4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 3:40 PM by Arrghmatey

editing photo layers

Arrghmatey Level 1

I used to have a photo editing procedure in CS5 - VERY easy - make layer on top and it was editable. Somehow I'm missing a step on CS6. Example: applying smart filter. There isn't adjustment layer option for this so I'm left with doing it on the background layer which isn't what I want to do. How do you open up the layer?

• 1. Re: editing photo layers
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You must first convert you image layer into a smart object layer. Once you do that any filter you user on it will be a smart filter. You just use menu Filter>Filter Name.

sf.jpg

• 2. Re: editing photo layers
            Arrghmatey Level 1

Thanks - my issue for awhile was trying to do it on the layer copy. How did you retain a background layer? It converted mine to a regular layer and the adjustments are below, not above...

• 3. Re: editing photo layers
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I used an action I created a long time ago.  I often start an action by adding a new empty layer and move it to the top of the stack. Then stamped visible layers into it to have a composite to work on. I named the layer sharpening adjustment layer and converted to a smart object layer then added a reveal all layer in cast I wanted to adjust the effect. I wanted to have a filter mask to only work on edges so i created an edge selection before adding the smart filter. etc

sal.jpg

• 4. Re: editing photo layers
                Arrghmatey Level 1

"stamped visible layers into it" Hmmm. Maybe that's your euphemism for inserted?

I need to get a routine down - thing is I can leave my camera / editing alone for a long time - and it's *not* so much like riding a bike.

*But* I can dink with layers again, in the way I remembered, so thanks.

Is it important to have a locked background layer?