17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2006 5:23 PM by Newsgroup_User

Director and Flash sync problem

Dead_Hampster Level 1
      Hi all, I need some help urgently if possible, I am working on a project where we have allot of flash produced work which is then embedded into a Director.exe for an interactive CD. We have produced the content for this CD in-house but the Director interface has been produced by an external contractor. The problem we are having is for some reason when we place the swf file into the Director interface the audio in the flash work goes out of sync with the animations and the animations tend to become distorted (jittery) if too much animation takes place. I have spoken with the designer of the Director work and he has been no help what so ever saying it is a Flash problem. Sadly there is alto of Flash work and little time to start making changes to the script if it is a different problem altogether. Can anyone shed any light on what might be going wrong and make any suggestions as to how we can avoid wasting our time re-working the flash work? If you need any more details on this issue please don't hesitate to ask. :-)
        • 1. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
          Level 7
          Dead Hampster wrote:

> Hi all, I need some help urgently if possible, I am working on a project where
          > we have allot of flash produced work which is then embedded into a Director.exe
          > for an interactive CD...

Hi,

How long (correct timing) is the Flash animation? What frame rate is the Falsh
          animation? Is the audio and animation embedded into the swf or is the audio in
          Director? What's the pixel proportions of te swf? How big - file size, is the swf?

The options to help synchronsiation of the swf -
          * Have the swf Direct To Stage
          * Preload the swf

Let me know the answers to my questions and may be able to suggest other things.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 2. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
            Dead_Hampster Level 1
            Hi, I have got the Flash at a frame rate of 24fps, the size of the flash is 800 by 600px and 10Mb in size, the audio is embedded into the flash via actionscript (see below)

onClipEvent (load){
            simonSound = new Sound(this);
            simonSound.attachSound("audio");
            simonSound.start(0,1);
            }

I have also used a pause script in the flash work to sync the anudio to the animations. (see below)

//Frame1
            stop();
            function callback() {
            nextFrame();
            }
            intervalID = setInterval(callback, 30000);
            //1sec / 1000
            //1min / 60000

//Frame2
            stop();
            clearInterval( intervalID );
            gotoAndPlay(53); //next frame

Have been looking into this sort of problem and it might be linked to a memory leakage problem with Director given it is trying to process alot of data. One idea is to break up the flash into eight sections which will change the size to about 1.5Mb each with audio. Another is to try a pre-loader as you have suggested. have sent the fla to the developer of the director to check the memory leakage probelm.
            • 3. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
              Level 7
              Hi again,

Both Director and Flash are frame based animation. This means that you may set the
              frame rate to say 24fps but if the computer can't handle that, it will drop the
              frame rate so play the animation over a longer period and go out of synch with the
              sound. If you want tight synchronsiation of audio and animation, it's best to make
              it into a digital video. Video is time based so if a computer can't play the video
              animation at 24 fps, it will drop frames so that the time length is still the same
              and the synchronsation is maintained.

So, advice for trying to synch Director / Flash frame animation to sound -
              * Keep the animations short
              * Best if the animation is slightly shorter than the sound, so perhaps animation
              can pause at end before going to the next section. Then you have a buffer in case
              the animation plays a bit slower on some computers.
              * Preloading animation and sound means that you may avoid a RAM issue - animation
              pausing midway.
              * Minimise CPU overhead - don't have lots of other things on screen while animation
              is playing. Minimise amount of transparencies. If the CPU is coping OK, your
              specified frame rate is maintained. If CPU is overloaded, frame rate drops.

regards
              Dean

• 4. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                Level 7
                Mr. Hampter:

We use both Flash and Director to deliver many long animations,
                presentations, etc. that are timed to audio. Here are some of our "golden
                rules":

- Flash does not have a way to "lock" audio to graphics like video. You have
                to "hand time" it. Split you audio from Flash, and split up critical
                segments into separate SWF's.
                - Bring the audio (with markers added from something like Sound Forge") into
                Director, along with the audio clips.
                - Use the tempo channel of Director to load or play SWF's when the marker
                points are reached in Director, or hold the playhead until the SWF finishes.

The only way to garantee audio/video lock in Flash is to use Flash 8 and
                FLV's converted to SWF. However, Director MX 2004 cannot play these yet (Can
                you hear me, Adobe?)!!

Eric
                "Dead Hampster" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:eat9ke$qrj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi, I have got the Flash at a frame rate of 24fps, the size of the flash
                > is 800
                > by 600px and 10Mb in size, the audio is embedded into the flash via
                > actionscript (see below)
                >
                > onClipEvent (load){
                > simonSound = new Sound(this);
                > simonSound.attachSound("audio");
                > simonSound.start(0,1);
                > }
                >
                > I have also used a pause script in the flash work to sync the anudio to
                > the
                > animations. (see below)
                >
                > //Frame1
                > stop();
                > function callback() {
                > nextFrame();
                > }
                > intervalID = setInterval(callback, 30000);
                > //1sec / 1000
                > //1min / 60000
                >
                > //Frame2
                > stop();
                > clearInterval( intervalID );
                > gotoAndPlay(53); //next frame
                >
                > Have been looking into this sort of problem and it might be linked to a
                > memory
                > leakage problem with Director given it is trying to process alot of data.
                > One
                > idea is to break up the flash into eight sections which will change the
                > size to
                > about 1.5Mb each with audio. Another is to try a pre-loader as you have
                > suggested. have sent the fla to the developer of the director to check the
                > memory leakage probelm.
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                  Level 7
                  > The only way to garantee audio/video lock in Flash is to use Flash 8 and
                  > FLV's converted to SWF. However, Director MX 2004 cannot play these yet (Can
                  > you hear me, Adobe?)!!

Perhaps you should visit < http://www.adobe.com/support/director/> more
                  often!
                  • 6. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                    Level 7
                    I'm not quite understanding how converting an flv to an swf improves the
                    sync. There is no inherent "synchness" to either Flash video file type.
                    The only difference is that an flv can be streamed, unlike .swf video
                    files.

This has nothing to do with a file's ability to play back correctly on
                    the user's computer. Maybe I'm missing something, but my copy of Flash 8
                    doesn't show me any option for creating an flv or swf video file that
                    allows me to lock the video to the audio, or in any way synch the audio
                    and video. My copy of Squeeze doesn't show me any option either.

--
                    Rob
                    _______
                    Rob Dillon
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    http://www.ddg-designs.com
                    412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
                    • 7. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                      Level 7
                      An FLV is a true "interleaved" video format. SWF is not. Basically, FLV's
                      saved out as a SWF lets the SWF play video.

Eric
                      "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com> wrote in
                      message news:rob-EB0304.07341407082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > I'm not quite understanding how converting an flv to an swf improves the
                      > sync. There is no inherent "synchness" to either Flash video file type.
                      > The only difference is that an flv can be streamed, unlike .swf video
                      > files.
                      >
                      > This has nothing to do with a file's ability to play back correctly on
                      > the user's computer. Maybe I'm missing something, but my copy of Flash 8
                      > doesn't show me any option for creating an flv or swf video file that
                      > allows me to lock the video to the audio, or in any way synch the audio
                      > and video. My copy of Squeeze doesn't show me any option either.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Rob
                      > _______
                      > Rob Dillon
                      > Adobe Community Expert
                      > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                      > 412-243-9119
                      >
                      > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/

• 8. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                        Level 7
                        OK, am I blind or missing something??

I have the updater, and SWF's calling FLV's encoded in Flash 8 do not work.
                        FLV's with Flash 7 (sorenson) are OK.

?>??

Eric
                        "Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:eb5dod$be0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >> The only way to garantee audio/video lock in Flash is to use Flash 8 and
                        >> FLV's converted to SWF. However, Director MX 2004 cannot play these yet
                        >> (Can you hear me, Adobe?)!!
                        >
                        > Perhaps you should visit < http://www.adobe.com/support/director/> more
                        > often!

• 9. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                          Level 7
                          > OK, am I blind or missing something??
                          >
                          > I have the updater

Um, did you (manually) install the elements included in the update -
                          especially the Flash Asset xtra?
                          • 10. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                            Level 7

Eric Regner wrote:

> OK, am I blind or missing something??
                            >
                            > I have the updater, and SWF's calling FLV's encoded in Flash 8 do not work.
                            > FLV's with Flash 7 (sorenson) are OK.
                            >
                            > ?>??
                            >

Eric,

The 10.1.1 update does support Flash 8 files. You need to install the 10.1
                            update before the 10.1.1 and the 10.1.1 update is done manually by overwriting
                            certain files with new ones. Info and downloads are at:
                            http://www.adobe.com/support/director/downloads.html

regards
                            Dean

• 11. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                              Level 7
                              Hi Eric,

I'm not able to find any reference to FLV files' interleaving and audio
                              synch. The only place that I can find any mention of FLV files and audio
                              synch is in a list of advantages of FLV progressive download over
                              embedded video.

The audio and video portions of FLV files are interleaved pretty much
                              the same as SWF video. Since FLVs allow for keyframing, it is possible
                              to maintain a better semblance of synch than with SWF files. But synch
                              is still a user processor matter, not the file type.

In article <eb8n3f$be9$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                              "Eric Regner" <eric@r2dm.com> wrote:

> An FLV is a true "interleaved" video format. SWF is not. Basically, FLV's
                              > saved out as a SWF lets the SWF play video.
                              >
                              > Eric
                              > "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com> wrote in
                              > message news:rob-EB0304.07341407082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > > I'm not quite understanding how converting an flv to an swf improves the
                              > > sync. There is no inherent "synchness" to either Flash video file type.
                              > > The only difference is that an flv can be streamed, unlike .swf video
                              > > files.
                              > >
                              > > This has nothing to do with a file's ability to play back correctly on
                              > > the user's computer. Maybe I'm missing something, but my copy of Flash 8
                              > > doesn't show me any option for creating an flv or swf video file that
                              > > allows me to lock the video to the audio, or in any way synch the audio
                              > > and video. My copy of Squeeze doesn't show me any option either.
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > Rob
                              > > _______
                              > > Rob Dillon
                              > > Adobe Community Expert
                              > > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                              > > 412-243-9119
                              > >
                              > > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/

--
                              Rob
                              _______
                              Rob Dillon
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              412-243-9119

• 12. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                                Level 7
                                So when a WMV, MOV or AVI is converted, Flash will split the tracks?

I have timing issues when playing SWF's, or locking graphics timing to
                                audio, but I have never had audio drift with FLV (or have I been lucky?)!

Eric
                                message news:rob-59281F.08164108082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Hi Eric,
                                >
                                > I'm not able to find any reference to FLV files' interleaving and audio
                                > synch. The only place that I can find any mention of FLV files and audio
                                > synch is in a list of advantages of FLV progressive download over
                                > embedded video.
                                >
                                > The audio and video portions of FLV files are interleaved pretty much
                                > the same as SWF video. Since FLVs allow for keyframing, it is possible
                                > to maintain a better semblance of synch than with SWF files. But synch
                                > is still a user processor matter, not the file type.
                                >
                                > In article <eb8n3f$be9$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                > "Eric Regner" <eric@r2dm.com> wrote:
                                >
                                >> An FLV is a true "interleaved" video format. SWF is not. Basically, FLV's
                                >> saved out as a SWF lets the SWF play video.
                                >>
                                >> Eric
                                >> "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com> wrote
                                >> in
                                >> message news:rob-EB0304.07341407082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                >> > I'm not quite understanding how converting an flv to an swf improves
                                >> > the
                                >> > sync. There is no inherent "synchness" to either Flash video file type.
                                >> > The only difference is that an flv can be streamed, unlike .swf video
                                >> > files.
                                >> >
                                >> > This has nothing to do with a file's ability to play back correctly on
                                >> > the user's computer. Maybe I'm missing something, but my copy of Flash
                                >> > 8
                                >> > doesn't show me any option for creating an flv or swf video file that
                                >> > allows me to lock the video to the audio, or in any way synch the audio
                                >> > and video. My copy of Squeeze doesn't show me any option either.
                                >> >
                                >> > --
                                >> > Rob
                                >> > _______
                                >> > Rob Dillon
                                >> > Adobe Community Expert
                                >> > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                                >> > 412-243-9119
                                >> >
                                >> > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
                                >
                                > --
                                > Rob
                                > _______
                                > Rob Dillon
                                > Adobe Community Expert
                                > 412-243-9119
                                >

• 13. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                                  Level 7
                                  THANKS!

