1 2 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 10:26 PM by MarioMari

Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

MarioMari Level 1

Hi!

Why in the InDesign application is not possible to choose the color in the HSB model?

Reagrds!

• 1. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Each software has its design intention of purpose. InDesign is a page layout software meant to build to a physical ink outcome on a printing press. You should avoid using the InDesign Color Picker. Instead, design ink colors using the Swatches panel. Bear in mind that you can import Photoshop and Illustrator swatches using ASE (Adobe Swatch Exchange) in the Swatches panel menu button.

• 2. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
            MarioMari Level 1

Hi Michael!

1. So why in the INDD model RGB or LAB?

2. ASE is not dynamic.  This is only useful in larger repetitive work. Not useful for me at the stage of creation. Faster sending color using the clipboard.

3. Why all the CMS in indd?

4. Why do INDD a whole bunch of tools for web?

5. If there are tools for web why lack of color in the HEX box tables web creation? Often otzrymuje as defined colors, for use in the publication. Why I can not quickly enter and transform the colors in indd?

color picker.jpg

I have to work a lot of confusion because of this inconsistency, unjustified for me and contrary to the philosophy of Adobe CC.

Only I have a problem in your work?

• 3. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

You simply have to recognize the purpose of InDesign to understand why its approach is different.

1. Because you should not work in the color picker when you understand the purpose of InDesign

2. ASE is for people who plan ahead and have to control the printing of ink which takes planning and great expenditure of money.

3. Controlling color in printing is vital. Big money is spent on a press run, and the color has to be right the first time; not the second time!

4. InDesign is not a web-development tool, but it can prep and export a lot of text and pictures as digital assets for further design and production in, say, Dreamweaver.

5. Same answer as 4. You misunderstand the purpose of InDesign.

Adobe CC is a great number of different softwares, each with its own realities and purposes. InDesign is aimed at the physical reality of putting ink on paper, and slightly second to that it is aimed at digital PDFs and now also tablet publishing. Its ability to push toward web page construction is the least developed side of its features; but I note that is evolving rapidly.

• 4. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

Similar topic as another thread:

Try this startup script for hex colors:

http://indesignsecrets.com/create-hexadecimal-color-swatches-in-indesign-for-interactive-d ocuments.php

Yeah, sure. It should already be in InDesign. BTW, the Window > Extensions > Kuler panel sort of gives you hex code capability.

• 5. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There have been a bunch of requests for this and I agree—HSB is way more intuitive for picking color whether it's for print or web. Illustrator has it so it's hard to beleive there's some engineering problem getting in the way. The inTools plugin does get you hex and connects to the current Photoshop foreground, so you can pick in PS and add the color to your ID swatches.

• 6. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                    Red Point Level 1

It shouldn't really matter what InDesign was initially conceived for or that different teams create different tools in separate applications. This is 2016, CC applications should have standardized tools, especially when it comes to such basic ones like picking your color. HSB and HEX is a must for InDesign and its about time they integrate it. I just posted a feature request AGAIN to Adobe regarding exactly the issue of including the HSB Color Picker with HEX, as I am sure numerous others have done before me. I read on the web, that InDesign has and had a very bad reputation when it comes to its color picker (Google: InDesign’s Evil Evil Color Picker). All I can say is, the color picker is my worst and most frustrating CC InDesign experience to date. What use is all the cloud mumbo jumbo when it come to synchronization if Adobe fails to standardize its most basic features in CC. Its frustrating, frustrating and again frustrating. Adobe: work on core features before introducing new ones that hardly anyone uses and please respond to basic feature request quickly!!! This color picker issue has been around since before 2007 (that's nine years). Seriously, its time the color picker is included! And thank you Mario for posting, your questions is more than just legitimate!

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                      HSB and HEX is a must for InDesign and its about time they integrate it.

