7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 6:22 AM by A.T. Romano

PE v10 with DVC-Pro codec makes pixelated screen

JohnW8142

I've bought a second hand Sony TRV355e camera to convert my old Video8 tapes to digital and download via firewire.  The camera has an internal analogue to digital converter.

I've used PE v10 to download the file.  However, during the file download and on playback I get a pixelated effect, especially noticeable on hard outlines.  It's like viewing a photo in very low definition. 

I then tried Windows Movie Maker to download from the camera and played the file in Windows Media Player and everything seems fine with no pixelation. 

I also imported the file downloaded to disk by Movie Maker into PE v10 and again the pixelation is visible.

The video information for the file is:-

Format: DV                           Commercial Name:  DVCPRO

Standard:  PAL                     Frame Rate: 25fps                    Display: 720x576 pixels (4:3)

Scan type: interlaced            Bottom field first

Bit rate mode:  Constant        Frame rate mode: Constant      

The Project settings I've used are DV PAL 25fps  All the parameters seem to match the file information.

I have seen a suggestion on the web  that Premiere Elements "doesn't deal well with DVCPRO" but could  find no more information.

Can anybody suggest a cause and solution please?

• 1. Re: PE v10 with DVC-Pro codec makes pixelated screen
          A.T. Romano Level 7

JohnW8142

So, I am a little reluctant to point to your use of DVC PRO as the reason for what you are describing as pixelation. In view of

on playback I get a pixelated effect, especially noticeable on hard outlines.

If you apply the Premiere Elements Anti-Flicker to the video (Properties Palette, Motion Panel expanded, and at the bottom of the Motion Panel is the Anti-Flicker slider to use for your video highlighted on the Timeline), does that help?

Is it possible to post a sample of this pixelation?

What is the file extension for your DV PRO compressed file?

ATR

• 2. Re: PE v10 with DVC-Pro codec makes pixelated screen
            JohnW8142 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply ATR.

I've used anti-flicker and it softens the effect when turned up to maximum by blurring the pixels but it still doesn't look right.

If I can further describe the problem:-

If I freeze the frame the  resolution is quite fine on screen and when I export to jpg it looks acceptable for a standard definition photo. 

However, as soon as I run the film again it's as though the resolution reduces by 4.  That is every 4 pixels blend together into 1 resulting in a jagged edge on the outlines. 

The compressed file is a .AVI.

I'll look at posting an example to Youtube - I assume that's the best way to let you see it?

John

• 3. Re: PE v10 with DVC-Pro codec makes pixelated screen
              A.T. Romano Level 7

John,

An example of the problem via a link to the YouTube video sample for viewing sounds like a good idea. If that does not help, we might explore you posting a sample that can be downloaded and tested by us..

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE v10 with DVC-Pro codec makes pixelated screen
                JohnW8142 Level 1

Hi ATR.   Well I've uploaded two copies of the clip to Youtube, one direct from the .avi file and one an edit via APE10.  There was no difference in quality when viewing on Youtube, so whatever is causing the pixelation is contained within APE. 

Following up on this idea I burned a DVD of the edited clip from within APE which, played on a DVD player, again shows no pixelation.

So in fact the only place the problem shows up is if viewing a clip from within APE10.  I can live with this as I would save any edited version to DVD or blu-ray for final storage and playback.  In terms of using the edit effects for improving the video quality it probably doesn't impact much on this process if you just ignore the jagged edges on playback (the stills can be used anyway to judge when you've got the best edited version quality).

I suppose it's a useful piece of information for anyone like me trying to convert old analogue film and edit it in APE who may think the video is being in some way deteriorated in the process.

I think I'm ok with this now but it would of course still be interesting to know why it happens.

Thanks again for your help.

John

• 5. Re: PE v10 with DVC-Pro codec makes pixelated screen
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Thanks for the update, especially the good news part about the successful exports with good quality.

As for what is happening at the preview level - for now I am assuming that your Premiere Elements 10 is on Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit.

a. if you have not already, please make sure that your video card driver is up to date according to the manufacturer of the video card. If it is, the try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file which is found in the path

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

To see all of the path, please be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drivers active.

Another possibility is deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in the path

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Same comment about Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drivers.

An alternative to deleting just the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file is deletion of the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs exists.

And, you might want to check the location of the previews files to make sure that there is enough free space there and no pile ups. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, Video Previews.

Also, if you right click the Edit Mode Monitor and select Magnification, is the set for "Fit"?

Please review the above and then let us know if any worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE v10 with DVC-Pro codec makes pixelated screen
                    JohnW8142 Level 1

Hi ATR

Success!  I tried all the things you suggested and as a by-product of one of

your ideas stumbled on the solution!

You said to right click the Edit Mode Monitor and select Magnification to

see if it was set to "Fit".  It was.

However, I noticed also on the right click an option for "playback quality".

The options were "Automatic" or  "Highest".

I changed it to "Highest" and the edges became defined in a better

resolution, equivalent to that in a still frame.

So that's the solution!

Many thanks again  - I really appreciated all your help.  Hopefully this may

be of use to anyone else with a similar issue.

Cheers John

• 7. Re: PE v10 with DVC-Pro codec makes pixelated screen
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Great, great news, and great, great troubleshooting with the Playback Quality feature.

The follow up is helpful and much appreciated.

Continued success.

ATR