9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 1:15 AM by Willi Adelberger

CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB

deathspared1

Hi there,

I have been researching on this for quite a while and am stumped.

I have a logo that I made in Illustrator that has the CMYK values 0,2,0,68. When I place it into Indesign, it shows up as 57,49,46,13 (113,113,116 RGB values which is what I would expect when running it in Photoshop in RGB mode). When I export the Indesign file to a PDF and check the colors, it is still 57,49,46,13. Please help as this is driving me crazy! Thanks,

• 1. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What format did you save the logo from Illustrator? What version of InDesign are you using? What computer platform? How are you measuring the color values (the Eyedropper tool)?

• 2. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB
            deathspared1 Level 1

Logo was saved from Illustrator as PDF. Indesign CS6 Mac.

Yes, Eyedropper. I had sent to printer and the colors came back clearly wrong which was what alerted me to the issue.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You would get that kind of color conversion if the Illustrator document color mode was RGB (File>Document Color Mode...), which I assume you've double checked.

You would also get a conversion if the AI or PDF file was saved with an embedded profile that conflicts with your ID document's assigned profile (Edit>Assign Profiles...). The easiest solution would be to save the AI PDF without a profile—PDF/X-1a preset would work:

Screen Shot 2013-09-30 at 6.22.21 PM.png

You can't sample color with the eyedropper from a placed AI or PDF and get the output values.  Use Separation Preview, it gives you the output values assuming the export or print destination color is document CMYK (again the assigned document profile).

• 4. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB

That's the problem. The Eyedropper tool cannot measure color WITHIN a PDF file. It's looking at the RGB preview, and measuring values from the preview.

InDesign has no ability to change the colors in a PDF file.

If you're not sure, make a PDF from InDesign with the AI PDF included. View the color values in Adobe Acrobat by choosing Tools > Print Production > Output Preview, and you'll see that the color values are unchanged.

• 5. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB

InDesign has no ability to change the colors in a PDF file.

ID can convert PDF colors on export or print.

Here my document's Color Management Policy is set to preserve embedded and its assigned profile is SWOP. I've placed two AI PDFs with a 50% black fill. One with Coated Fogra profile embedded, which conflicts with the document SWOP,  and the other saved as PDF/X-1a. Sep Preview shows the output difference:

ScreenSnapz004.png

ScreenSnapz003.png

• 6. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB
                    deathspared1 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion.

Acrobat shows the AI PDF logo as being Pantone Cool Grey 11C which is the spot color I use for this grey, but has a CMYK value of 0,2,0,68.

• 7. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB

Rob,

Of course, you're correct about the ability to change color on export as a PDF file or when printing.

What I was mainly pointing out was that, looking at it in InDesign, the Eyedropper isn't accurate, and no conversion has taken place on import.

• 8. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB

Acrobat shows the AI PDF logo as being Pantone Cool Grey 11C which is the spot color I use for this grey

The Pantone Solid ink libraries in CS6 no longer support CMYK definitons. Pantone Spot color are defined as Lab and the conversion to process on output or export would depend on the CMYK profile.

If you want to print a specific CMYK process color set the color as process in AI and resave.

• 9. Re: CMYK PDF Imported Into Indesign as RGB
                          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Rob Day wrote:

Acrobat shows the AI PDF logo as being Pantone Cool Grey 11C which is the spot color I use for this grey

The Pantone Solid ink libraries in CS6 no longer support CMYK definitons. Pantone Spot color are defined as Lab and the conversion to process on output or export would depend on the CMYK profile.

If you want to print a specific CMYK process color set the color as process in AI and resave.

Or set up a specific spot color in InDesign with those CMYK-Values, inside the Ink Manager target the existing spot color to the new one and click the option to output it as process color. No need to open any file in Illustrator or somewhere else to redefine spot colors when you work with InDesign and are not using PostScript (EPS and Distiller), which would make the ink manager unuseable.