CC2014 & 2015 have a HEX field

• 8. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                        Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's a good posting about the Color Picker just made this week by Mike Rankin:

http://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-basics-where-is-the-color-picker.php

• 9. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                          MarioMari Level 1

Yes you are right. Thank ADOBE. But not everywhere? This is not consistent, I do not understand why?

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 19.49.33.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 19.49.45.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 19.53.42.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 19.53.47.png

In PhotoShop situation is simple and understandable

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 19.54.35.png

• 10. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

There are many inconsistencies between the Adobe apps. You could make a long list of how many things that they share that are implemented somewhat differently!

• 11. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                              MarioMari Level 1

Yes, but let's start may require these basic?

• 12. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

HEX is just another way to denote an RGB color (#RRGGBB), so a Lab or CMYK Swatch Option couldn't have a hex value because you would have to know what the destination RGB space will be in order to get the correct value.

The Color Picker on the other hand is color managed so it's showing you the hex value of the chosen color as document RGB. If you save it as a Lab or CMYK swatch, you no longer have a hex color. InDesign is different than PS because the document can be a mix of RGB, Lab, CMYK, and grayscale objects.

• 13. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                  MarioMari Level 1

Color Hex Color Codes

rob day@: — I'm sorry, but I hope you're not with the technical team InDesign.

• 14. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                    Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

That web page is typical of many ignorant sites that understand nothing about colour. They convert some RGB to some CMYK in  some app with some settings, and put it on a web site as if it is gospel. Deluded and Damaging.

• 15. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

Charts like that are not very useful because they don't tell us exactly what the source and destination color spaces are. Should we assume RGB (hex) is sRGB, or if we are going to convert the RGB hex swatch into CMYK, should we assume the source is sRGB and the destination is US SWOP Coated? If so why? And what about the rendering intent or black point compensation used in the conversion to CMYK—they are variables that will produce different conversions.

If I take the first #ca6747 swatch in the chart and fill Photoshop docs with different profiles assigned, I'll get very different appearances. The two US SWOP docs were filled when the source was sRGB and AdobeRGB respectively:

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 5.29.46 PM.png

Or, if I set InDesign's Color Picker to #cccccc, close it, reassign the front document's RGB profile from sRGB to ProPhoto, and reopen the Color Picker the hex and RGB values will change, while the device independent Lab does not:

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 5.43.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 5.43.49 PM.png

• 16. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

Deluded and Damaging.

And if we assume they assumed a source of sRGB for #ca6747, their 0|49|65|25 CMYK conversion is not even in the ball park for any typical CMYK press.

• 17. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                          Red Point Level 1

The times when InDesign was used solely as an application for prepress is long gone. We are moving into a paperless society. Adobe wants their creative clientele to use more than one app. They're making it a lot easier now, as tools in different apps are getting similar with every new release. So you will see even more people "crossing over" from Muse / Photoshop / Illustrator even Lightroom and trying apps like InDesign. If they are paying for a full cc subscription, they also should try & use it. This being said, there will be more and more people using InDesign for other purposes than print. And they will not need to match colors 100% for printing. Sometimes you just want to create a PDF that is used electronically in a non-mission-critical color environment. In this case, you want to pick a color in an easy way, which the Adobe color picker used in Photoshop offers. It gives you shades of one color which is really neat. Adobe came up with it for a reason, because its simpler to use. If you are using the same color environment in all Adobe apps, whats the problem using that color picker? I never came across a problem and I have been doing web & print for over 22 years now.

On another note, I find it a lot easier to copy HEX between application than to do swatch syncing. Since progress tends to simplify things (and not make them more complicated), I am sure that one day the color discrepancy will have to bow to standardization and hence simplification. In the meantime, it should be up to the individual to use colors and color pickers the way they are used too. And if people want the Photoshop color picker in InDesign, what harm is done to the professional DTP'er. Quit frankly, I can see none! But it would make it easier for many thousand users coming to InDesign from Photoshop. Therefore, the Photoshop color picker is overdue and I am sure it will come to InDesign.

