3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2007 5:24 PM by Newsgroup_User

The Flash-DB Myth

Juankpro Level 2
      In my country (Ecuador) a myth about Flash and Databases is becoming very popular. The myth says: "I friend of a friend says that he can directly connect to a Database, armed with only the SWF file and the clients Flash Player. I don't know how to do it, but as soon as I discover it I'll tell you". The myth states that these people does not use: Flex, AIR, Coldfusion, Zinc or any other Server or Desktop Application as a host. Some other says that this friend of a friend doesn't want to share the secret.

I've worked with Flash since Flash 3 and I have studied a lot, including those undocumented features. At first I told that I was not true, but then there was so many people with the same myth, that I started to doubt about it. The myth cones particularly from College teachers.

There are two possibilities:

1) The myth is true, and there a little amount of selfish people not willing to share the knowledge. This is bad because it stops the market from growing, and besides, nothing is all about knowledge but about the ability to manage that knowledge.

2) The myth is absolutely false, someone was told of that friend of a friend and then he started to say the same thing to its students and friends, which in fact started to say the same thing to other students and friends.

Thanks for heling me have a solid background so I can debate this with teachers in College.

Juank
        • 1. Re: The Flash-DB Myth
          Level 7
          Juank,

> There are two possibilities:
          >
          > 1) The myth is true, [etc.]
          > 2) The myth is absolutely false, [etc.]

I propose a third (or at least a reason for the second idea): the myth
          is false, and the reason it got started was to challenge the Flash community
          into drumming up functionality Flash Player simply doesn't have. To my
          knowledge, it hasn't happened yet: Flash Player, on its own, cannot connect
          to a database. The AIR runtime (which extends on Flash Player) can connect
          to mySQL. This is a new feature, but here too, it's more than just Flash.

> Thanks for heling me have a solid background so I can
          > debate this with teachers in College.

There's really nothing to debate. I believe you in everything you've
          said; I believe that some of your college professors may indeed take this
          myth as fact, but my feeling is that the responsibility is theirs, as
          educators, to teach provable concepts. Conjecture doesn't help anything. I
          can likewise assert that Flash is capable of speaking directly to USB ports.
          Unless I can demonstrate my assertion (I cannot, because Flash Player cannot
          speak to USB ports), my statement has no practical value.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: The Flash-DB Myth
            Juankpro Level 2
            Thanks a lot. I have always thought that. There is no way (at least with AS 1 and 2 as they say) to directly connect with a data base.

I placed this topic into another forums and I found something really interesting. With AS 3 you can now communicate directly with a database, because AS3 now allows binary data socket connections. Even though this is awesome it is still insecure because anyone can decompile a SWF file.

I didn't knew this because I have only touched AS3 surface for now. But if you want more info you can see this at Ultrashock
            • 3. Re: The Flash-DB Myth
              Level 7
              juankpro,

> I placed this topic into another forums and I found something
              > really interesting. With AS 3 you can now communicate directly
              > with a database, because AS3 now allows binary data socket
              > connections.

Aha! Well ... yes, that really is interesting! I stand corrected,
              then -- and thanks for coming back with this information! :) According to
              the URL posted on your UltraShock thread, here's the hyperlink to some
              proofs of concept:

http://asql.mooska.pl/

> Even though this is awesome it is still insecure because anyone
              > can decompile a SWF file.

That makes sense. Still, people are using the ByteArray class for all
              sorts of creative and useful things, and this definitely counts. Humble pie
              makes for some good eatin'. ;) Thanks again for bringing this to light.
              I'm always happy to learn about something new, and the mooska site cuts
              right through the conjecture.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
              "Luck is the residue of good design."