I was blind...!

Eric
                                  "Dean Utian" <d.utian@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
                                  news:44D87B71.6E9365AB@unsw.edu.au...
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > Eric Regner wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> OK, am I blind or missing something??
                                  >>
                                  >> I have the updater, and SWF's calling FLV's encoded in Flash 8 do not
                                  >> work.
                                  >> FLV's with Flash 7 (sorenson) are OK.
                                  >>
                                  >> ?>??
                                  >>
                                  >
                                  > Eric,
                                  >
                                  > The 10.1.1 update does support Flash 8 files. You need to install the 10.1
                                  > update before the 10.1.1 and the 10.1.1 update is done manually by
                                  > overwriting
                                  > certain files with new ones. Info and downloads are at:
                                  > http://www.adobe.com/support/director/downloads.html
                                  >
                                  > regards
                                  > Dean
                                  >
                                  > Director Lecturer / Consultant
                                  > http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                                  > http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                                  >
                                  >

• 14. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                                    Level 7
                                    Probably. Or your FLVs are short. The longer the file the greater the
                                    opportunity for a loss of synch. It's not just FLVs it's any video file
                                    played on a computer.

In article <ebb0uq$b9f$1@forums.macromedia.com>,

> So when a WMV, MOV or AVI is converted, Flash will split the tracks?
                                    >
                                    > I have timing issues when playing SWF's, or locking graphics timing to
                                    > audio, but I have never had audio drift with FLV (or have I been lucky?)!
                                    >
                                    > Eric
                                    > message news:rob-59281F.08164108082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > > Hi Eric,
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm not able to find any reference to FLV files' interleaving and audio
                                    > > synch. The only place that I can find any mention of FLV files and audio
                                    > > synch is in a list of advantages of FLV progressive download over
                                    > > embedded video.
                                    > >
                                    > > The audio and video portions of FLV files are interleaved pretty much
                                    > > the same as SWF video. Since FLVs allow for keyframing, it is possible
                                    > > to maintain a better semblance of synch than with SWF files. But synch
                                    > > is still a user processor matter, not the file type.
                                    > >
                                    > > In article <eb8n3f$be9$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                    > > "Eric Regner" <eric@r2dm.com> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >> An FLV is a true "interleaved" video format. SWF is not. Basically, FLV's
                                    > >> saved out as a SWF lets the SWF play video.
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Eric
                                    > >> "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com> wrote
                                    > >> in
                                    > >> message news:rob-EB0304.07341407082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > >> > I'm not quite understanding how converting an flv to an swf improves
                                    > >> > the
                                    > >> > sync. There is no inherent "synchness" to either Flash video file type.
                                    > >> > The only difference is that an flv can be streamed, unlike .swf video
                                    > >> > files.
                                    > >> >
                                    > >> > This has nothing to do with a file's ability to play back correctly on
                                    > >> > the user's computer. Maybe I'm missing something, but my copy of Flash
                                    > >> > 8
                                    > >> > doesn't show me any option for creating an flv or swf video file that
                                    > >> > allows me to lock the video to the audio, or in any way synch the audio
                                    > >> > and video. My copy of Squeeze doesn't show me any option either.
                                    > >> >
                                    > >> > --
                                    > >> > Rob
                                    > >> > _______
                                    > >> > Rob Dillon
                                    > >> > Adobe Community Expert
                                    > >> > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                                    > >> > 412-243-9119
                                    > >> >
                                    > >> > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
                                    > >
                                    > > --
                                    > > Rob
                                    > > _______
                                    > > Rob Dillon
                                    > > 412-243-9119
                                    > >

--
                                    Rob
                                    _______
                                    Rob Dillon
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    412-243-9119

• 15. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                                      Level 7
                                      > Probably. Or your FLVs are short. The longer the file the greater the
                                      > opportunity for a loss of synch. It's not just FLVs it's any video file
                                      > played on a computer.

