6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2013 11:08 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

Invisible grid over image?

TabithaSpottybott

Just come back to a piece of work afte my son was playing with the computer, and he's set up something in Photoshop that I've never seen before. Really strugling to describe it – there seems to be an invisble grid or chequerboard over my image somehow. When I try to paste another image into a new transparent layer (I'm trying to combine two images), it doesn't appear solid but has transparent squares all over it. Also, if I try to select a block of colour with the magic wand tool, the marching ants go into a chequerboard shape. In the hope of un-setting this I've taken the history way back to beore I last worked on the image, but no joy – it's some kind of option that will have to be switched off. I'm sue it's something incredibly simple and obvious, it's just that I can't find it!

• 1. Re: Invisible grid over image?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Really strugling to describe it

Then please post a screenshot.

Edit: with the pertinent Panels visible 

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by pressing command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift while starting Photoshop until the appropriate dialog appears after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)

• 2. Re: Invisible grid over image?
            TabithaSpottybott Level 1

Thanks for this - screenshot attached (I hope).

I've created a new blank document and then selected Edit/Fill, using the foreground colour. Usually this would give a solid result, but instead I have this nice pattern. It appears over everything I open, and affects all selection tools. I thought I'd got a basic working knowledge of Photoshop, but this one's entirely new on me...!

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 14.37.59.png

• 3. Re: Invisible grid over image?
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Have you tried trashing the Preferences yet?

What are your OS and GPU?

• 4. Re: Invisible grid over image?
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

It looks like you might have had Fill set to Pattern. Have a look at the Edit > Fill panel and see what it is set to. 

Pattern.jpg

Or select the Paint bucket Tool, and set it to Pattern in the Optins bar.  Then use the drop down next to Pattern and see what pattern is currently selected.

• 5. Re: Invisible grid over image?
                  TabithaSpottybott Level 1

Thank you for your help, Trevor, but it isn't either of these things. I'd already checked the Fill option, and in Paintbucket it's set to the blank page option. I uploaded this image to show the pattern itself, in case someone recognised it as something specific - but it doesn't only affect the fill function. It also chops lines of rectangles out of anything I try to paste in, and if I use a selection tool such as the magic wand, it selects a column of the rectangles instead of the usual colour range.

I'll try getting rid of preferences etc (I haven't been using Photoshop on my home computer for long enough to have set any, so that's not complicated!) to see if it helps. I know it's an up to date version; it's a Creative Cloud sub, and I've downloaded every update since I subscribed. If I can't sort it out I'll have to proudly tell Adobe that my four-year-old son has managed to break it!!

• 6. Re: Invisible grid over image?
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?