5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 3:52 PM by the_wine_snob

PE 11 skin tone adjustments

rtprtp Level 1

Any suggestions for making a woman look better than she actually looks in PE11?

I shot a 60 year old that wants to look as good as possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, ST

• 1. Re: PE 11 skin tone adjustments
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rprtp

Just checking, by PE11 are you referring to Photoshop Elements 11 or Premiere Elements 11?

Whatever the program, is this still or video?

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 11 skin tone adjustments
            rtprtp Level 1

Sorry ATR, should have stated Premier Elements 11.

It's video of course. Wish it was photoshop, then it would be much easier :-(

• 3. Re: PE 11 skin tone adjustments
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Much of your work, will depend on how much movement there will be in your subject.

If it's more of a "talking head" shot, then one of the first things that can be done, is softening her skin, and that can be accomplished by using a Blur and Track Matte Keying. Again, the subjects movement will determine how much work this will be.

Let's say that it IS a talking head shot. This is what I would do:

1. With the Video Clip on Video Track 1, Duplicate that Clip, and place it, aligned, on Video Track 2.
              2. Add fairly light Gaussian Blur to the Duplicate Clip (on Video Track 2).
              3. Create a Track Matte (a Mask) for the subject's face. This can be an Ellipse in Titler, though it might be easier to do this in Photoshop/Photoshop Elements.
              4. Place that Matte onto Video Track 3.
              5. Apply the Effect>Track Matte Keying to the Duplicate Clip, and link that to the Matte on Video Track 3.
              6. That will limit the Blur (applied to the Duplicate Clip) to just the subject's face, leaving everything else "un-Blurred."
              7. Now, one will probably want to add a bit of Blur to that Matte, to soften it's edges.
              8. If the Matte was created in Photoshop/Photoshop Elements, this next step is probably easier, as one will want the eyes to NOT be Blurred, and also the hair. In Ps/PsE, one can "paint" out the Matte with a soft-edged Brush, in the areas of the eyes, and the hair.
              9. If the Matte was created in Titler, one is limited to working with Shapes, back in that Matte, but the eyes and hair can be "punched out" of the Title, and if a light Blur has been added to that Matte, it will be applied to these new elements too.
              10. As the subject's head does move, one would have to "track" that movement my altering (Keyframing) the Position, and possibly Scale of that Matte. That would be done via the Fixed Effects>Motion>Position and Motion>Scale. If the subject has turned her head, then in the Effect>Motion>Scale, you would need to adjust just the Width of the Matte, so they would need to uncheck the Constrain Proportions, so that the Height is not affected, and only the Width is adjusted.

If there IS a lot of head movement, and the subject's facial direction, or size changes, then the Clip will need to be Cut, and a new Matte used. If that movement is great, then I strongly suggest using another program for this purpose, Adobe After Effects. As of AE CS 5, the RotoBrush is the Tool to separate out the subject's face, for applying Blur, etc., in true Rotoscoping. One can also do Rotoscoping in Ps, and probably PsE, but that is on a frame-by-frame basis.

For a detailed discussion on Rotoscoping, see this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscoping

For discussion and a tutorial on the AE RotoBrush, see this article: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/harrington_richard/after-effects-cs5-roto/video-tu torial

Also see: http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:_Rotoscoping

And for a basic overview of Track Matte Keying in Premiere, this article might give you the basics: http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5163

Once, there was a great tutorial on using Premiere (it was done for Premiere 1.5, IIRC, but translated to PrE pretty well) for Adjusting Skin Tones on Curt Wrigley's Web site, but Curt took that entire site down some years ago. Had I known he was about to do that, I would have offered to host it. His feeling was that the tutorials were for earlier versions of Premiere (became Premiere Pro), so were no longer useful. I felt that he was wrong, but did not discover what he had done, until it was too late.

Also, if this material had not already been shot, I would have suggested very soft lighting, and a light Soft Focus filter on the camera - sort of the old "Penthouse look."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 11 skin tone adjustments
                rtprtp Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much. Sounds complicated, but I am going to give it a try.

Btw...in pe11, what share setting would I use to output to a mp4 file to play on an iPad?

• 5. Re: PE 11 skin tone adjustments
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

It can be complicated, but so very much depends on the shots, and the subject's movement.

After you do it a few times, it does become easier, but again, depending on the shots.

Good luck, and please keep us informed on your progress.

Hunt