Really?

I have never seen a drift in my WMV, MOV or AVI's, even in 3 hour-long
                                      videos shot for clients. I have a long documentary that I had put together
                                      years ago, and see no drift or synch issues whatsoever. I is in 4 different
                                      formats, and can be plays perfectly on any PC or MAC. It's my understanding
                                      that these computer-based videos will drop frames (or some other method) to
                                      correct for any drift.

In contrast, slow web connections or older computers will allow SWF's (not
                                      video) to play back irratically: Never the same twice. Audio drift, while
                                      not noticable on 1 machine will be out of synch with seconds.

message news:rob-46AF86.22104508082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > Probably. Or your FLVs are short. The longer the file the greater the
                                      > opportunity for a loss of synch. It's not just FLVs it's any video file
                                      > played on a computer.
                                      >
                                      > In article <ebb0uq$b9f$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                      >
                                      >> So when a WMV, MOV or AVI is converted, Flash will split the tracks?
                                      >>
                                      >> I have timing issues when playing SWF's, or locking graphics timing to
                                      >> audio, but I have never had audio drift with FLV (or have I been lucky?)!
                                      >>
                                      >> Eric
                                      >> in
                                      >> message news:rob-59281F.08164108082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >> > Hi Eric,
                                      >> >
                                      >> > I'm not able to find any reference to FLV files' interleaving and audio
                                      >> > synch. The only place that I can find any mention of FLV files and
                                      >> > audio
                                      >> > synch is in a list of advantages of FLV progressive download over
                                      >> > embedded video.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > The audio and video portions of FLV files are interleaved pretty much
                                      >> > the same as SWF video. Since FLVs allow for keyframing, it is possible
                                      >> > to maintain a better semblance of synch than with SWF files. But synch
                                      >> > is still a user processor matter, not the file type.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > In article <eb8n3f$be9$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                      >> > "Eric Regner" <eric@r2dm.com> wrote:
                                      >> >
                                      >> >> An FLV is a true "interleaved" video format. SWF is not. Basically,
                                      >> >> FLV's
                                      >> >> saved out as a SWF lets the SWF play video.
                                      >> >>
                                      >> >> Eric
                                      >> >> "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com>
                                      >> >> wrote
                                      >> >> in
                                      >> >> message news:rob-EB0304.07341407082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >> >> > I'm not quite understanding how converting an flv to an swf improves
                                      >> >> > the
                                      >> >> > sync. There is no inherent "synchness" to either Flash video file
                                      >> >> > type.
                                      >> >> > The only difference is that an flv can be streamed, unlike .swf
                                      >> >> > video
                                      >> >> > files.
                                      >> >> >
                                      >> >> > This has nothing to do with a file's ability to play back correctly
                                      >> >> > on
                                      >> >> > the user's computer. Maybe I'm missing something, but my copy of
                                      >> >> > Flash
                                      >> >> > 8
                                      >> >> > doesn't show me any option for creating an flv or swf video file
                                      >> >> > that
                                      >> >> > allows me to lock the video to the audio, or in any way synch the
                                      >> >> > audio
                                      >> >> > and video. My copy of Squeeze doesn't show me any option either.
                                      >> >> >
                                      >> >> > --
                                      >> >> > Rob
                                      >> >> > _______
                                      >> >> > Rob Dillon
                                      >> >> > Adobe Community Expert
                                      >> >> > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                                      >> >> > 412-243-9119
                                      >> >> >
                                      >> >> > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
                                      >> >
                                      >> > --
                                      >> > Rob
                                      >> > _______
                                      >> > Rob Dillon
                                      >> > 412-243-9119
                                      >> >
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Rob
                                      > _______
                                      > Rob Dillon
                                      > Adobe Community Expert
                                      > 412-243-9119
                                      >

• 16. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                                        Level 7
                                        You may be misunderstanding what I'm saying. The audio and video tracks
                                        are compressed separately. Each has it's own data rate. In any
                                        sufficiently long file, usually of a single scene, it is possible for
                                        one or the other track to be decompressed at a slower than normal speed.
                                        This is usually because of the playback computer's inability to keep up
                                        with the audio or video data stream from the compressed file.

