10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 7:48 AM by Imumbo

from TIF to ICML?

Imumbo Level 1

Hi

I need to make som changes in an old text-layout, originally made with Page Maker around 2002, later converted to InDesign. The text contains some scanned letters, since that particular font does not exist digitally.

I have the originally scanned letters as .tif´s, and I have made some new scans, using same solution.

In the .indd-file (the layout) the original letters all appear as .icml.

How do I treat the .tif´s so I can edit colour, size etc. in the .indd-file.

And how are the .tif´s changed into .icml??

(Photoshop may have been involved?)

I did make some jpg-images to illustrate the problem - is it possible to show images in this forum, and how?

• 1. Re: from TIF to ICML?
          Ellis home Level 4

Use the photo icon to insert images. Detailed instructions here: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2324

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: from TIF to ICML?
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't edit colour of raster images in InDesign unless the images are grayscale, you can apply a colour overlay that makes it act like a duotone.

http://blog.gilbertconsulting.com/2007/04/adding-color-to-grayscale-images-in.html

As for ICML - that's an Incopy format.

You can go ahead and replace your images with your new images.

But if there's heavy colour manipulation required you'll need Photoshop or other raster image editor.

• 4. Re: from TIF to ICML?
              Imumbo Level 1

Sorry, an error occured:

Questions are:

1) How to get from the black .TIF in fig. 1. to the coloured .ICML in fig. 3 (not fig. 2!!! ).?

• 5. Re: from TIF to ICML?
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you explain to us why you need to make ICML? Do you know what it is? Are you in a workflow where you expect to assign small parts of your project to writers using InCopy?  Eugene mentioned InCopy but you are acting as if you are a new InDesign operator who has been given the instruction "Match this!" but you have no idea what you're doing. However, I can see from your post history that you are not clueless at all! So can you tell us why you so desperately need to make ICMLs of of placed TIFFs? Moreover, can you explain generally what you're trying to do? Eugene told you how to colorize a one-bit tiff, if that's all you need.

My gut feeling is that you're seeing a very low-res preview of the rasterized hyphen.

• 6. Re: from TIF to ICML?
                  Imumbo Level 1

Thanks for the answer! Most of your assumptions are spot on, no I´m not a CS6 or InDesign expert, but I use to find my way through these great programmes intuitively and by hard study. Here however, I hit some unknown territory. I don´t expect anybody else to work with this using InCopy, the case is that I need to make some changes in a layout, that was originally made by someone else, who is out of reach. New letters and changing colour to some letters, that´s the "simple" task, and I´m just a bit surprised why I suddenly find it difficult to handle the newly inserted letters.

No, I´m not particularly eager to have icml´s, but curious as to why and how the existing letters are icml.

I´ll check if it´s a the low-res preview.

• 7. Re: from TIF to ICML?
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are two reasons I can think of that ICML can be used -but only one of 'em applies here. What you'd ordinarily do is, as a designer, "check out" stories to writers using InCopy. They could write copy to fit in InCopy (hence the name - it's a great tool for newspapers and magazines and similar write-copy-to-fit workflows) and you the designer could check 'em back in. But one-letter stories are unlikely copy-fitting tasks for writers so probably they're being used here as either a clever hack, or a mistake.

The clever hack would be this: Let's say that you have a repeating fancy drop-cap letter in your document. Your client keeps on asking for different fonts. It's getting to the point that you are really tired of manually changing the drop-cap eighty times a day when the client says "No, I don't like that font, pick another one." So what you can do is make the drop-cap once, make an InCopy assignment out of it, and then place that ICML seventy-nine times. That way, when you update the source of the assignemnt, all of the other links update automatically. (I've only used this trick once, and it was years ago, so my description may be a bit off.) So probably what happened was that someone made the drop-cap, made the ICML links, and then rasterized the drop-cap (in Photoshop?) and then replaced the source. Or maybe the source is somewhere off in the pasteboard?

Who knows? Do you need to use that trick? You say that you want to do this:

How do I treat the .tif´s so I can edit colour, size etc. in the .indd-file.

And how are the .tif´s changed into .icml??

The first part is to save the image in the correct format, with the correct absence of transparency, in Photoshop. (Peter's message at the end of that thread is the important one.) If you do that, then you can select it with the Direct Select tool (the white arrow) in InDesign and assign swatches to it to change the color. You'd change its size the way you'd change the size of any image.

If you can't find the source of the ICMLs then I'd use the Links panel to select all of the ICMLs at once (with shift-select to grab many at once) and then click the little flyout button and choose Relink... to relink all of those files to one tiff that I'd made into a one-bit tiff in Photoshop. I think that would work.

• 8. Re: from TIF to ICML?
                      Imumbo Level 1

Hi, and thanks again for these thoughts. It´s getting late here in Denmark and I will be getting back to this tread, when I´ve looked into the matter in the light of these considerations.

One small detail I have clear: all the tif-letters inserted are 1 bit tif´s.

• 9. Re: from TIF to ICML?
                        Imumbo Level 1

Hi

After a lot of studies that seemed to find no limits, I found your advice again from Gilbert, and that solved my problem. There seems to no difference between the already inserted icml´s and the newly inserted tif regarding the changing the colour.

• 10. Re: from TIF to ICML?
                          Imumbo Level 1

Hi Joel, thank you so much for your instructive answers. I assume your second option is the right one, it must have been a kind of mistake that the letters turned into icml´s. Since the colouring of an inserted tif is so easy as Gilbert explains in the link, given by Eugene, I see no reason to choose the 'clever hack'.

Although it took me awhile to see the light, your thoughts have been very helpfull!!