7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 4:13 AM by Peter Spier

Can you export font data ( weight, size, colour etc,) from a an Indesign document?

rubyamber

I have a layered indesign document that conatains about 90 layers. Each layer has the same copy but the font and font size and colour  for each layer is different . I need to supply all afore mentioned infomtion and wanted to know if tere is a an easy was to do this?

• 1. Re: Can you export font data ( weight, size, colour etc,) from a an Indesign document?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you use styles? If so, then Dave Saunders wrote a script named TextStylesReporter.jsx that will probably help (pdsassoc.com/downloads/TSRCS2.zip), and there may be others.

• 2. Re: Can you export font data ( weight, size, colour etc,) from a an Indesign document?
            peter minneapolis Level 4

Dave's script is free, but it may not report all the style features you're looking for. dtptools.com Blatner Tools and Power Styles (an individual item of the Blatner Tools collection) are commercial InDesign plugins that report in detail. There's a free limited-time trial. With 90 layers, you may want to look at their layer-management plug-ins also.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

rubyamber wrote:

I have a layered indesign document that conatains about 90 layers. Each layer has the same copy but the font and font size and colour  for each layer is different . I need to supply all afore mentioned infomtion and wanted to know if tere is a an easy was to do this?

• 3. Re: Can you export font data ( weight, size, colour etc,) from a an Indesign document?
              rubyamber Level 1

thank you both Peters

I haven't  set the document up yet. Do you know thw best way to do this? Should I use styles? There are 8 diffent font styles on each  document

• 4. Re: Can you export font data ( weight, size, colour etc,) from a an Indesign document?

You should definitely be using both paragraph styles and character styles for a document like this, and no text should be locally formatted.

Paragraph styles can be based on other paragraph styles (which is probably a good idea for what you are describing) so that commonalities can be edited in one place, for example changing the font family. It's best not to base any style on [Basic Paragraph] because unexpected things can happen if you move text to a new document where the [Basic Paragraph] style has been edited.

Character styles are used to change the format of selected text within a paragraph, not an entire paragraph. They can be very specific, but in general the less they do the more useful they become, for eample creating a character style that only makes type bold, or only makes type red, or one that makes type green and italic, as they can be used in combination with any paragraph style and not change the typeface.

• 5. Re: Can you export font data ( weight, size, colour etc,) from a an Indesign document?
                  rubyamber Level 1

just a thoiugh is there a way of exporting the paragraph style data? I couild set up each layer as a seperate document with it's own paragraoh  style

• 6. Re: Can you export font data ( weight, size, colour etc,) from a an Indesign document?
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

InDesign can't export the style data; that's why you need the suggested script or plugins.

You may want to experiment with a few layers in a small document to see if your intended uses, like TOC and cross-references, require different paragraph style names on different layers. Even though you may consider each layer to be a sepapate document, InDesign will consider same-named styles on different layers to be the same style. Depending on what your intended uses are, it might be  easier to manage the multiple styles by naming styles on a given layer with the same identifier, like L1_head1, L2_head2, etc, where L# indicates the layer number. Or, you might want to use style groups named to identify each layer, like L1_pgroup, L2_pgroup, etc  to manage the styles. Perhaps someone who's got experience to your intended uses can give more information.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign style groups," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

rubyamber wrote:

just a thoiugh is there a way of exporting the paragraph style data? I couild set up each layer as a seperate document with it's own paragraoh  style

• 7. Re: Can you export font data ( weight, size, colour etc,) from a an Indesign document?

Well, the other Peter is correct, but maybe he isn't approaching this exactly right...

You could create new files, then use the Load Styles command from the paragraph styles panel menu to import selected styles from a document of your choice.