6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 4:47 AM by jasonvp

Is supported processor list for GPU acceleration up to date?

gurujeet

I took list from Adobe website to Micro Center to update my video card for GPU acceleration with Premier Pro CC. Most of the cards they stock have a newer generation of processors from NVIDIA and AMD. How do I know which ones will work? Will any of the CUDA cards work, or only certain ones?

• 1. Re: Is supported processor list for GPU acceleration up to date?
          petergaraway Adobe Employee

The cards listed here are up to date for 7.0.1. There will be more cards added to the list for 7.1. In case you haven't read this blog there is useful information on GPU support for CC. Here's the most relevant part.

Also, some customers may be aware that in the past there was a not-so-secret way of enabling non-supported GPUs by the ‘hacking’ or removal of a text file. This is no longer necessary in Premiere Pro CC. As long as you have a reasonably modern card with at least 1GB of VRAM, you will still be able to enable that card in the Project Settings dialog. A warning message will appear letting you know that your card has not been certified by Adobe, but once that dialog is clicked through you can use your GPU. The team does try to certify as many GPUs as possible, but we can’t test everything, so this is a way to let you decide if you’re happy using an untested configuration.

Hope this is helpful,

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

• 2. Re: Is supported processor list for GPU acceleration up to date?
            gurujeet Level 1

Thanks. Still leaves me with the dilemna of what card to buy and whether it will work as most of the ones in the store have newer not-yet-certified processors. It would be good if Adobe could find a way to certify faster. I don't want to buy a previous generation card even if I can find it, and I don't want to buy an uncertified card and have to return it if it doesn't work. Perhaps Adobe could provide the card makers with a standard test suite and let them publish whether it passes or not.

• 3. Re: Is supported processor list for GPU acceleration up to date?
              Jim_Simon Level 9

Chances are outstanding that anything you buy with 1GB of VRAM will work just fine.  I'd not worry about it.

• 5. Re: Is supported processor list for GPU acceleration up to date?
                cc_merchant Level 4

Look at Balanced Systems on this page Tweakers Page and scroll down till you see the table with video cards.

• 6. Re: Is supported processor list for GPU acceleration up to date?
                  jasonvp Level 3

petergaraway wrote:

Also, some customers may be aware that in the past there was a not-so-secret way of enabling non-supported GPUs by the ‘hacking’ or removal of a text file. This is no longer necessary in Premiere Pro CC.

An important note:  We discovered over in the main Premiere Pro section that while you don't need to edit or remove the text file for Pr, AME still references it as of the latest version of CC.  If you don't have your GPU in the text file (or better yet, just delete the text file completely), than AME will not use the GPU for exports.

For the OP: your concerns aren't really founded in anything, basically.  Get as new an nVidia card as you can afford, delete the CUDA text file (and the OpenCL one if you want), and go to town with Pr.  Make sure that after any software updates for Pr, you verify that the text file is still edited (or gone).