Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't print from Photoshop CS6

Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an Intel Mac running OSX 10.8.4 and Photoshop stopped printing to my Brother HL-5050 laser printer. No error messages, no dialogue boxes, it simply prints a blank sheet of paper. I can print from Acrobat, Pages, Word, and Illustrator, but not PS. I tried the usual suspects-trashed the prefs, restarted, replaced the Brother printer drivers, but nothing works.

However, If I switch to a different login ID, I can print normally. That, I assume, means that there's some combination of parts and conditions in my user preferences that are causing the problem, so what are my options? What is the simplest way to get around this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Hi Birk,

Wait, did you try just clearing your Photoshop preferences? If you haven't I'd do that first since that's easiest:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/07/photoshop-basic-troubleshooting-steps-to-fix-most-issues.html#Preferences

If that doesn't allow you to print, I'd confirm that a new Admin user account allows you to print:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/07/photoshop-basic-troubleshooting-steps-to-fix-most-issues.html#Permissions

If that does allow you to print, you can try and r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to Photoshop Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2013 Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update: No one could come up with a solution, so I talked to CC Help in Bangalore. It worked, but it was drastic-I had to re-download and install a new version of PS. I got a new CS6 and PS CC as well.  I have no idea why or how, but I guess the app was corrupted past saving. I'm back in business after a couple hours reinstalling stuff, but it was either that or re-establish a new user ID and all that entails. Take your pick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update: Same thing now happens with PS CC. What the heck is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say new user ID, do you mean a different user account in OS X? If so, your problem is permissions related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't get that far. The Adobe tech had me just download & install new versions of PS CC and PS CS6. It took time, but it was easier than establishing a new user ID. By "establishing a new..." I'm referring to the process of abandoning my current user account and starting a new one-new desktop, new dock, new everything. All in an attempt to leave behind whatever user-based peculiarities (preferences? app conflicts?) were causing the problem. I was forced to do that (or so I thought) back in the early days of OSX when my PowerPC Mac was giving me Kernal panics.

Permissions related? You think I could clear it up with a permissions cleanup? I haven't tried that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But wait-there's more: Doing a permissions rebuild is a good idea. How do I do it without a hardcopy DVD to access Disk Utility to rebuild the permissions? Can it be done within the Mac OS? Obviously, it's been a while since i did one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Birk,

Wait, did you try just clearing your Photoshop preferences? If you haven't I'd do that first since that's easiest:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/07/photoshop-basic-troubleshooting-steps-to-fix-most-issues.h...

If that doesn't allow you to print, I'd confirm that a new Admin user account allows you to print:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/07/photoshop-basic-troubleshooting-steps-to-fix-most-issues.h...

If that does allow you to print, you can try and repair permissions, but as I note in the link above, it's not always bulletproof way to correct permissions. You may just need to bite the bullet and create a new user account if Repair Permissions doesn't correct it.

Repair Permissions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mr. Tranberry:

You got it right. Fixing the permissions seems to have done it. I had tried all the low-hanging fruit-trash the prefs, zap the PRAM, etc., none of which worked. And I had already established that I could print using a dummy User account; just not my own account. So I took the time to first run Disk Utility to rebuild permissions, then I downloaded and set up the Recovery HD and did a Disk Repair as well. Something in there worked, and now I can print from Photoshop again. Thanks for catching the New User-Permissions connection and giving me that tip. It worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No prob. Thanks for closing the loop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines