34 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 7:36 AM by Jonathan2735

Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works

Jonathan2735

I need to burn my video projects to DVD Folders in both PAL and NTSC formats.    I succesfully did this with twise, but after further editting of my video, I can no longer succesfully burn my project to Folder using the NTSC format!

Everything looks fine, the computer works through the video taking about 2 hours to burn, then it says completed.  But when I try to open the Folder Location - The file is just not there!

I have searched all other folders, but it just is not there!     No error messsages were displayed either.

I am using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 pro 64 bit, there is plenty of free disc space.

What is wrong?

• 1. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try doing a Save As and save your project under a different name, in a new location (ideally alone inside a new folder). This will keep your newly-transcoded files from bumping into your old.

You should be able to then burn your DVD files to a folder.

BTW, it's not necessary to create both an NTSC and PAL version of your disc. Virtually all PAL DVD players are capable of playing
          NTSC discs also.

• 2. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan2735

What is missing for NTSC? The whole saved burn to folder that contains the OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder or do you find the save folder, but empty, OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS Folder missing?

If you do the burn to disc DVD (NTSC) does that work?

Can we assume that you are taking the exact project Timeline, first burn to folder with NTSC (4.7 GB) and after that burn to folder with PAL (4.7 GB)? What is your preset, standard or widescreen? When in the burn dialog, what does it say for Space Required and Bitrate?

Please try deleting the settings file found in the path (Windows 7 64 bit)....

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not resolve the issue, then try deleting the whole 11 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active.

Let us start here before we go into the Q&A on other aspects of the Premiere Elements workflow and computer environment.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
              Jonathan2735 Level 1

The whole Folder is missing – I have tried this four times now!  4Gb of folder just vanished!

• 4. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan2735

Thanks for the information.

What are you setting as the save location for the burn to folder process?

ATR

• 5. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                  Jonathan2735 Level 1

Thanks,

I am been saving to:  My Video>DVD files>

using file names either:  “Talk #1 PAL”   or    “Talk #1 NTSC”

I have just deleted the    “Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs”    file that you suggested, but we will need to wait 2 hours to see whether a new burn is successfully saved.

Thanks again for your help.

• 6. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                    Jonathan2735 Level 1

Thanks, but I did try doing save-as to a new name, keeping the original folder location for the two     .prel     files, but it produced the same result – no output file for the NTSC!

I want to produce my video projects in both PAL and NTSC because one is for UK and Europe, the other is for USA.

Actually I have got your Muvipix book on PE11 and use that as my main guide – thanks.

• 7. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                      Jonathan2735 Level 1

Just completed another 2 hour burn with the presets set to NTSC widescreen; The message box said "Burn Complete!" with a green tick, so I went to windows explorer and searched for my new folder - but as before - nothing was there!

What else could be blocking it?

• 8. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan2735

I have never seen it to be a factor before, nonetheless I went to Folder Options  and checked out burn to folder with and without Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" active. Did not make a difference.

Have you restarted the computer after the burn complete message to see if the restart had any impact of finding the burn to folder Folder?

What happens if you change the save location of the NTSC burn to folder 4.7 GB? Let us save to Documents, just documents, no folder established for it ahead of time. And, this time go with the default name which should show numbers. Make sure to record the number before the export.

But, other questions...can you do a burn to disc DVD with your computer environment? Does that work?

Instead of Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to folder 4.7 GB for this specific project, take this very same Timeline and export it Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with the preset DV NTSC Widescreen. Set the Save In field for the same Video location as you have been using for burn to folder. Can you find the DV AVI Widescreen that is exported and saved to the computer hard drive (Videos)?

Look in the Adobe Folder for pile ups of encoding files, preview files, conformed audio. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and hit Clean in the Media Cache Database (.mcdb - conformed video files).

If all fails, then go for a complete deactivation with the program Help Menu/Deactivate, close the program, uninstall via usual Control Panel Route, ccleaner, reinstall.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                          Jonathan2735 Level 1

Just tried restarting the computer, but just the same problem persists.

I don’t know whether P.E. is generating the output file but somehow it is hidden, or, if it isn’t producing the output file at all?

When I tried it yesterday; I noticed that “My Documents” was last modified at the same time as I tried to burn the folder, but no such folder was showing inside ‘My Documents’!

Could this be a corrupted program file?

Is there some way of using Disc Check?

Thanks

• 10. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan2735

Did you ever try changing the Save In location for burn to folder to something else other than the Video location?

Were you able to export and save this Timeline to a NTSC DV AVI Widescreen file that you could locate at the Save In location that you designated? I think that important to do right now. It should be quick.

I know that you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file without success. Did you try to delete the whole 11 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists? In this chain of thinking, if all that did not work, then uninstall/reinstall would be the next step (deactivate the program from its Help Menu/Deactivate, close out of there, uninstall via Control Panel route, ccleaner, reinstall).

If you want to do a computer Disc Check...Right click the Local Disc C drive, then select Properties, then select Tools Tab in the Local Disk Properties dialog. Under the Tools Tab is the Error checking option.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                              Jonathan2735 Level 1

OK, I have now successfully exported my video timeline to:   Computer   /   AVI   /   “DV NTSC Widescreen”    and saved the file simply in: User\Documents  (NOT ‘My Video’ as before).  P.E. worked just as it should; so what might be the reason why it won’t successfully export to DVD Folder in NTSC format?

Up to now, I have only deleted the actual ‘Prefs’ file, not the whole folder – so should I now proceed to do that?

Thanks

• 12. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                nealeh Level 5

On my Windows 7 system there are two folders associated with 'Videos' (My Videos and Public Videos). If it is the same on your system maybe you are looking in the wrong one:

1.jpg

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan2735

Thanks for the update.

If possible, try that Timeline export to DV AVI specifically to the same location as the burn to folder one...just in case.

Also, before that, what you might try now is taking that DV AVI into a new project with the project preset of NTSC DV Standard and try using the burn to folder on that.

Yes, if the burn to folder probably continues to exist, try the deletion of the whole folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

What I am trying to sort out is a problem with the saving process versus a corrupt file in NTSC burning process.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan2735

I did not see nealeh post until I had posted my post (13).

The nealeh post would support what I have already suggested in post 13

If possible, try that Timeline export to DV AVI specifically to the same location as the burn to folder one...just in case.

I was and am not suspecting that is the case (My Videos vs Public Videos) since your comparison is between NTSC and PAL and PAL burn to folder is being found as you direct each to the same location. Further, even if you set up the Save In from Browse for folder/selecting the unopened My Video Folder, the burn to folder Folder would go to Windows Explorer My Videos and not Public Videos. That is what I found.

Note: Browse to Folder with My Videos and the burn dialog showing the Folder location for that choice as "C:\Users\Owner\Videos

MyVideos.JPG

Consider that In Windows 7 64 bit, Windows Explorer, I see....

video plus.JPG

But, in Windows 7 64 bit, actual Browse for folder for Save In of burn dialog, you see unopened folder as My Videos.  See screenshot above. The opened My VIdeos folder in the Browse For Folder looked like this after a burn to folder, no Public Videos Folder in sight.

browse again.JPG

So, if you do find your burn to folder Folder (NTSC) in Windows Explorer Videos/Public Videos, please detail how you did that in view of the fact that your PAL Folder from burn to folder was found.

ATR

• 15. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                      Jonathan2735 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions; but I have searched all through Documents, Pictures, Music and Video – both public and private – and can’t find the NTSC version anywhere – I have now tried 4 times to export this file, at 2 hours per attempt (numbering each file name, just in case they do appear somewhere unexpected)  I have also searched through the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 folders without success.

I find the desired Folder within ‘My Videos’ (to save DVDs waiting to be burned to disk) simply by using the Publish+Share, Disc option; then “Folder Location – Browse...” button, then by scrolling to “Libraries” choosing “Videos” then “My Videos” then my "DVD burning folder.    ...even though I am using Windows 7, my thinking is still Windows 98 !!

I have just had the brainwave to use another very short video instead, and use that to quickly test progressively changing the settings from the AVI   /   DV NTSC Widescreen which we know works, to find out where exactly it fails.

Will post again when done.

Thanks again for all your input

• 16. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                        Jonathan2735 Level 1

Well this gets more and more mysterious!

I just created a new test video project, only 8 seconds long!

I successfully exported to my DVD burning folder used before, but as an AVI  /  DV NTSC Widescreen.

I then tried burning this new file to "DVD Folder" with  NTSC presets (again to the said same folder as before) - success

I then tried burning it as PAL - success

Then NTSC again - success

I alternated the burn 5 times (11 burns in total) between PAL and NTSC, all with complete success and all showing in WIndows Explorer!

So my software works fine, but what can be the reason I can't burn the proper project to NTSC any more? (timeline 76 minutes)  ...Where can the corruption be?

• 17. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jonathan2735

Just this...at this very moment, if you were to take your 76 minutes Timeline to PAL burn to folder (4.7 GB), are you still able to find that saved folder with its VIDEO_TS Folder?

ATR

• 18. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                            Jonathan2735 Level 1

Yes, I previously tried burning another copy in PAL to the same folder, and that worked normaly. The two subfolders being:

OpenDVD

Video_TS

Could it be that somehow my  "prel"  file for this Timeline has been corrupted?  ...But then why does "avi" export in NTSC still work?

• 19. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jonathan2735

I am going to explore to see if I can find the file responsible for the NTSC burn to folder.

But, recap time.

Please remind me....have you tried taking the NTSC DV AVI widescreen file that you exported your Timeline to, opened a new Premiere Elements NTSC DV Widescreen project, imported that NTSC DV AVI widescreen file into this project, and then did a NTSC burn to folder for that Timeline?

Thanks for the update.

ATR

• 21. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jonathan2735

It will be interesting to see if the NTSC DV AVI widescreen file (produced by Premiere Elements) can get you a found burn to folder as described previously.

Looking forward to that result when you get a chance.

I got detoured this afternoon. I will go back to looking for NTSC settings files shortly.

More later.

As always, thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 22. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                  Jonathan2735 Level 1

UPDATE - I have now used the  .avi  file with NTSC presets, to be the source media of a new Premiere Elements project, but I immediately noticed that the image quality was very poor!  This surprised me as the  .avi  file was 16GB for a 76 minute timeline!

I then exported the file as: Burn DVD to Folder, with NTSC presets again. The very fast speed that it burned also surprised me; only taking a few minutes whereas it took 2 hours to burn from the original  .prel  timeline (both PAL and NTSC each took 2 hours)

I then looked in Windows Explorer, and sure enough, Yes it was there; the Folder containing both OpenDVD and Video_TS subfolders.

So then just out of curiosity, I used my  'ImgBurn'  to burn an actual DVD disc - it worked fine but the quality of the video picture, like the preview in Premiere Elements was very poor!  The same sort of poor quality as the smallest resolution on YouTube.  ...For my purposes this poor quality output is just not usable, but the exercise does show what still works and what doesn't!

• 23. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

johnathan2735

Interesting results.

Typically there is video degradation with repeated re-encoding, but DV AVI is a preferred format since it undergoes this type of degradation to a far lesser extent and is a "native" format for Premiere Elements.

In what brought you here with the issue and as you have been doing in the troubleshooting, it is my understanding that you are doing your burn to folder from the same project.prel - the only difference being the choice of the preset in the burn dialog, either NTSC or PAL. But, what has been the project preset in this instance...a NTSC or PAL one?

If your project preset has been PAL, then....

a. Determine if you can roughly build the same original Timeline in a new project with a NTSC DV project preset.

b. Do the burn to folder NTSC.

Do you now get a successful burn to folder.

Still confirming but it looks like, from Task Manager/Processes

if you do a burn to disc, Adobe Premiere Elements DVD burn.exe process is active

Local Disc C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 11\32

and

if you do a burn to folder, the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe process is active

Local Disc C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 11\

Also, if time permits, could you make a copy of your project.prel (the one that results in no folder found NTSC) and, using the copy, cut the Timeline content down the middle. Then try the burn to folder on each half.

Thanks.

More later.

ATR

• 24. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                      Jonathan2735 Level 1

The project preset is AVCHD 1080p50 as this is the output from my camcorder.

Twice Premiere Elements outputted the files in both a PAL burn to Folder plus a NTSC burn to Folder, but now after some further refinement editing to the .prel timeline;  output to NTSC for Folder just disappears once completed, whereas PAL still works!

Today I tried saving my work to MP4-HD 720p50   ...the file size is slight smaller than a DVD of the same timeline, but playback quality is most impressive, better than either PAL or NTSC.

