19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 12:55 PM by tJohnson

Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!

TCCadmin

We are experiencing that Photoshop CC cannot produce 2 equal batch results ! its skips images at random and even worse skips parts of the batch commands! This makes PSD CC absolute useless in a professional environment, and that Adobe have not fixed this huge bug in the last 5 updates they have done in less than a month is an outrage.

We have tested with 6 different workstations and various scripts and the results are totally erratic.

Adobe please step up and fix the core funtionalities before adding loads of new funky features.

Kind regards,

From a 20 year Photoshop veteran that has gone back to his trusted Phopshop CS6

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried increasing the History states say to 50 to 100 or more to see if that makes a difference?

Also are all the cc versions updated to 14.1.2?

Just suggesting what seems to have worked for other users.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
            TCCadmin Level 1

All CC versions are up-to-date, and I will attempt to increase the history states for testing purposes, though this is not a viable solution. We do batch imaging on 1-3 GB PSD files in large groups and the performance would not allow us to keep 20-40 images open at once, like we do right now. I will try though asap!

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
              TCCadmin Level 1

We have now tested with various history settings and still the batch function keeps returning different results! I am still in shock

- Are we the only pro users that totally depend on the batch functions ? Where is the user out cry - this is like if Microsoft Excel added 2+2=5 .....

Adobe please help!

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                Micky Paps

I've been having the same issues as well. Really annoying and have been putting it off for some quite time.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!

What operating systems are you using?

One other thing i can think to try is on macs use the application frame with tabbed documents and on windows use tabbed documents

and see if that makes a difference.

Under the photoshop preferences>interface on both windows and mac set to Open Documents as Tabs and on a mac Window>Application Frame.

Are the images coming from a server or being saved to a server or other source besides the hard drive that the photoshop application/program is installed on?

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Can any of you having a problem please put a LITTLE more detail into your description of how to reproduce this?

I just batch processed a folder of 50 files using a quickly put together action, and had no problems.  All 50 files were processed.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                      TCCadmin Level 1
                      • Try open 10 images on screen an run a simple resample to 300DPI action. It will resample various amounts !
                      • Also if you batch a simple flatten, save as and the file is left with a layer mask activated - it will stall the action !
                      • Try open 10 images on screen, record go to layer "name". Play action go to layer "name" - it will not execute on all images!

I am in shock - and still concidering to switch our whole productions setup to GIMP.....

Adobe please do some serious consistancy testing on the actions/batch funtionality

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                        TCCadmin Level 1

We have tested further and we provocate errors in the batch every time if we execute the action on images that are open on screen, where as actions executed from folder to folder seems to work...

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                          Curt Y Level 7

Look at the file name.  If they have any illegal OS characters like slash, colon, etc. it may stop the processing.

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Thank you for providing more detail.  I think we're getting somewhere.

I happened to try using the new Image Size function in an action, and I think what's being stored in the action when setting up the Image - Image Size operation is wrong

This really has nothing to do with batch operations, except that I happened to try it on a batch of images some of which were portrait oriented and some landscape, which showed the issue.

What I attempted to set up was an Image Size operation that would upsample a set of existing images to an upsampled percentage and leave the ppi value at 300.  This is what I entered.

UpsampleDialog.png

What got recorded was not a percentage at all, but an Image Size for a particular width in inches!  Note this action expansion:

RecordedAction.png

-Noel

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

More info:

If you change just the Width/Height to a percentage, but leave the Resolution value alone, the action records just the percentage to resample.

PercentageOnly.png

SavedPercentage.png

My advice:  Record your resampling action as a percentage without changing the ppi if all your images are the same size, or process all your portrait-oriented images separately from your landscape-oriented images so that they can all be made the same width and ppi.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                                TCCadmin Level 1

It has nothing to do with file names or the recording of the action, we can now see that PSD.CC fails when you are running any batch from a series of images that are open in PSD.CC. If I run the same batch from a folder - then it  works fine!

• 13. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I can't see that at all.  It's processing every single image I have open, every time I run it.

You may have something specific on your system(s) that's triggering a failure if you're seeing something others aren't.

Provide the detailed info / screen grabs requested, please.

-Noel

• 14. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                                    Micky Paps Level 1

1. I would like to apply a basic image adjustments 10 mixed orientated images opened in PS CC.

1.jpg

2. I create a new Action set and record my first image actions.

My actions in details;

2a. Convert background to layer

2b. Create Group folder.

2c. New adjustment layer "Brightness/Contrast". Brightness 10 / Contrast 25.

Note: A new action is automatically created called "Set current adjustment layer"

2d. New adjustment layer "Levels". Shadows 10 / Midtones 1.1 / Highlights 245

Note: A new action is automatically created called "Set current adjustment layer"

2e. New adjustment layer "Hue/Saturation". Saturation 20

2f. "Save As" to a folder located on my desktop. Maximize Compatibility checked.

2g. Close

2h. Stop Actions

2.jpg

3. Selected batch command. Selected my Image Adjustments Test from the Set drop down. Selected my Actions from the Action drop down. Source: Opened Files from the drop down with None selected from the Destination drop down.

3.jpg

4. My results. FAILURE!

I have 9 images left opened. After the second image i receive my first error.

4a "The object "Background" is not currently available." I clicked Continue. (If it's a batch why would i want to click this button on each image. 10 images is a small batch, I'm normally batching 50 images plus.)

4b 1 image later i receive the same area. I clicked Continue.

4c 1 image later i receive again the same area. I clicked Continue.

4d 1 image later i receive again the same area. I clicked Continue.

4e. This happens till i have no more images left on my screen.

4f. All 10 images are saved in the folder on my desktop. However each image is missing the "Hue/Saturation" adjustment.

error 1.jpg

hue.jpg

5. Each time i create new actions i will find different errors. I've had times that it would skip images and not save them at all. Or i would have images with no adjustments. To me it seems like the actions pick random images and random actions. In this case it just skipped the "Hue/Saturation" adjustment.

Happy to hear your thoughts.

• 15. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!

Does turning off the Generator Plugin under Photoshop>Preferences>Plug-Ins make any difference?

Untitled-1.png

• 16. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Another thing to try:  See if it works in Tabbed View.

There was a problem early on with Photoshop CS6 where window manipulation from within actions was only working with Tabbed view.  I wonder if it has recurred.

I only used Tabbed View when I tested.

-Noel

• 17. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                                          TCCadmin Level 1

I have turned of generator and tryed tapped view with no improvement

• 18. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                                            Shlomit Heymann Level 1

Hello,

I'm happy to find this post as I'm experiencing the same!!!

I got an action that says save as jpg to "folder name".

I opened 100 documents, and found out that only 37 were saved. The rest? who knows.

I than opened 20 documents, the first 2 were not saved.

It looks to me like a serious bug.

Shlomit

• 19. Re: Photoshop CC Batch cannot be trusted!
                                              tJohnson

I am also having this same issue. It only occurs when running batches on opened files, but it happens every time.