4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2013 10:12 AM by A.T. Romano

Rename uploaded files?

lauraraybourn

How can I rename uploaded files?  I have been given source materials with duplicate file names on multiple DVDs.  I do not have the hard drive space to download to my computer and then rename.  Is there a way to rename uploaded files (not clips) to eliminate duplicate file names?  The program will not upload files that it believes already exist.

• 1. Re: Rename uploaded files?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lauraraybourn

It is not clear to me what is happening.

I understand the part about

"I have been given source materials with duplicate file names on multiple DVDs."

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

What do you want to do (if we take file names out of the equation)....rip VOBs from DVD-VIDEO on those DVD disc or are the DVD disc just storage for an assortment of file types, .mov, .mp4, .avi, other)?

I am not sure what you mean by uploading in context with what is happening. Where is this "uploading" to?

If you  cannot import the DVD disc content into your computer for file name editing, how do you expect to do any video editing with a video editor?

We are eager to help resolve your issue, but could you please clarify your details?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Rename uploaded files?
            lauraraybourn Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  I am using Premiere Elements 9. 

I have uploaded 3 VOB files from DVD to my media for a new project.  I have six more DVD's to upload but all the files on the DVDs have the exact same VOB file names (VTS.01-1.VOB -  for example).  Therefore, the program will not upload the additional material because the file names are the same as the ones which are already uploaded.  Message -  "This file already exists". 

I would like to rename the files which have already been uploaded so that I can continue uploading with no duplicate file name issues. 

I do not have enough hard drive capacity to download the DVD's to my computer and then rename (each DVD has at least one hour of material).

It seems like there should be an easy way to do this, but cannot find the instructions anywhere.

Thank you ~

LAR

Lauraraybourn It is not clear to me what is happening. I understand the part about"I have been given source materials with duplicate file names on multiple DVDs." What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?What do you want to do (if we take file names out of the equation)....rip VOBs from DVD-VIDEO on those DVD disc or are the DVD disc just storage for an assortment of file types, .mov, .mp4, .avi, other)? I am not sure what you mean by uploading in context with what is happening. Where is this "uploading" to? If you  cannot import the DVD disc content into your computer for file name editing, how do you expect to do any video editing with a video editor? We are eager to help resolve your issue, but could you please clarify your details. Thanks. ATRPlease note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5730148#5730148Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5730148#5730148To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5730148#5730148. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe CommunityFor more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://foru

• 3. Re: Rename uploaded files?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>do not have enough hard drive capacity to download the DVD's to my computer and then rename

I have to agree with ATR on this one... if you do not have hard drive space for the files, you will never be able to edit... Premiere Elements requires a LOT of free hard drive space for temporary files

• 4. Re: Rename uploaded files?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

LAR

Your clarification was great.

Computer resources providing this is what you do.....let us see if the following can be made to work for you...

It is important to give your Premiere Elements version number and the computer operating system on which it is running. I will generalize for now, assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 11 Windows.

1. Go to Libraries\Documents\Videos and create 7 folders each with a different name, such as, DVD 1 VOBs, DVD 2 VOBs, etc.

2. Put DVD 1 in the DVD burner tray, open Premiere Elements, go to Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer/Drive/Video Importer. Look for the Save In: field in the Video Importer dialog. Browse to and set that field for the folder in Videos named DVD 1 VOBs. If you do not want to put the VOBs into an immediate project, uncheck Add to Timeline. Repeat the process for the other DVD discs that you have. The only difference for each being directing the VOBs to the correct empty folder in Videos that is waiting for them, that is, resetting the Video Importer Save In field location each time.

Do you have an external hard drive formatted NTFS. If so, you can explore using that location in the Video Importer Save In. That would spare your Local Disc C.

Please review and let us know the outcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR