4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2013 1:37 PM by A.T. Romano

Importing Video

tmcl2186

I rendered avi files with Pinnacle 12 and tried to import it into Elements to edit. It was imported but the scenes were not detected. Is it possible to configure Elements to detcet scee]ns.

Tmcl2186

• 1. Re: Importing Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What version of PrE are you using, and on what OS version?

From Pinnacle, what are the full specs. of the Exported AVI file? AVI is but a wrapper, and can contain myriad CODEC's, etc.

Upon Import (not Capture from a miniDV tape) you will not get Scene Detection. However, if you use Scenalyzer Live, it can do Scene Detect from existing Video files. It is also a great Capture utility, but has functions (like that Scene Detect), that can be used with existing footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing Video
            nealeh Level 5

Note that ScenalyzerLive product development was discontinued but has been made freely available by the author at http://www.scenalyzer.com/.

Also note his reasons for discontinuing development - don't expect it to work with modern file formats.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Importing Video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for that update. Glad that I bought my copy, some years back, so that the developer got some $ for his work.

Now, if the Pinnacle created AVI is a DV-AVI, then SceneAlyzer might well be helpful. If it is something else, then your caveat should be taken seriously.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Importing Video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

tmcl2186

I rendered avi files with Pinnacle 12 and tried to import it into Elements to edit. It was imported but the scenes were not detected. Is it possible to configure Elements to detcet scee]ns.

Not completely sure what you were doing when you wrote ".....imported but the scenes were not detected."

Please consider the following which may do what you want to achieve, that is, having split clips from your import on the Premiere Elements 12 Timeline. I did the following with Premiere Elements 12 on either Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit.

1. Import your file via Add Media/Files & Folders/Project Assets.

(In my case it was a MP4.avi 9 minute file.)

2. Right click the file in Project Assets and select Run AutoAnalyzer.

(In my case the process took about 2 to 3 minutes.)

3. At the end of the AutoAnalyzer analysis, you will see in Project Assets, your original file plus a file with a "clip" at its right edge.

What you have is your split scenes in a stack which can be opened by clicking on the "clip".

(In my case, the process yielded 17 split clips.)

Please review and determine if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR