8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2013 1:43 PM by Noel Carboni

filter preview is blank

jesc516 Level 1

would anyone know why the image preview comes up blank (white screen) when i am making changes with different fitlers? reduce noise, unsharp mask etc..

thanks

• 1. Re: filter preview is blank
          Mike M Level 6

Is the correct layer selected and visible?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: filter preview is blank
            Noel Carboni Level 8

On a hunch, try updating your display driver from the web site of the maker of your video card.

-Noel

• 3. Re: filter preview is blank
              jesc516 Level 1

1. C F McBlob,

Is the correct layer selected and visible?

i believe this answered my question. i can only view the preview when i am in a selected a layer (background copy, layer 1,2,3 etc..) but not while i am in a filter (reduce noise, unsharp mark). is this the way cs6 is designed?

thank you

• 4. Re: filter preview is blank
                Mike M Level 6

As long as I'm applying a filter or mask to a layer with content in it, I get a preview of THAT layer with filters or masks, be they Adobe filters or third party.

• 5. Re: filter preview is blank
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

There is some ambiguity here.

1.  Virtually all filters have their own preview, which shows the specific layer that's being operated-upon with the filter applied to it.

2.  Many/most filters also update the Photoshop main preview window to show you what your changes are going to look like when written back to the document.  You should NOT expect this to go blank while operating a filter.

To which of the above are you referring?

Maybe capturing a screenshot and posting it here showing what you're seeing would help clarify...

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: filter preview is blank
                    jesc516 Level 1

Hi Noel,

i tried to upload screen shots yesterday night but i was unable to login to adobe. Here are the screen shots. As you can see, i am unable to view the image preview while a filter is selected. Is this by design? Yet, if i have a layer selected, i can see the image preview.

preview_no preview1

• 7. Re: filter preview is blank
                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, J, on the first image, a white mask is selected, you are trying to sharpen the white content of a mask, so the preview is correct.

You can either create a merged copy of all the layers below with Ctrl+alt+shift+e when the top layer is selected and filter that, but changes on the settings of the adjustment layers would not be reflected on the merged layer.

To keep things dynamic (ie if you change the settings below, have the whole image update), you can put all these layers in a group, then right-clic and convert it to a smart object, the apply UnSharp Mask to the smart object.

Hope this helps!

• 8. Re: filter preview is blank
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

In short, what you are seeing is normal and expected.  The filters work on layers.  You have to have the appropriate layer selected to work on its pixels.

-Noel