3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 2:49 PM by SolasProductions

Pixelated images and overprint preview

SolasProductions Level 1

I have a few images already inserted in a document which are all in CMYK at 300 dpi. When I zoomed in on them, they appeared just like they did in photoshop, nice and clear.

Last night, I started having trouble with the images appearing pixelated when I add them in. I couldn't find any differences in my workflow in bringing them in, which is the strange part. They are all 300dpi. When I placed some images last night, they appeared pixelated when I zoomed in. Also if I chose Place and just clicked one time, they would appear huge, more than the size they were intended to be, which makes me worry the document may not be setup right, but I cannot find anywhere to adjust the dpi of the document. I have it set for Print, 6x9 size but I dont see where you would modify the dpi for the print setting.

I made a flattened psd image which shows up in InDesign's info window as 300 dpi/cmyk but when I add it, it tried to make the image huge. So I used a different method and scaled the image into the area I wanted it and it still looked very pixelated when I zoomed in.

I looked around and turned on the setting overprint preview and the image cleared up. I am about to be placing a lot of images in this document to finish the book so I am trying to get a better idea of what is going on first and make changes to my document if needed. My question is - If the image doesn't display well when overprint preview is off, do I need to worry if it looks good when its turned on?

Pic 1, overprint preview on. Pic 2, overprint preview off.

Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 12.25.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-09-30 at 12.26.00 PM.png