5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2013 12:36 PM by johnr300

Threading backwards?

johnr300 Level 1

Can InDesign thread a file through multiple pages, from the last page backward and from the end of the file (story) to the beginning? If yes, how do you do it. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Threading backwards?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sure. Click the IN port on the last frame, then click inside the frame in front of it, and so forth. It's basically the same as going theother way, except you use the inport instead of the  outport.

• 2. Re: Threading backwards?
            johnr300 Level 1

Thanks, Peter. That answers my question.

• 3. Re: Threading backwards?
              johnr300 Level 1

I spoke too soon.

This answers the first part of the puzzle which is to have to text flow from last box to first.

However, I need the copy to start at the end and to stick in the last box as if it's the first. This is because I need to place the copy, drop mug shots into it, then move to the next box. The mug shots will push the copy, but needs to push it from last to first.

Is there anyway to do this?

• 4. Re: Threading backwards?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Umm, not sure what you are after here. Text always moves to the first frame in a thread. Are you saying, in essence,  you want it to grow backwards as you add, but still read from front to back?

The only way I can think of to do this is by playing with the page count and positions.

• 5. Re: Threading backwards?
                  johnr300 Level 1

I guess there isn't a way to do what I want which is for the threading to work exactly backwards. Though the story still reads from front to back, the text flows from back to front, starting with the end of the story.

I also realize that I might have been looking for a solution that I don't need. I think I need to explore anchoring the mug shots to the specific spots in the text so that the photos flow with the text. I have never needed to use the anchoring feature.

Thanks for your help.