8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 3:49 PM by A.T. Romano

how to back up preferences and settings in elements 11

marshallphoto

I am needing to know how to back up my settings/preferences (ie text styles i have created) and Video Exporting settings (i have adjusted and tweaked some of the settings).  I am about to do a wipe and reinstall on my computer and don't want to have to do all that work of tweaking all my settings again.

• 1. Re: how to back up preferences and settings in elements 11
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Depends on what operating system you're running.

• 2. Re: how to back up preferences and settings in elements 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

marshallphoto

I addressed this type of issue back with versions 7 and 8.0/8.0.1 and wrote about saving user customed items. Here is the link to that for background. I no longer visit that forum. So, if you have questions about the older link, please ask me here in your thread.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52024

I have never updated it the article for later versions. Probably will be doing that soon. But, let me give you an example for Premiere Elements 11...

if....

Export presets that you have created under the Advance Button of a preset in the Publish+Share/Computer/export choices.

then...

you would want to go the following path to save folders and files for later reinstall into your new setup for Windows 7 or 8 64 bit...

Local Disc C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\11.0\SC Folder....

We would need to go through the rest of the items in that 8.0/8.0.1 list to see which are applicable to what you want saved.

I am basing all of the above on the original work. I will try to get a chance to road test what is in the older thread but using Premiere Elements 11.

Can we assume that your Premiere Elements 11 is on some version of Windows? Please confirm your computer operating system.

More later.

ATR

Add On...I did not see SG's post until I had posted mine.

• 4. Re: how to back up preferences and settings in elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

marshallphoto

Please post a list of all your user customized preset types that you want to save, and I will tell you how to do that, including your Styles save.

ATR

• 5. Re: how to back up preferences and settings in elements 11
                marshallphoto Level 1

I ma not sure what other info you want. I am mostly concerned about saving my "Publish+Share" settings. But would also like to save my Text Styles presets that i have made.

• 6. Re: how to back up preferences and settings in elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

marshallphoto

Just wanted to make sure that I knew all the items that you wanted to protect in your computer "wipe and reinstall".

Based on what you have written....

Will be back in a few hours or sooner with how to save your user custom export settings as well as the Styles that you have created in the Titler of Windows 7 64 bit.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 7. Re: how to back up preferences and settings in elements 11
                    marshallphoto Level 1

thank you very much. I really do appreciate it.

• 8. Re: how to back up preferences and settings in elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

marshallphoto

Proceed with caution. This does work for me. Road tested.

1. Protecting the Styles that you created in the Titler of Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit.

When you "Save A Style" that you created in the Titler, it is saved to the Styles Folder in the default location of

Libraries

Documents

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Styles

in the Styles Folder you are not going to see the individual Styles that you created. They will be included as an entire set in a file named "workingset.prsl". Save this specifically named "workingset.prsl" before the program uninstall, and,  AFTER the program reinstall, place it in this Styles Folder as that folder's "workingset.prsl" file.

2. Protecting user custom export presets created in Publish+Share/Computer/

When you create these export presets, they are stored in the path

Local Disc C

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

SC Folder

Presets

what to save at this point is determined by the type(s) you have created...check what is in the Presets Folder and then decide

a. Save the whole Presets Folder

b. Save just the whole PC Folder

These should be .epr files that you are protecting.

And, it goes without saying, whatever you replace from the cited locations before uninstall, be sure to replace them to the exact location.

There are other types of files that could be protected, but you seem to want information specific to protecting Styles and Export Setting Presets. So, I am compiling with that request.

I do not work for Adobe and am not affiliated with it in any way. The above are my observations, been road tested, and they work for me.

Do mini test runs if you have any doubts. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR