purchase a second copy?

• 4. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless Adobe has changed the license agreement, you are allowed to install and activate on 2 computers (idea being desktop and laptop) you just aren't supposed to USE both at the same time

• 5. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Thanks for the follow. I was in the process of adding on to my post when your reply knocked my post off.

Glad you worked out the details. Good job. I was going to question you on the "Save As" that you seem to mention as part of your Preview Windows trimming process. I see saving trim as subclip to Project Assets from Preview Window or dragging trim from Preview Window to Timeline, but I still cannot figure out how you get a "Save As" into the process. File Menu/Save As makes a copy of the whole project.

You should be able to have a copy of your purchased Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 and Windows 8 64 bit. That constitutes the no more than 2 of your computers with same purchased serial number requirement. But, it is my understanding from prior posts here that you cannot or should not be using the programs at the same time. One at a time.

ATR

• 6. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
                    mikecox_ Level 1

you just aren't supposed to USE both at the same time

Seems a strange rule, I mean; how would they police such a rule?

Of course it would be hard to keep a catalog straight if you were trying use two computers on a single catalog; probably not even possible

My Asus is more powerful than my desktop so I will be migrating to it; after I get a large monitor, then use it for most of my editing work. I just wanted to make sure it was legal to install it on both machines.  I expect I will use the laptop exclusively once I've transitioned.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
                      mikecox_ Level 1

I was going to question you on the "Save As"

Yes, of course you are correct; there is no "save As" option, I was remembering it wrong.  Since I posted this I have edited some video files.  Sorting each clip into a folder, then editing each clip and dragging them to the folder. So I'd down with the process now .

• 8. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

As always, thanks for responding to my questions.

It sounds like you are getting off to a good start with Premiere Elements 12. If you mastered 11, version 12 should go smoothly.

If you want some interesting reading, take a look at the list and names of those 267 or 268 sound effects under the Audio Tab in the bottom row of the Expert and Quick workspaces. It will bring a smile. I have not downloaded any of them to listen to them. That is for tomorrow. But, the names alone make you curious as to what they sound like.

ATR

• 9. Re: Asset preview window missing in v12
                          mikecox_ Level 1

take a look at the list and names of those 267 or 268 sound effects under the Audio Tab

Thanks, I'll do that.