So with this inexplicable glitch with Premiere Elements on my computer, perhaps MP4 is the way around the problem?

I really wish to thank you and the others who have posted suggestions in response to this question.

Kind Regards, Jonathan

• 25. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

jonathan2735

Thanks for the continuing updates.

Sounding good, especially if the .mp4 is the answer to what you want to do and better than what you were trying to get from the problematic route.

For now we will assume that you have everything under control and that you are moving forward with your video projects.

Thanks for the opportunity to help. Please let us know if any further developments.

ATR

• 26. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                          Jonathan2735 Level 1

I can only conclude because we cannot fix it, that this problem is some sort of software clash on my particular computer environment, that only the Adobe developers could solve!

So perhaps the best course of action is indeed to output in a different format that is more universal, albeit a computer based format.

Many, many thanks for all your time and suggestions.

Jonathan

• 27. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                            pgauba Adobe Employee

Can you please let us know, what all changes you did in timeline after successful burn to NTSC and PAL?

• 28. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                              Jonathan2735 Level 1

I added some ‘scene markers’ that is all, because before it had no markers of any sort, and I later realised this was a deficiency for versatile play-back.  (This video does not have any menu, just opening on auto-play)

After that small alteration, I wanted to export the amended version, but with NTSC preset I could not do so.

• 29. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                                pgauba Adobe Employee

ok, I will try to repro the issue and will update.

• 30. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                                  Jonathan2735 Level 1

Thanks,

Today I did some different changes to another large video timeline, and then successfully exported that to DVD folder with NTSC precepts!  ...So I then tried yet again with the problem video (the 76 minute timeline) and again as before; it failed to produce any Folder with the ‘OpenDVD’ and ‘Video_TS’ sub-folders.

Also, the fact that I successfully burned those 8 second short test video DVDs, alternating several times between PAL and NTSC, so I suspect “something” has caused this particular (76 minute timeline) .prel file to have some sort of corruption to it; preventing it exporting as NTSC DVD.

• 31. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                                    pgauba Adobe Employee

Can you please try the same 76 minutes file with new project or you can try with File - save as option to save the project with different name and try with that.

• 32. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                                      Jonathan2735 Level 1

I have already tried doing ‘Save-as’ to a new file name, but it did not solve the problem.

I could start-over and build a new project using the original source media, but there is also an audio track and text roll added both at the beginning and at the end, with the main soundtrack adjusted using key-frames – so yes that is possible to start-over – but it is a lot of work!

Anyway the “MP4 –HD720p” is most impressive compared to DVD export, yet they are both similar file size. (MP4 slightly smaller)

Also, this fault does not affect export as AVCHD MP4

• 33. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jonathan,

Anyway the “MP4 –HD720p” is most impressive compared to DVD export, yet they are both similar file size. (MP4 slightly smaller)

The MP4 file uses the newer H.264 CODEC, which is quite good at both maintaining quality and compressing the file. DVD-Video uses the much older MPG2-DVD CODEC (well over a decade old now). The Bit-Rates of the two can be quite different too, with MPEG2-DVD being limited to a max combined Bit-Rate (Audio + Video) of 10 MB/sec., where MP4 does not impose such a low limit - Bit-Rate = quality (in most cases), and also file size.

If the ultimate output is DVD-Video, then there will be lower limits to the file's Bit-Rate, and its compression will not be up to the newer standard of H.264, used in BD (Blu-ray Disc) and other more modern formats.

The above, in no way, addresses the issues between NTSC and PAL, that you are experiencing, but just points out the differences between the MP4 (also at a larger Frame Size) and the DVD-Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 34. Re: Stopped burning DVD in NTSC format but PAL format still works
                                                                          Jonathan2735 Level 1

Thanks,

It is just a case of letting go gracefully to this “unsolved” problem!

My computer is dual-boot with Ubuntu (Linux) and from there I looked into my Windows 7 folders, I got to the .prel file for this 76 min timeline, and then tried to open it just to see what would happen...  It did open!  In a Firefox browser!  ...It is an XML file!  and gosh, I could see everything!  There are just so many lines of code with either  <true> or <false> as their attributes, I could well understand how some small software bug could set something wrong on a particular computer environment!  ...I think this problem is for the software developers to fix, but how do we report issues like this to Adobe?

Meanwhile, maybe MP4 in H.264 is my best available option!