5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2013 1:46 PM by dreamweaver70 RSS

Boilerplate.CSS (and Hierarchy)

dreamweaver70 Community Member

I want to make a change to my boilerplate.css, but I seem to remember hearing "DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING IN BOILERPLATE". There is a rule for ul (unoredered lists) that have a 40px left marg/pad I want to get rid of. Can (or should) I change the 40px to 0px in the boilerplate.css, or should I make a rule on my stylesheetmain.css?

Is it OK to alter general, common CSS rules for the boilerplate.css?

Also CSS Hierarchy:

boilerplate.css

stylesheetmain.css

default.css

component.css

I have these 4 stylesheets for my page, boilerplate, being the pre-defined css rules, stylesheetmain, being my custom css, default css, a 'core' styles css stylesheet included with: component css, the stylesheet for my horizontal dropdown menu. These stylesheets are listed (and installed) in the hierarchal order listed above (in my CSS Styles Panel).

I believe these are all 'external css stylesheets'.

Seems from what I recall, that some rules I would create new for my stylesheetmain would work, but when I created a rule in my stylesheetmain to alter another CSS rule from another styleseet, it would not work? I may have not done it correct, or understand the CSS Hierarchy of multiple stylesheets. How do they affect each other? How should rules be handled-applied?

I do: Keep duplicate copies of all my HTML, CSS, and other files, as good practice.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.