2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2013 11:38 PM by Manan Joshi

Need help exporting multiple individual PDF files out of Indesign CC

TheOtherMcCoy01

I work for a monthly publication and we send our files to the press at the end of the month. There are around 190+ pages that need to be exported as individual PDF's and each PDF needs to be labled as their correct page number. Since we often are backed up against the wall at our deadline, we really need a way to export all these files at one time. Is there a way to export multiple PDF files at one time in Indesign CC?

• 1. Re: Need help exporting multiple individual PDF files out of Indesign CC
          tobias.wantzen Level 1

You could script InDesign to export each page as individual PDF with specific export presets and labeled with correct page number.

But you could also use Acrobat Pro for this task (sorry for the certainly wrong translation of the Acrobat UI – I use a german version ...):

1. Export the whole publication as 1 PDF file (pp. 1-190).
          2. Open it in Acrobat Pro and choose »Tools › Extract Pages«.
          3. Type 1 to 190 and check the box »extract pages as single pages«, choose the location where to extract to and acrobat automatically numbers your new PDFs sequentially from 1 to x. (Caution: it doesn’t take the correct page number, but numbers sequentially, so it is important to have a PDF from pp. 1-190 in the correct order.)

So with this (as mentioned – sorry for German ):

Bildschirmfoto1.png

You’ll get this:

Bildschirmfoto2.png

Tobias

• 2. Re: Need help exporting multiple individual PDF files out of Indesign CC
            Manan Joshi Level 4

A sample script to achieve what you desire

var doc = app.activeDocument;

var pageCount = doc.pages.length;

var exportPath = "c:\\abc\\";   //Replace with the output folder path

var pdfPreset = app.pdfExportPresets.itemByName ("[Smallest File Size]") //Use the name pf pdf preset you want

var pr = app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange

for(var i = 1; i <= pageCount; i ++)

{

app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = i.toString();

doc.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, exportPath + i + ".pdf", false, pdfPreset)

}

app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = pr; //Restore the preferences