14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2013 11:22 AM by Sheree Bandukwala

Hard Drive Configuration

Sheree Bandukwala Level 1

I am ready to edit my independent feature length film utilizing Adobe Creative Cloud applications. I would like to have the option to render across the formats if necessary depending on distribution protocol.

My main concern is hard drive configuration. As of now Drive C: which stores the operating system and Adobe programs is 5900 RPM.  Is that going to be a real problem during editing?

If I purchase a third hard drive what would be the best hard drive configuration given the two existing hard drives I already own?

Any suggestions on any other hardware would be greatly appreciated, as I am a filmmaker not a computer technical person so hoping I can get my system up and running as stable as possible.

• Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 Ver. 6.1.7601
      • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz Driver Ver. 6.1.7600.16385 LGA 1155
      • CPU Cooling Fan: Cooler Master 212EVO
      • RAM: G.Skill 16MB
      • Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V-LE BIOS Ver. 08.00.10
      • Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
      • Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 Ti
      • Internal Hard Drive 1: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green, ST2000DL003-9VT166, 64MB Cache, 5900 RPM,     ATA/ATAPI-8, Stores-Operating System and Programs
      • Internal Hard Drive 2: 2TB Seagate Barracuda, ST2000DM001-1CHI64, 64MB Cache, 7200 RPM, ATA/ATAPI-8, New just installed.
      • External Hard Drive 3: 3TB Seagate Barracuda SRD00F2-1D7AP2-500

Thank you, guys so much!

• 1. Re: Hard Drive Configuration
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never heard of 5900rpm... do you mean 5400rpm?

OS and programs on a "green" drive means everything will load a bit slow, but you MIGHT be OK editing with projects and video files on a 7200rpm drive

Your external drive will be useful ONLY if it is USB3 or eSata... USB2 is too slow for anything besides backups

External eSata or USB3 are both fast enough for video editing... http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117813 - http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/84-disk-setup

ONE possibility is this $47 USB3 dock with fan http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B0055PL2YI

• 2. Re: Hard Drive Configuration
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

The z68 motherboards do not have any built-in USB3 ports so unless you add in a third party card that is not an option.

• 3. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

Thanks, John.

Yes, it is 5400 RPM, a late night brain fart I'm afraid.  The external drive I use only for back-ups.  I am considering adding another 7200 RPM internal drive as a minimum 3 internal hard drives has been suggested on forums.

Do you think I should replace my 5400 RPM before I start editing? Or would it help if I installed another 7200 RPM internal drive and moved Adobe applications to that hard drive and left the operating system on the 5400 RPM? Or would that not help anything?  Sorry, I am so ignorant as to these issues.

Is there anyway to disable the "Green" power saver on the 5400 RPM hard drive?

• 4. Re: Hard Drive Configuration
                Jim_Simon Level 9

I am ready to edit my independent feature length film

Thank you for saying that.  Maybe I'm old school, but I still consider a 'feature film' to be something I can plunk down my $10 and see at the local cineplex.  If I can't do that, you're not making a 'feature film', just a feature length film.  Now, to the question at hand...

I usually recommend a minumum of five internal hard drives in the following arrangement.

C: System

D: Projects

E: Cache/Scratch

F: Media

G: Exports

This spreads the load out pretty well, so that you're rarely reading from and writing to the same hard drive at the same time, which is what can slow things down.  Don't forget to include some type of backup solution as well.

• 5. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

DO NOT MOVE ADOBE PROGRAMS TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR BOOT DRIVE !!!

All caps deliberately... every time I read that someone has installed to anything other than the C-boot drive they have had problems

I do not use a green drive, so have no idea if you may disable the power saving mode... while a 7200rpm boot drive is "better" you MAY be able to edit without major problems as long as your project and video files are on a 7200rpm drive

I edit AVCHD with 3 drives, but this is SIMPLE video for home movies, not a feature film

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input source & output export files

• 6. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

So I disabled the "Green" hard drive shut down, which according to another forum will definitely help with the slow down. And I rechecked with NewEgg and this particular drive is 5900RPM...hmm???

I am going to order another internal 7200 RPM hard drive and use your set-up. Fingers crossed all will go well and I can start working on my project next week. Once again thanks so much.

• 8. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

Thanks, Jim

I've read a number of your forum links and value your advice very much. I hope to work toward a five drive configuration, but unfortunately as of now my budget is very limited.

What would be the minimum storage capacity of the drives required?  Would it help if I bought two - 1TB 7200RPM drives instead of just one - 2TB drive? I can get two - 1TB from Amazon for $137 so I think I can squeeze that into my budget.

Then I would be working with four drives.

Thanks so much for your time and input.

• 9. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

Working with 4 drives allows...

1-OS and programs

2-projects and temporary (Jim's D + E combined)

3-video source

4-video output

• 10. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

Thanks, John!!

• 11. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

John,

My son has just given me two new hard drives he is not using. So now this is my hard drive arsenal.

• Internal Hard Drive 1: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green, ST2000DL003-9VT166, 64MB Cache, 5900 RPM,     ATA/ATAPI-8, Stores-Operating System and Programs
                            • Internal Hard Drive 2: 2TB Seagate Barracuda, ST2000DM001-1CHI64, 64MB Cache, 7200 RPM, ATA/ATAPI-8, New just installed and empty.
                            • Internal Hard Drive 3: 1TB Seagate Barracuda, ST1000DM003 SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache, New not installed.
                            • Internal Hard Drive 4: 1TB Seagate Barracuda, ST1000DM003 SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache, New not installed.

How would you configure these in a four drive setup? Should I change out the 5900 RPM operating system and programs with one of the 7200 RPM?

Thanks!!

• 12. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

Jim,

My son has just given me two new hard drives he is not using. So now this is my hard drive arsenal.

• Internal Hard Drive 2: 2TB Seagate Barracuda, ST2000DM001-1CHI64, 64MB Cache, 7200 RPM, ATA/ATAPI-8, New just installed and empty.
                              • Internal Hard Drive 3: 1TB Seagate Barracuda, ST1000DM003 SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache, New not installed.
                              • Internal Hard Drive 4: 1TB Seagate Barracuda, ST1000DM003 SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache, New not installed.

How would you configure these in a four drive setup? Should I change out the 5900 RPM operating system and programs with one of the 7200 RPM?

Thanks!!

• 13. Re: Hard Drive Configuration
                                Jim_Simon Level 9

Would it help if I bought two - 1TB 7200RPM drives instead of just one - 2TB drive?

It would.  So now combined with the drives given to you, you can get the basic 5.

• 14. Re: Hard Drive Configuration

Thanks, Jim!!!