4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2013 5:42 PM by A.T. Romano

Can I create a Blu-Ray that automatically plays a scene, then goes to a main menu?

Mark-West Level 1

I cannpt find any guidance on this in the program. The idea is that whenever the Blu-Ray comes up, it always shows the beginning 25-second sequence, then always goes to a menu that says "Play Movie" and "Scene Menu" or something to that effect. The scene menu would have buttons for 9 scenes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Can I create a Blu-Ray that automatically plays a scene, then goes to a main menu?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're asking for a video to play before the menu. This is not available with the disc authoring system built into Premiere Elements.

However, it can be accomplished with a number of standalone disc authoring programs, including the very powerful and very affordable DVD Architect Studio, a $39 download from Sony Creative Software.

If you're interested, I offer a number of tutorials and books on working with this wonderful program.

• 2. Re: Can I create a Blu-Ray that automatically plays a scene, then goes to a main menu?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark-West

Although the answer is going to be the same, I would prefer to know what version of Premiere Elements is involved and on what computer operating system it is running in order to get version specific when necessary without requesting the information later than sooner.

Not sure what you mean by

The idea is that whenever the Blu-Ray comes up, it always shows the beginning 25-second sequence, then always goes to a menu that says "Play Movie" and "Scene Menu" or something to that effect

Stop markers do not function in the playback of Premiere Elements (any version) Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. They do in the playback of Premiere Elements (any version) DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc.

You would have to find another video editor for that purpose or export your Premiere Elements Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then taken into another program for menu creation (with a stop marker like feature) and burn to disc there. You would need to determine ahead of time what formats the other program support.

Blu-ray burn to project

If you have 9 scenes and place scene markers for each

a. the viewer can select any one of the scenes from the scene selection page

b. with or without stop markers, it will be the same at playback of the Blu-ray disc, example

if the viewer selects scene 5 from the scene selection page, playback will be scenes 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 with automatic

return to the main menu

if the viewer selects scene 1 from the scene selection page, playback will be scenes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 with automatic

return to the main menu

Please let us know if the above targeted your question. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I did not see SG's post until after I had posted mine.

• 3. Re: Can I create a Blu-Ray that automatically plays a scene, then goes to a main menu?
              Mark-West Level 1

Thanks very much to both you and Steve for your rapid responses.

Let me to state more clearly what I am trying to do, though it seems clear that Premiere Elements 11 cannot do it: When the Blu-Ray disc is inserted in the player, the first thing that would happen is that the first scene (25 seconds) would play. Then the main menu would come up. Clicking the scenes button would allow the viewer to choose any of the designated scenes other than the first one. But having just created a standard menu without this kind of behavior, I think what I have is acceptable.

For the record, this is a Dell XPS 8100 Studio running 64-bit Windows 7.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Can I create a Blu-Ray that automatically plays a scene, then goes to a main menu?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark-West

Now, if this were a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc project, there is a workaround for what you are describing which appears to be the requirement for a first play before the main menu. I have done a blog post on that using PgcEdit.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-first-play-for-dvd-video-on-dvd-disc.html

But, that is not going to work for your Blu-ray first play.

I was going to look into first play for Premiere Elements Blu-ray, using a program called BDEdit, to determine if I could use it for Blu-ray first play as I had used PgcEdit for the DVD first play. But, I got detoured and never got back to that idea.

Please let us know if any further developments.

Thanks.

ATR