2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 2:42 AM by tristansummers

Is there a bug that causes AI type to incorrectly kern in AE (CS5.5, OSX.7.5)

tristansummers Level 1

Hello.

Has anyone else had an Illustrator font display incorrectly in After Effects?

It seems the kerning information is not translating.

It is a tried and tested and otherwise working font.

There are no duplicates or conflicts.

Is there a set of troubleshooting steps I can take?

I have cleaned my font cache with Onyx.

It may be a bug.

We have tried stripping all formatting out of text prior to pasting into illustrator.

There is a lot of text and converting it all to outlines is not really feasible

Tris

• 1. Re: Is there a bug that causes AI type to incorrectly kern in AE (CS5.5, OSX.7.5)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Screenshots? I have not seen this at all, but then it's been a very long time since I have been on 7.5 and CS5.5.

You could always convert your text layers to outlines.

• 2. Re: Is there a bug that causes AI type to incorrectly kern in AE (CS5.5, OSX.7.5)
            tristansummers Level 1

Thanks again for your brain cells Rick.

That's what I had to do as ran out of time to solve it.

shift apple O dear

There seems to be something related to it involving text exported from Powerpoint, via INDesign and/or Iluustrator, that only effects After Efects.

Very odd.

So we stripped it all out with text edit but still seeing weirdness.

I just thought there may have been something noticed in the translation processes.

AICS5 to AECS6 say.

Like the Photo filter update in AE that you have to rebuild.

Or a weird thing I had where I had to add an extra frame if I was rendering a comp in CS6 (maybe a new 29.97 calculation) and remove it again in CS5.

It is one of those things you don't notice unless you are looking for it, unless you actually care about typography!

I am just pretending it is '98 and converting it all to Outlines.

At least it doesn't take a week to render anymore.