If you have a dv file that contains many short scenes with varying
                                        amounts of video and audio content over the duration of those scenes,
                                        then there is usually an opportunity for each track to play at more or
                                        less than it's correct rate and sound and look normal.

If an SWF plays poorly on any given computer, it would play poorly
                                        whether it was received from an internet connection or not. SWF video
                                        files have to download completely before they will begin to play.

In article <ebbkfq$2c2$1@forums.macromedia.com>,

> > Probably. Or your FLVs are short. The longer the file the greater the
                                        > > opportunity for a loss of synch. It's not just FLVs it's any video file
                                        > > played on a computer.
                                        >
                                        > Really?
                                        >
                                        > I have never seen a drift in my WMV, MOV or AVI's, even in 3 hour-long
                                        > videos shot for clients. I have a long documentary that I had put together
                                        > years ago, and see no drift or synch issues whatsoever. I is in 4 different
                                        > formats, and can be plays perfectly on any PC or MAC. It's my understanding
                                        > that these computer-based videos will drop frames (or some other method) to
                                        > correct for any drift.
                                        >
                                        > In contrast, slow web connections or older computers will allow SWF's (not
                                        > video) to play back irratically: Never the same twice. Audio drift, while
                                        > not noticable on 1 machine will be out of synch with seconds.
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        >
                                        > message news:rob-46AF86.22104508082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        > > Probably. Or your FLVs are short. The longer the file the greater the
                                        > > opportunity for a loss of synch. It's not just FLVs it's any video file
                                        > > played on a computer.
                                        > >
                                        > > In article <ebb0uq$b9f$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                        > > "Eric Regner" <eric@r2dm.com> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >> So when a WMV, MOV or AVI is converted, Flash will split the tracks?
                                        > >>
                                        > >> I have timing issues when playing SWF's, or locking graphics timing to
                                        > >> audio, but I have never had audio drift with FLV (or have I been lucky?)!
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Eric
                                        > >> "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com> wrote
                                        > >> in
                                        > >> message news:rob-59281F.08164108082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        > >> > Hi Eric,
                                        > >> >
                                        > >> > I'm not able to find any reference to FLV files' interleaving and audio
                                        > >> > synch. The only place that I can find any mention of FLV files and
                                        > >> > audio
                                        > >> > synch is in a list of advantages of FLV progressive download over
                                        > >> > embedded video.
                                        > >> >
                                        > >> > The audio and video portions of FLV files are interleaved pretty much
                                        > >> > the same as SWF video. Since FLVs allow for keyframing, it is possible
                                        > >> > to maintain a better semblance of synch than with SWF files. But synch
                                        > >> > is still a user processor matter, not the file type.
                                        > >> >
                                        > >> > In article <eb8n3f$be9$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                        > >> > "Eric Regner" <eric@r2dm.com> wrote:
                                        > >> >
                                        > >> >> An FLV is a true "interleaved" video format. SWF is not. Basically,
                                        > >> >> FLV's
                                        > >> >> saved out as a SWF lets the SWF play video.
                                        > >> >>
                                        > >> >> Eric
                                        > >> >> "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com>
                                        > >> >> wrote
                                        > >> >> in
                                        > >> >> message news:rob-EB0304.07341407082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        > >> >> > I'm not quite understanding how converting an flv to an swf improves
                                        > >> >> > the
                                        > >> >> > sync. There is no inherent "synchness" to either Flash video file
                                        > >> >> > type.
                                        > >> >> > The only difference is that an flv can be streamed, unlike .swf
                                        > >> >> > video
                                        > >> >> > files.
                                        > >> >> >
                                        > >> >> > This has nothing to do with a file's ability to play back correctly
                                        > >> >> > on
                                        > >> >> > the user's computer. Maybe I'm missing something, but my copy of
                                        > >> >> > Flash
                                        > >> >> > 8
                                        > >> >> > doesn't show me any option for creating an flv or swf video file
                                        > >> >> > that
                                        > >> >> > allows me to lock the video to the audio, or in any way synch the
                                        > >> >> > audio
                                        > >> >> > and video. My copy of Squeeze doesn't show me any option either.
                                        > >> >> >
                                        > >> >> > --
                                        > >> >> > Rob
                                        > >> >> > _______
                                        > >> >> > Rob Dillon
                                        > >> >> > Adobe Community Expert
                                        > >> >> > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                                        > >> >> > 412-243-9119
                                        > >> >> >
                                        > >> >> > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
                                        > >> >
                                        > >> > --
                                        > >> > Rob
                                        > >> > _______
                                        > >> > Rob Dillon
                                        > >> > Adobe Community Expert
                                        > >> > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                                        > >> > 412-243-9119
                                        > >> >
                                        > >> > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
                                        > >
                                        > > --
                                        > > Rob
                                        > > _______
                                        > > Rob Dillon
                                        > > 412-243-9119
                                        > >

