13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 9:19 AM by 38dgg

Slide Show Music

38dgg Level 1

I am having difficulty adding a song to the audio bar of a slide show. (Equipment & tools: HP Pavillon w/Vista; PE8 and PSE8; all of my music is in MP3 format and I have confirmed this by looking in each songs properties.) When I attempt to insert this 1 song (which I have confirmed as being MP3), I get a box stating that my computer does not have the right codex. Can any one offer an explanation and a step-wise process to solve the problem. Thank you.

P.S. This site has been very helpful, in the past.

38dgg

• 1. Re: Slide Show Music
          A.T. Romano Level 7

38dgg

Are these iTunes music files?

Where are you with regard to programs...

a. you are trying into insert one of these .mp3 in the Slideshow Editor of Elements Organizer 8

or

b. you are trying to import one of these .mp3 into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Editor via its Get Media/Files and Folders.

Is it just this one .mp3 file of many .mp3 files that is giving you the problem or is it all .mp3 audio that you work with?

Pending further information and based on previous threads, typically the answer is to convert the .mp3 to ..wav in a free audio editor such as Audacity and then import the music clip into the project.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Slide Show Music
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the answers to ATR's questions, and his suggestion on using Audacity, or another audio-editing program to convert the problem MP3, this Tips & Tricks article might give you a bit of background on MP3's: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4146900#4146900

Some MP3 Audio files work perfectly, where some can be problematic, and for various reasons.

Please let us know the answers to ATR's questions, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Slide Show Music
              A.T. Romano Level 7

38dgg

Just a quick question while we wait for further details from you...

Were these .mp3 ever iTunes music that still had digital rights management tagged on to them? When iTune discontinued dignital rights management for its music, did you convert them to the non digital rights management version?

ATR

• 4. Re: Slide Show Music
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

If they ARE iTunes (and we should get that answer soon - hopefully), another aspect of some MP3's, is that they have other "stuff" inside of them, like "Album Art," which can cause problems.

Processing such a file through an audio-editor, such as Audacity, will strip out that other "stuff," and allow the output file to be Imported, and used correctly in a program, like Premiere. Here, if editing out such things, I output to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, as that is about as good as it gets, when Importing into Premiere.

Hunt - hoping for more information from 38dgg.

• 5. Re: Slide Show Music
                  38dgg Level 1

I can't remember if I got it from Amazon or iTunes. I know with iTunes it's

easy to convert or just download in MP3.

I am importing into Elements Organizer from my computer's music files.

It is just this 1 out of hundreds of my MP3 files that is causing trouble.

Maybe it has something attached that I am unable to see in the properties.

The good news is that I followed your suggestion and downloaded Audacity

(which I never knew about). I converted the song to wav and was able to

insert it into the slide show.

Thank you so much. You have been a great help to me over the past few

weeks!!!!

38dgg

• 6. Re: Slide Show Music
                    38dgg Level 1

Thank you for the quick response. I answered ATR's questions and downloaded

Audacity. I converted the song from MP3 to WAV and it was able to be added

to my slide show. I like the success and great help from all of you experts.

Regards,

38dgg

• 7. Re: Slide Show Music
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Because I have had issues with some MP3's, my normal workflow is to just convert all MP3's, as you did. The only exception is with tiny SFX files, where I seldom bother, and have had no issues. However, those are from purchased collections, so do not have any other "stuff" inside them. In that respect, they are "clean."

Thank you for reporting on what worked for you, and happy editing.

Hunt

PS - if this issue has been handled, please take a moment to mark the various answers as Correct (that marks the thread as Answered, and will be helpful to others), and Helpful. Both of those markings will also help the Adobe Forum Team, garner support from Adobe upper-management, when times come to cut things, or allocate budgets.

• 8. Re: Slide Show Music
                        38dgg Level 1

I don't know when iTunes discontinued their rights process but this song

was downloaded within the last 6 months. This is the first time I have had

a PS-MP3-related loading issue for my slide shows. See my earlier email for

answers to your prior questions.

Finally, as I prepared this inquiry, I noticed on the previous notes on the

Adobe site that there was a place to respond about whether or not your help

was meaningful. I went through all our exchanges and responded "yes". I

noticed that there is some type of rating system. Is it related to this? If

so, I'll go back for these responses and check "yes".

Thanks, again.

38dgg

• 9. Re: Slide Show Music
                          38dgg Level 1

Maybe there was Album art but I don't know how to see this. Anyway it's a

moot point since I was successful with Audacity. Thanks, again, for your

interest and help. It is very much appreciated!

38dgg

• 10. Re: Slide Show Music
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

38dgg

Thank you for the follow up news that you are moving forward with your slideshow project. Glad the .mp3 to .wav conversion worked for you.

That is all the reward that I need, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you need any other assistance with your Premiere Elements workflows.

Continued success.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Slide Show Music
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

38dgg,

This article goes into more detail about the various "rating systems:" http://forums.adobe.com/message/5697742#5697742

Good luck, and thanks for taking the time to mark the replies.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Slide Show Music
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

38dgg,

I agree that the problem is now moot. We may never know what the issue was, with the problematic MP3.

As for Album Art, that is for display in iTunes, and maybe other similar types of music player programs. As for the other "stuff," again, probably only in iTunes, or similar - such as lyrics, or other types of metadata.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Slide Show Music
                                  38dgg Level 1

Thank you.