4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2013 11:19 AM by Markpic

Frame rate converting question!!

cgpsalm91

I have a Canon Vixia HF M41, and edit with Adobe Premiere Elements 9.  I filmed something in 60i and want to convert it in Adobe Premiere Elements to 30fps, for a better film look.  Any help how to do this?

Thanks!! PLEASE REPLY!

cgpsalm91

• 1. Re: Frame rate converting question!!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cgpsalm91

If you have recorded your video as 60i, you have 29.97 interlaced frames per second. That 60i is a designation for 60 field per second which equates to 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second.

If you have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and are shooting 1920 x 1080 (60i), your project preset should be:

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30

So, please detail what you seek. The project preset should match the properties of your source media.

After that we can talk about export settings directed at your viewing goal.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Frame rate converting question!!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, technicall 60i IS 30 fps, since it's 60 interlaced fields creating 30 frames of video per second.

But you can certainly load your video into Premiere Elements and use one of the Share templates to output any format you'd like.

The ideal format for you to Share would be AVCHD 30 -- which was added in version 10. So you'll need to create a special output template.

The best output format depends on how you plan to display your video. But you can try this one.

Use Share/Computer/Quicktime with the NTSC DV preset. Then click the Advanced button set the Video Codec to H.264, the Frame Rate to 30 and the Field Type to Progressive. You'll also need to set the Aspect Ratio to Square Pixels (1.0) and set the Width and Height to either 640x480 for standard definition, 850x480 for widescreen or 1920x1080 for high def video. (You may need to click on the chain link button to un-constrain the Width and Height from 720x480.)

It's difficult to get more specific than that without knowing exactly how you plan to use or display this video. But once you create those settings, you can save it as a permanent output template.

Obviously, things are much easier in versions 10, 11 and 12, where the AVCHD output templates already exist.

• 3. Re: Frame rate converting question!!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

cgpsalm91

If you have any doubts what your video frame rate is, please do a properties readout with free program such a MediaInfo.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If you do not have this program installed already, please note the download and install information closely to avoid any unexpected toolbars being installed along with the MediaInfo program. There will be an icon for the sponsor of the program at the bottom of the program tools in the workspace vertical edge.

Typically, when you do a video properties readout for video with 60i designation for frame rate, the frame rate will be given as 29.97 interlaced frames per second. But, some camera manufacturer's do set up for 30 and not 29.97. It is a longer story for another time.

ATR

• 4. Re: Frame rate converting question!!
                Markpic Level 1

All's I can say, is, this is why I keep updated, and upgrade my video software.

If you purchase the latest camera--you want the latest software.