5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2013 10:28 PM by Rick Gerard

PLEASE READ!! Masks are not rendering! PROJECT DUE TOMORROW!!

mattguarnacc

My project is due tomorrow! When I go to export a composition with a mask in it, the mask does not get applied.

The first two images are of the after effects comp. Everything works fine and my masks are applied.

But the last image shows the exported .mov that i made. As you can see the floating boy image is just a black background and the shadow below which is supposed to be the shape of his foot is a square without any masks.

HELP!!! MY PROJECT IS DUE!!! SOLUTIONS???

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 7.43.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-09-29 at 7.43.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-09-29 at 7.44.17 PM.png

• 1. Re: PLEASE READ!! Masks are not rendering! PROJECT DUE TOMORROW!!
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you looking at the active camera? How are you rendering? What are you rendering? What are your rendering settings? We don't even know your OS or AE version. Want help, give details.

I'd say that you are not correctly setting up the render.

• 2. Re: PLEASE READ!! Masks are not rendering! PROJECT DUE TOMORROW!!
            mattguarnacc Level 1

Yes, I'm looking at the active camera.

I have After Effects CC for Mac. I'm prerendering a H.264 .mov file.

Any other details you need?

• 3. Re: PLEASE READ!! Masks are not rendering! PROJECT DUE TOMORROW!!

There's your problem. You are pre-rendering to a delivery codec that does not support alpha channels (transparency). Read about rendering. I'd suggest Animation Codec Quick-time. Set the output module to millions of colors + and RGB plus alpha. With such a simple scene I'm wondering why you are pre-rendering.

You seriously need to read up on rendering. It's the most basic skill anyone using AE should have and it's not hard.

BTW, this question is answered in the FAQ on the home page of this forum and about a zillion other places on this and every forum about video apps. It's a common question.

• 4. Re: PLEASE READ!! Masks are not rendering! PROJECT DUE TOMORROW!!
                mattguarnacc Level 1

It didn't work.

I don't have much time so could you direct me to the question on the FAQ page you're talking about????

Or maybe could you give me your suggested steps for rendering??

Thank you so much for your help.

I am 15 years old and very new to after effects so just work with me.

Here's another example:

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 8.59.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-09-29 at 9.00.40 PM.png

• 5. Re: PLEASE READ!! Masks are not rendering! PROJECT DUE TOMORROW!!

Don't pre-render unless you really  need to.

I've been at AE for more than 20 years now, I put in a 17 hour day yesterday 12 today because I'm on a production deadline and I still find time to answer your questions. The least you could do is try my suggestion and search for rendering transparency with After Effects.

Or you could try this:

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 10.14.50 PM.png

Press enter and you'll find this:

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 10.15.52 PM.png

Read about of these threads and you'll be advised, as I did in my second post to open up the render cue, spin down the output module settings and choose this:

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 10.19.45 PM.png

If you want to further adjust the settings open up the output module and see how it's setup.

You'll see something like this:

Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 10.25.05 PM.png

Delivery codecs like h.264 do not have transparency information. Some production codecs do. This question is asked a million times a year and the answer is always the same. I already gave you the answer.

I'll have to ask this one more time. Why are you pre-rendering your masked layers. For a project like this I'd never do that. It's a complete waste of time unless you specifically need to do some more work on the project later and you are not completing the composite in AE. Just render your main comp by dragging it into the Adobe Media Encoder, pick a suitable delivery preset and be done with it.