2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2013 2:42 AM by tristansummers RSS

Is there a bug that causes AI type to incorrectly kern in AE (CS5.5, OSX.7.5)

tristansummers Community Member

Hello.

Has anyone else had an Illustrator font display incorrectly in After Effects?

It seems the kerning information is not translating.

It is a tried and tested and otherwise working font.

There are no duplicates or conflicts.

Is there a set of troubleshooting steps I can take?

I have cleaned my font cache with Onyx.

It may be a bug.

We have tried stripping all formatting out of text prior to pasting into illustrator.

There is a lot of text and converting it all to outlines is not really feasible

Tris

• 1. Re: Is there a bug that causes AI type to incorrectly kern in AE (CS5.5, OSX.7.5)
          Rick Gerard CommunityMVP

Screenshots? I have not seen this at all, but then it's been a very long time since I have been on 7.5 and CS5.5.

You could always convert your text layers to outlines.

• 2. Re: Is there a bug that causes AI type to incorrectly kern in AE (CS5.5, OSX.7.5)
            tristansummers Community Member

Thanks again for your brain cells Rick.

That's what I had to do as ran out of time to solve it.

shift apple O dear

There seems to be something related to it involving text exported from Powerpoint, via INDesign and/or Iluustrator, that only effects After Efects.

Very odd.

So we stripped it all out with text edit but still seeing weirdness.

I just thought there may have been something noticed in the translation processes.

AICS5 to AECS6 say.

Like the Photo filter update in AE that you have to rebuild.

Or a weird thing I had where I had to add an extra frame if I was rendering a comp in CS6 (maybe a new 29.97 calculation) and remove it again in CS5.

It is one of those things you don't notice unless you are looking for it, unless you actually care about typography!

I am just pretending it is '98 and converting it all to Outlines.

At least it doesn't take a week to render anymore.