6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2008 3:50 AM by Newsgroup_User

How would you draw a soccer goal?

janwayne69
      Hi guys,
      this might be really basic for the pro's out there, but I'm just a beginner with Fireworks.

Basically, I'm trying to draw a soccer goal (at least the frame of it) making it look like metal. There are styles that provide this sort of finish in Fireworks, however, the problem is that I cannot come up with a shape for the purpose. If I just draw three lines (post, crossbar, post), and apply metal finish to them, they look cut off and not very nice. But a rectangular box obviously has the bottom line too much.

How do you do that??

Thanks for any tips,

Jan
        • 1. Re: How would you draw a soccer goal?
          pixlor Level 4
          Hmm.

I did a Google search for images of soccer goals. I guess it depends on how stylized you want your image to be, or how realistic. I think a fairly realistic image would be on the difficult side.

The tricky thing is that you're trying to represent something that is made of pipes (usually round), so you need to indicate this volume with shading. The shading on the crossbar won't be the same as the shading on the uprights. I also noted the welded joints where the crossbar attaches to the uprights. Somehow, you need to indicate these seams. Another thing that might help you is to use an angle which is not straight on. Perspective enhances realism. Many of the images I saw showed goals that have more pieces than just the uprights and crossbar, either at the top or the bottom to hold the net. Then, of course, there's the net. These details will help make your image look more realistic, and more like a goal. The metallic finish would really be the last thing to add realism. You need to get the shapes right, first.

Before trying to draw a goal, study real ones. Here are a couple of different goals:
          goal post from rectangular pipe
          goal post from round pipe

And...here's the Google search for soccer goal images.

Good luck!
          • 2. Re: How would you draw a soccer goal?
            Level 7
            http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1YsaYVNCBwvA5SVrrjbOUpJjGPcC6w0 ?

If so:

1 - draw large rectangle

2 - copy & paste then resize so a smaller rectangle appears on top

3 - select both rectangles then Modify > Combine paths > Punch to obtain
            three sides as required

4 - select the path object and fill then live effects (bevel?)
            • 3. Re: How would you draw a soccer goal?
              pixlor Level 4
              That's really nice, Deebs!
              • 4. Re: How would you draw a soccer goal?
                Level 7
                :) it is fun in FW :)

Easy-peasy and great fun

pixlor wrote:
                > That's really nice, Deebs!
                >
                • 5. Re: How would you draw a soccer goal?
                  ageofem Level 1
                  hi jan , i would follow what the other guys have said, and look for images in google, soccer goals for referrence. To create a realistic soccer goal is not that difficult, all you need is understand on the fundamental fireworks techqniues.

Here are some techniques that where used in the image below .

Feather - The feather creates that dark color in the top bar.

Inner shadow - It gives the bars a 3d effect, it gives your images more depth, take a look at the image and you will the difference between the shape with and without the inner shadow techqniue.

Linear gradients - Try to adjust the fill handles and experiment with different positions.

For the nets - just draw simple images using the pen tool , and use a soft rounded stroke

To add some other lighting effects ,just use the pen tool and draw some shapes , feather them to an amount which u think will look good in the image, try to change the opacity level of the layered object, from 100 to something like 30 to 50 , it will actually produce a different result ,and you will surely like it =)

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8051/quicktutorialvw5.png
                  • 6. Re: How would you draw a soccer goal?
                    Level 7
                    janwayne69 wrote:

> Basically, I'm trying to draw a soccer goal (at least the frame of it) making
                    > it look like metal.

Why not just use a photo? :-)

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    --------------------------------------------------------------