20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2013 8:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio

CP User

How do I adjust volume at the beginning and end of audio?  So volume goes up slightly to full volume in middle to lower volume and end of audio???

• 1. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
          A.T. Romano Level 7

CP User

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running.

In the absence of more information, I will give you a generalized answer.

Use the Audio Mix feature and with the Timeline content playing back and the Audio Mix opened, adjust the Audio Mix volume sliders for your audio (Audio 1, Audio 2....Soundtrack....Narration....) to adjust the volume across the clip rather than have the volume change apply uniformly across the clip.

In this process, volume keyframes are generated/set (they present on the Timeline content "rubberband" as white dots). They are adjustable there as well as in Audio Mix reopened. Rubberband is the orange line that runs horizontally through your middle of your audio clip.

Remember, the answers are in the details. So, please details to help us help you.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
            CP User Level 1

I am using Window 8, Elements 11 and the operating system is OS7 I believe....  I appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
              A.T. Romano Level 7

CP User

The Audio Mix feature of Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit should work fine for your audio adjusts as you described them.

If you run into any problems, please let me know. I have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit, and I will work with you through it if necessary.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                CP User Level 1

ATR - I really appreciate your help. 

Now I am going to ask a stupid question.  Where do I find the audio mix???  I have been looking for something like that and I can't find it anywhere.  How do I find it???? 

I am used to using Magix movie editing software and we could just overlap both audio files and it would blend.  I am wondering if my audio file has attached to the photos I am using.  The reason I say that is because when I try to overlap the audio files with elements 11 it hides photos on me. 

I am trying to get this video done for my daughters wedding on October 26th and my old computer crashed and I had to get a new one so I upgraded to adobe.  So I am trying to learn a new computer and a new software.  Your help is beyond helpfull and I am thankful.

Thank you again!!!

Jeff

• 5. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

in Expert View, click on the Tools menu on the Action Bar along the bottom of the program. The Audio Mixer should be the first tool listed.

• 6. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Steve has pointed you to the location of the Audio Mixer, and ATR has directed you on attenuating the Volume at the beginning, and end of your Audio Clip.

There are also a few other ways to achieve what you wish. Though I normally use the Audio Mixer, this article will point out a few of those other methods: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3472343#3472343

Note: some of those screen-caps are from earlier versions of PrE, and I need to update those (plus the ones for PrPro) to reflect later versions. Something to do on a "rainy day."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                      CP User Level 1

ATR - Thank you I will try that tonight.

• 8. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Every question is important if you do not have an answer for it. So, please never hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written or need supplemental information.

As for the location of the Audio Mixer in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit (same as for Windows 7 64 bit)...

Access is from under Tools Menu at top of Expert workspace or Tools Tabs at bottom. Please refer to screenshot

AudioMixer.jpg

In addition to what has already been post, here is some more information on your questions.

If you have not seen it already, please check out the excellent Adobe document "Premiere Elements/Mixing Audio and Adjusting Volume"

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS6C96BC86-7342-44a4-8D3F-936C1D66DE0B. html

I think that you will do OK with the Audio Mixer. But, you might want explore keyframing the volume at the level of the audio clip "rubberband". That is the orange line that runs horizontally across the middle of the audio clip.

a. hold down the Ctrl key of computer main keyboard and left mouse click a spot where you want to place a volume keyframe. You can do that at as many locations on the rubberband as needed. Then with the mouse cursor move the white dots (keyframes) up or down to increase or decrease the volume at a given location along the clip.

Rubberband.JPG

The following is a blog post that I have written on the Video and Audio Track Rubberbands (how to with graphics) which should help you successfully get into that particular workflow.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-video-and-audio-track-rubberband.html

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance with your Premiere Elements workflow. Screenshots are all from Premiere Elements 11 Windows.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                          CP User Level 1

ATR - I have one more question.  I was able to work with the keyframes however the button used under Audio 1 somehow disappeared and is not there right now.  How do I get it back?  If I open up a new project it's there but it's not on the project I am currently working on but it was once there.  I'd rather not have to start over.

Again thank you for all your help.  I really appreciate it.

Jeff

• 10. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

CP User

I think I know to what you are referring.

Those tracks come in an opened and closed configuration. Look to the far left of the particular track, is the triangle pointing down or toward the right? If the track is closed (triangle pointing right), you will not see the group of three buttons

Go to Previous Keyframe

Add/Remove Keyframe

Go to Next Keyframe

Let me know if I targeted that question. If not, I will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                              CP User Level 1

ATR - That arrow is pointing to the left and is greyed out.  I can see the Go to Previous Keyframe and Add/Remove Keyframe but I can't do anything with the frames.  I don't see Go to Next Keyframe and like I said those buttons are not there.  I even went to the next song and nothing changed.  I hope that helps.  Any other idea's.

