5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 8:11 AM by Michael Witherell

TOC Trouble

Svirfneblin

Hi, I'm using CS6, and I've run into two issues that may or may not be related:

1. Since first creating my TOC, I've added and deleted character styles, but the changes aren't reflected in the basic TOC options when I go to edit my TOC. (Styles I've deleted still appear in Other Styles, while styles I've recently created don't appear.)

2. I can't work out how to create a TOC that produces nested pdf bookmarks. (Don't know if nested is the right word.) For example, so readers can get a list of many sub-bookmarks by clicking one of a lesser number of primary book marks. Does InDesign do this?

• 1. Re: TOC Trouble
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

(Styles I've deleted still appear in Other Styles, while styles I've recently created don't appear.)

It may there's a character nested style include in the paragraph style.

I can't work out how to create a TOC that produces nested pdf bookmarks.

1- On the Table of Content options check on Include PDF Bookmarks

2-  When export to PDF check on: Include Bookmarks

bookmarks.jpg

• 2. Re: TOC Trouble
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Svirfneblin wrote:

1. Since first creating my TOC, I've added and deleted character styles, but the changes aren't reflected in the basic TOC options when I go to edit my TOC. (Styles I've deleted still appear in Other Styles, while styles I've recently created don't appear.)

I think this is a candidate for export to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 3. Re: TOC Trouble
              Svirfneblin Level 1

Thanks for your help, Salah! I didn't realize that some TOC options refer to paragraph styles, while others refer to character style, so I didn't think to cross-check them.

Let be more specific with my second problem though: I know how to create bookmarks, just not nested ones. For example, if I want a pdf with two major bookmarks (animals and plants), and then many minor bookmarks that only appear when when a reader clicks on a major one. Clicking on Animals would produce the bookmarks for Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, etc., while clicking on Plants would produce the bookmarks for Trees, Grasses, Shrubs, etc..

Is it possible to do this with indesign?

• 4. Re: TOC Trouble
                Doc Maik Level 4

I lso work with Indesign for quite a while and would like to do such directly. But no, it can only create PDF bookmarks from the TOC bookmarks, so you would have to tweak the TOC or add them later in Acrobat, which is not an option.

One solution could be to place invisible text on certain pages, applied with a p.style that is involved in TOC creation and then you'd somehow gain extra bookmarks as some sort of category.

• 5. Re: TOC Trouble
                  Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Yes, bookmarks can be nested in the finished PDF by setting correctly in the ToC dialog box you assign styles to a hierarchy of 1, 2, 3, and so on. They show as stepped in and down in the middle of the dialog box. Switch on the choice to make bookmarks in the PDF, and when the PDF is made, the bookmarks will be nested.