--
                                        Rob
                                        _______
                                        Rob Dillon
                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                        412-243-9119

• 17. Re: Director and Flash sync problem
                                          Level 7
                                          I think I haven't explained myself. It's the FLV that is locked, and the SWF
                                          only points to the FLV, correct? Yes SWF's loose synch, but FLV's don't. I
                                          can insert an SWF that points to the FLV and it works great.

With WMV's or MPG's, just as FLV's I have to choose a data rate for audio
                                          and video separately, and have control individually. I assume FLV's are the
                                          same. I didn't explain myself well, as it is not the SWF publish that I
                                          change.

For example, I have found creating the FLV's with After Effects and then
                                          pulling them into Flash to create the timeline that points to the FLV allows
                                          me to import an SWF into a program like Director and have it play the FLV...
                                          locked audio and video, and reasonably sized to boot.

Eric
                                          message news:rob-79CC5A.13055209082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          > You may be misunderstanding what I'm saying. The audio and video tracks
                                          > are compressed separately. Each has it's own data rate. In any
                                          > sufficiently long file, usually of a single scene, it is possible for
                                          > one or the other track to be decompressed at a slower than normal speed.
                                          > This is usually because of the playback computer's inability to keep up
                                          > with the audio or video data stream from the compressed file.
                                          >
                                          > If you have a dv file that contains many short scenes with varying
                                          > amounts of video and audio content over the duration of those scenes,
                                          > then there is usually an opportunity for each track to play at more or
                                          > less than it's correct rate and sound and look normal.
                                          >
                                          > If an SWF plays poorly on any given computer, it would play poorly
                                          > whether it was received from an internet connection or not. SWF video
                                          > files have to download completely before they will begin to play.
                                          >
                                          >
                                          > In article <ebbkfq$2c2$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                          >
                                          >> > Probably. Or your FLVs are short. The longer the file the greater the
                                          >> > opportunity for a loss of synch. It's not just FLVs it's any video file
                                          >> > played on a computer.
                                          >>
                                          >> Really?
                                          >>
                                          >> I have never seen a drift in my WMV, MOV or AVI's, even in 3 hour-long
                                          >> videos shot for clients. I have a long documentary that I had put
                                          >> together
                                          >> years ago, and see no drift or synch issues whatsoever. I is in 4
                                          >> different
                                          >> formats, and can be plays perfectly on any PC or MAC. It's my
                                          >> understanding
                                          >> that these computer-based videos will drop frames (or some other method)
                                          >> to
                                          >> correct for any drift.
                                          >>
                                          >> In contrast, slow web connections or older computers will allow SWF's
                                          >> (not
                                          >> video) to play back irratically: Never the same twice. Audio drift, while
                                          >> not noticable on 1 machine will be out of synch with seconds.
                                          >>
                                          >>
                                          >>
                                          >>
                                          >> in
                                          >> message news:rob-46AF86.22104508082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >> > Probably. Or your FLVs are short. The longer the file the greater the
                                          >> > opportunity for a loss of synch. It's not just FLVs it's any video file
                                          >> > played on a computer.
                                          >> >
                                          >> > In article <ebb0uq$b9f$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                          >> > "Eric Regner" <eric@r2dm.com> wrote:
                                          >> >
                                          >> >> So when a WMV, MOV or AVI is converted, Flash will split the tracks?
                                          >> >>
                                          >> >> I have timing issues when playing SWF's, or locking graphics timing to
                                          >> >> audio, but I have never had audio drift with FLV (or have I been
                                          >> >> lucky?)!