Thanks again,

Jeff

• 12. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                Markpic Level 1

The Adobe Premiere Elements timeline offers multiple tracks.

My movies never need to change volume.

But I would suggest--you create audio clips--that will fit the audio timeline.

Volume-1 (timeline)

Volume-2 (timeline#2)

My audio files are created using my Creative Products.

They are made prior to making the movie.

Message was edited by: Markpic

• 13. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Regardless of your workflow, Mark, the poster still needs to know how to keyframe his volume levels.

• 14. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing as it relates to the keyframes (white dots) visible on the Premiere Elements TImeline after you have created your Volume keyframes.

Did you go back and check out my blog post on the Video and Audio track content rubberband?

Here our somethings to check out

In the following example, I placed the music on the opened Audio 1. Then press the Add/Remove  keyframe button at the position of the Timeline Indicator. As you can see from the screenshot, I moved the Timeline Indicator to 3 different locations to place those Volume keyframes as represented on the audio content rubberband.

Rubberband1.JPG

Alternatively, I could have just done a Ctrl click at each of those points.

Once I have those keyframes in place, than I can move each up or down to increase or decrease the volume respectively at the given point. Afterward, the Go To Previous and Go to Next will work only if appropriate. As an example, with the Timeline Indicator at that 3rd Volume keyframe, the Go to Next will be grayed out since there is no keyframe after that on that particular clip. But, the Go to Previous will be available under that condition, so that I can get back to Volume keyframe 2 and 1.

If I bring a second audio clip and place it side by side with the one that is already there with its 3 keyframes, I can highlight the second audio clip and repeat what I did using Add/Remove Keyframes for  Volume keyframes at the place of the Timeline Indicator or using the Ctrl click route to place rubberband Volume keyframes.

In using the Go to Previous and Go to Next, remember that is clip specific. That is, after you place the Volume keyframes on this clip 1 and 2 example and have the Timeline Indicator at Volume keyframe 3 on clip 1, you cannot hit Go to Next to get to the first Volume keyframe on clip 2.

Please excuse if I have written anything above that you did not already know. I just did not want to take anything for granted. If none of the above applies to your situation, then I think that the screenshoot of what you have would help.

How did you do with using the Audio Mixer to adjust the Volume at the beginning and end of your audio clip? Or, are you using that now and trying to adjust the Volume keyframes that were automatically placed in the Audio Mixer process?

Thanks for the follow up and working through the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 15. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

If you are having trouble getting your Go to Previous - Keyframe - Go to Next buttons (◄●►) to activate, please try this:

Select the Audio Clip in the Timeline, then go to the Adjust button at the upper-right of the editing screen. Hitting that button will launch the Adjust Panel, with its mini-timeline. Look for Volume, and twirl that open. Click on the stopwatch to Toggle Keyframing on. Move the CTI to the desired position of the first Keyframe and use the ● button (Add/Edit Keyframe) to create that first Keyframe. Now, your ◄●► buttons should be active in the Audio Track's Header to navigate between Keyframes and Add/Edit existing Keyframes. This Image shows those components in action:

PrE11_Audio_Keyframes.png

Hope that helps and gets the ◄●►buttons active in the Audio Track Header.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Good morning.

Just to point out...

My blog post already referenced details with graphics the Premiere Elements 11 Volume keyframes from the rubberband and Applied Effects perspectives. The working of the Go to Previous, Add/Remove Keyframe, and Go to Next follow into line once the steps understood as I tried to re-enforce in my post 14.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-video-and-audio-track-rubberband.html

ATR

• 17. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thanks. I am just trying to get those Keyframe buttons active for Jeff.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks.

Generalization...the Go to Previous, Add/Remove Keyframe, and Go to Next buttons can be sticky at times. But a "repeat nudge" should take care of that if you are faster than the program.

Looking forward to Jeff's posting of Mission Accomplished after he has gone through all the thread helpful advice.

ATR

• 19. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                              CP User Level 1

Hunt and ATR,

This part of my mission is a success and I can't thank you both enough.  I forgot about the control key and I was able to use that in the absence of the function keys for now.  You have been beyond patient and helpfull.  My daugther thanks you because now I understand a little better PE11.

I now move onto the fine tuning of the pictures.  I know where to go if I have any other questions.  Thank you so much!!!!!!

Jeff

• 20. Re: Adjusting Volume at beginning and end of audio
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Very pleased to learn of your success. Great job.

The great perk of Premiere Elements is the creation of such wonderful family treasures.

Continued to success and best wishes to you and your daughter and family.

ATR