For the future it would surely be nice to see a HEX number (6, 8, 10 digits or whatever is necessary) that renders the same color across different application. Maybe a standard color space is overdue. I am not a color expert, but I do believe making peoples lives easier will let them focus on creativity. Dealing with color spaces definitely doesn't make my workflow more efficient. I don't really care whats in the engine or how it works, I just want to drive and get from A to B quickly, if you know what I mean...

(;

• 18. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

Maybe a standard color space is overdue.

If you go back to Photoshop 1.0 you can have that and find out what a huge problem it was—color management is necessary and won't go away because there's no such thing as a standard print or display space.

Again hex is simply another way of denoting an RGB color—3 pairs of letters or numbers vs. 3 numbers between 0 and 255. You can't solve universal color management problems via hex. If you convert an sRGB hex value to US SWOP Coated and then the same color to US Newsprint, you will get very different output values for good reason–the two press conditions produce very different color.

• 19. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                              Red Point Level 1

@ Testscreamname: I dont really understand what you meant with your comment: "They convert some RGB to some CMYK in  some app with some settings, and put it on a web site as if it is gospel. Deluded and Damaging"

CMYK is used because offset machines use these colors Cyan Magenta etc. as colors. Why would you convert RGB (as screen color) to CMYK for a website? And why use CMYK if your not printing? Its not like CMYK is in any way superior. It just matches color paint. RGB is digital and stays digital.

Alot more people work in RGB in a non DTP environment than in CMYK, not least because we live in a world where print is shrinking and digital is becoming more.

So when Mario is asking why the Photoshop RGB color picker is not part of InDesign, he has a very valid point. He is right because our world is becoming digital. Its also the sustainable think to do!

• 20. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                Red Point Level 1

@Rob: Any app you are using is based on binary code, which can translate into HEX. So why shouldn't it be possible to create a unique color code? The only presupposition is that everyone uses a standard color environment. Forget about switching from RGB to CMYK to color profile this or that. Lets assume, that digital stays RGB and DTP stays within CMYK. Assuming that conversion from RGB to CMYK - SWOP Coated and then to US Newsprint should render the same color or stating that it is a problem that it does'nt misses the point.If you are preparing documents for print you use CMYK and if you're staying digital you don't need CMYK.

The whole point of this initial question is why Adobe is not integrating the Photoshop color picker in InDesign. Photoshop is used for print, still it has the color picker. Thats Marios point. The Hex issue is not important if your only interested in staying RGB across apps. There seems to be a dogmatic believe that InDesign may only be used by DTP'ers who actually go to press.

There are actually people who use InDesign and don't ever need CMYK or any related color environments. I think this is where the misunderstanding lies.

• 21. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

The only presupposition is that everyone uses a standard color environment.

No one is and no one will—that's why Photoshop 1.0 didn't work for color output.

You might choose to edit in sRGB but I work in AdobeRGB—the two spaces display the same hex or RGB value differently.

The same CMYK value has a different appearance on newsprint than it does on sheetfed coated—there's nothing that can be done about that other than to adjust the conversion and output numbers.

I was responding to Mario's #9 where he's showing a Swatch Options for a Lab color that doesn't have a hex value implying that that's a problem. Hex values are RGB colors and would change depending on the assigned RGB profile, so there can't be a universal hex value that would work for CMYK or Lab thus the missing hex value for Lab and CMYK. The CMYK and Lab values in Mario's link are not accurate.

InDesign has to have more complex color management because it allows you to mix RGB, CMYK, and Lab. In fact now it is now prefered to leave images as RGB for print so that the conversion is delayed until output where you know the profile of the device—PDF/X-4.

• 22. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                    MarioMari Level 1

To: rob day.

Color management and proofing a slightly different topic. In this topic I mean two things:

1. Fast convert and transfer of colors by universal HEX

2. Mixing colors in a particular my color system eg. HSB.

Shortly only answer as neatly solved in PS. Simply press the keys CMD + Shift + Y to work with the default proof colors or gamut.

