5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2013 12:12 PM by JBD328 RSS

Can't reinstall InDesign CS3

JBD328 Community Member

I was a longtime PageMaker user, and upgraded from PageMaker 6.5 to InDesign CS3 a few years ago. I'm not a designer, so use it mostly for family projects.  Last month my computer died and I took it to a computer shop, where they had to wipe it clean (saving files), which required me to reinstall all my software.  No problem with anything except the InDesign. Because it was an upgrade, it wants the serial number from my PageMaker, which I discarded not long after I originally upgraded to InDesign.  I want to be able to use it (I did pay for it, after all -- even if it isn't the most current version anymore).   I "chatted" online with Adobe technical support, but they said they can't help me because it's not a current version. Is there anything I can do to be able to use this program that I paid for? Any help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can't reinstall InDesign CS3
          BobLevine UGM

Did you register PM? If so, the serial number should be in your account,

but really, you never should have discarded that.

All that said, call back and escalate the case. If nobody will help you

get a case number and come back here and we'll see if we can't get

someone to look into it for you.

• 2. Re: Can't reinstall InDesign CS3
            JBD328 Community Member

I'm sure I registered my PageMaker, but I was using a different email at that time, and I'm unable to log in to Adobe using that email address (and the various passwords I was using way back then).  My current profile shows my serial number for my InDesign -- and my registration date in 2008.  Maybe I shouldn't have discarded the PageMaker serial number, but still.... they have a record that I legitimately installed it in 2008.

I got an email response after my online "chat" and it didn't even refer back to me and my problem. It didn't even get my name correct! Doesn't make me feel very confident in the level of support...  Here's that email, copied and pasted:

Hi Seved,

Thank you for contacting Adobe.

You had contacted us regarding the installation issue with Photoshop Elements 12. Please download the trial version of Photoshop E lements 12 and click on the license this software option and enter teh serial number. Unfortunately chat got disconnected in betwe en the conversation.

For further assistance please feel free to contact us at any point of time.

Live chat is available for 24hrs and 7days a week.

• 3. Re: Can't reinstall InDesign CS3
              JBD328 Community Member

And the technician I was "chatting" with said I would have to get help in the forum... that because it's an older version my problem won't get supported anywhere else.

• 4. Re: Can't reinstall InDesign CS3
                BobLevine UGM

There's nothing any of us can do here with a serial number problem.

• 5. Re: Can't reinstall InDesign CS3
                  JBD328 Community Member

Understood. I just tried calling and was informed there was a 45-60 minute wait, so I'll try it at a different time. Thanks.