                                          >> >>
                                          >> >> Eric
                                          >> >> "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com>
                                          >> >> wrote
                                          >> >> in
                                          >> >> message news:rob-59281F.08164108082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >> >> > Hi Eric,
                                          >> >> >
                                          >> >> > I'm not able to find any reference to FLV files' interleaving and
                                          >> >> > audio
                                          >> >> > synch. The only place that I can find any mention of FLV files and
                                          >> >> > audio
                                          >> >> > synch is in a list of advantages of FLV progressive download over
                                          >> >> > embedded video.
                                          >> >> >
                                          >> >> > The audio and video portions of FLV files are interleaved pretty
                                          >> >> > much
                                          >> >> > the same as SWF video. Since FLVs allow for keyframing, it is
                                          >> >> > possible
                                          >> >> > to maintain a better semblance of synch than with SWF files. But
                                          >> >> > synch
                                          >> >> > is still a user processor matter, not the file type.
                                          >> >> >
                                          >> >> > In article <eb8n3f$be9$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                                          >> >> > "Eric Regner" <eric@r2dm.com> wrote:
                                          >> >> >
                                          >> >> >> An FLV is a true "interleaved" video format. SWF is not. Basically,
                                          >> >> >> FLV's
                                          >> >> >> saved out as a SWF lets the SWF play video.
                                          >> >> >>
                                          >> >> >> Eric
                                          >> >> >> "Rob Dillon - Adobe Community Expert" <rob@-remove-ddg-designs.com>
                                          >> >> >> wrote
                                          >> >> >> in
                                          >> >> >> message news:rob-EB0304.07341407082006@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >> >> >> > I'm not quite understanding how converting an flv to an swf
                                          >> >> >> > improves
                                          >> >> >> > the
                                          >> >> >> > sync. There is no inherent "synchness" to either Flash video file
                                          >> >> >> > type.
                                          >> >> >> > The only difference is that an flv can be streamed, unlike .swf
                                          >> >> >> > video
                                          >> >> >> > files.
                                          >> >> >> >
                                          >> >> >> > This has nothing to do with a file's ability to play back
                                          >> >> >> > correctly
                                          >> >> >> > on
                                          >> >> >> > the user's computer. Maybe I'm missing something, but my copy of
                                          >> >> >> > Flash
                                          >> >> >> > 8
                                          >> >> >> > doesn't show me any option for creating an flv or swf video file
                                          >> >> >> > that
                                          >> >> >> > allows me to lock the video to the audio, or in any way synch the
                                          >> >> >> > audio
                                          >> >> >> > and video. My copy of Squeeze doesn't show me any option either.
                                          >> >> >> >
                                          >> >> >> > --
                                          >> >> >> > Rob
                                          >> >> >> > _______
                                          >> >> >> > Rob Dillon
                                          >> >> >> > Adobe Community Expert
                                          >> >> >> > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                                          >> >> >> > 412-243-9119
                                          >> >> >> >
                                          >> >> >> > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
                                          >> >> >
                                          >> >> > --
                                          >> >> > Rob
                                          >> >> > _______
                                          >> >> > Rob Dillon
                                          >> >> > Adobe Community Expert
                                          >> >> > http://www.ddg-designs.com
                                          >> >> > 412-243-9119
                                          >> >> >
                                          >> >> > http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/
                                          >> >
                                          >> > --
                                          >> > Rob
                                          >> > _______
                                          >> > Rob Dillon
                                          >> > 412-243-9119
                                          >> >
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Rob
                                          > _______
                                          > Rob Dillon
                                          > Adobe Community Expert
                                          > 412-243-9119
                                          >