For me, it's another thing to be a universal solution. Only Adobe knows why it is not so now all applications Adobe CC?

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 06.32.09.png

• 24. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                      MarioMari Level 1

Red Point napisał(-a):

Alot more people work in RGB in a non DTP environment than in CMYK, not least because we live in a world where print is shrinking and digital is becoming more.

Colleagues, it is beside the point.

Today it is so, that is. I want to quickly move the color or select or convert. Just enough. Each of us, and the more each situation is different. You only need a universal solution. There is no kombiniować. What counts are simple solutions. Such a PhotoShop. Adobe should be do not you just consistent, and Adobe CC teams have a common time to work. Otherwise it is not Adobe CC for pro...

• 25. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                        Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Window>Colour>Adobe Colour Themes

There's a HSB option there...

• 26. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

1. Fast convert and transfer of colors by universal HEX

An HSB interface with the color picker would be nice, but there's nothing universal about hex it just happens to be the default web coding RGB notation. Hex notation will not ensure consistency between devices—in the end it is still a device dependent RGB color. My post only questioned the assumption that Lab or CMYK defined swatches could be notated as a hex value.

There are obvious inconsistencies between the CC apps, but then they were never developed in unison. Illustrator (since 1988) has had a single document color space for native color, InDesign does not. I prefer the more flexible InDesign approach, but I'm guessing there would not be universal agreement on that, not to mention the engineering degree of difficulty to make the change.

• 27. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

I've been using Adobe applications since Illustrator 88 in 1988, and I've been teaching the Adobe graphic applications since 1999.

When the Adobe applications started, they were totally separate, developed by different teams. They were much more different than they are now. When they were rounded up into the Creative Suite (about 2002), they were given a more common interface, and they began to copy some of each other's features. However, in the Creative Cloud, as in the Creative Suite, each development team was given some latitude to allow differences that were useful to their users. For example, while in the Creative Suite, all the apps were given an Application Bar (the topmost bar that in InDesign contains the Publish Online button and the workspace menu), later on the Photoshop team removed it. Their users wanted the screen space to view images.

So it will probably continue that with a generally common interface and many shared features, but there will always be differences. Vive la différence!

• 28. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                              MarioMari Level 1

Yes you are right. But with such a variety of applications to be common parts. I mean such things eg. As the color palette, the way of their choice, convert and transfer between applications. Of course you can already several ways but by the HEX is still simple and reliable way to quickly copy the color between the programs not only ADOBE (CMS that's another story).

During the creation of the agitation frequently I use pallets HSB. InDesign surprising lack of it.

Indd:

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 18.23.27.jpg

Ai:

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 18.35.03.png

PS:

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 18.35.47.jpg

Again. Certain things must be uniform and logical if it is to be CC, it is not creative when I am switching to another program I have to change habits Takla basic as using a color like.

So I ask again:

• 29. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

HEX is still simple and reliable way to quickly copy the color between the programs

Hex is no more reliable than any other RGB notation. It would only reliably transfer if you were very careful to assign the same RGB profile to all of your documents and Color Settings' RGB Working spaces, and know that other apps are profiling RGB with the same profile, otherwise the color appearance will shift when there's a conflict. If you happen to work in an environment where everything can be assigned the lowest common denominator sRGB then it's easier, but not guaranteed.

Here's an InDesign doc with sRGB assigned and in Photoshop a doc with ProPhotoRGB assigned. I can see that the color appearance is very different when the color pickers are set to the same #c86400 value. If I then save the Photoshop file for web as a JPEG and allow it to convert to sRGB I'll get a new hex value (#ff5001) when I reopen the JPEG and sample the color.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 12.57.20 PM.png

• 30. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                                  MarioMari Level 1

Thank you for your advice. They are precious and valuable, and your important time. Thank you.

I have been working 15 years in this profession and in Adobe from almost the beginning. I know it all.

HEX is easy to just copy and paste one info.

Usually work like this: Composition in Illustrator or PS or INDD, further versions of the work for WEB Astron web, Adobe Animate (formerly Flash), Ae i Pr.

There are so many ways in the creation and how many customers needs. I do not want to write about it now. Do not you just work at Adobe for its inconsistency bothers me at work.

The HSB fun I choose the colors of the first composition or when looking color quickly find it — And this time is in the time is not there.

When you get still the same mistakes and lack and result, my level of frustration increases (my time and my idea creations). Therefore, my questions about what's going on? Am I the last one in this world who sees it and who design these programs? Sometimes it's annoying.

The work is to be pro simply, consistently and predictably because that is the intention Adobe CS and Adobe CC now, now it is not. This must change.

So I ask again:

• 31. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                                    MarioMari Level 1

Here's a preview of Ai, indd and PS CMYK. All the same. The RGB works the same way.

You have a bad CMS set at home.

But this is another topic. Another topic.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 19.59.50.png

• 32. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

Your missing the point—you have the same profiles assigned, so of course you get matching color. You seem to think hex is a device independent color space like Lab, but it is not, it's RGB. I'm just using color management to show how hex values respond to the assigned profile.

Make an RGB PS file, assign sRGB, fill it with any hex value, and then reassign the doc profile (Edit>Assign Profile) to a large gamut space like ProPhotoRGB or AdobeRGB and the color appearance will change—that's expected behavior, not bad CMS.

• 33. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

Here's a zip archive with an example. Two .PSD files with solid color layers set to the same hex value, but display differently because of the profiles. Open with your Color Settings RGB policy set to Preserve Embedded:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/HexExample.zip

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 3.23.11 PM.png

• 34. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                                          MarioMari Level 1

Of course yes.

What else is to convert to a profile, and another to turn soft proofs.

Please open another topic for this issue entitled "soft proofs"

https://luminous-landscape.com/understanding-soft-proofing/

But this is another topic. Another topic. Another topic. Another topic. Another topic.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 21.47.10.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 21.47.52.png

• 35. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

Your Off setting strips the profiles, so the color is being re assigned to the Working RGB space. Change your Working RGB space to ProPhoto and both previews will change.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread–I agree an HSB color picker would be a nice feature.

I understand how profiling and soft proofing works. I was just pointing out why HEX values can't be included in a CMYK swatch—it would be impossible to know what the conversion from CMYK to HEX would be because we don't know the destination RGB profile for the conversion.

• 36. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                                              MarioMari Level 1

From our conversation, I think the conclusion that it is all the more chaos in building these applications than the planned action in the field of Adobe tools CC. ?

• 37. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?
                                                                                MarioMari Level 1

@: Michael Witherell

From our conversation, I think the conclusion that it is all the more chaos in building these applications than the planned action in the field of Adobe tools CC.

I write down materials in the LAB then converts the file creation for print or network by selecting the output by CMS. In this way, I do not need to create multiple versions of files for offset, heatset, coldset, and then the ebook. As a result, the colors are the best in each option without additional settings. This is not the same as the optimization of a specific medium but saves time in most cases.

Thanks to the adjustment layer source file is always available in the best color quality to that in a special modification.

But I am missing  HSB picker because on him quickly find needed colors in the palette. Then, if necessary adapt them to the final color space. This of course is the mass production, mainly the press where there is not much time.

• 38. Re: Why miss "HSB color picker" in inDesigne?

In this way, I do not need to create multiple versions of files for offset, heatset, coldset, and then the ebook

The PDF/X-4 standard was developed to do exactly that, where all of the source color is profiled and not converted to the print CMYK space until output when the CMYK press profile should be known. The source color could be Lab, but it could also be profiled RGB. A single PDF/X-4 file can be repurposed for any press condition without creating multiple output files because the RGB or CMYK color has to be profiled in order to qualify for the X-4 standard. You still have to consider color gamut limits, but that would be a problem with either Lab or profiled RGB.

1 2 Previous Next