17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 3:14 PM by faroinke

photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.

Raygun Stephens

Greetings.  This keeps happening to me.  Everything will work fine for a while, then all tools will stop working and the only thing i can still use is the eraser.  If i select another tool, it selects it on the toolbar, but its still just still the eraser.  The only thing i can do is shut the program down and restart it.  I have tried reinstalling and this makes no difference, same with restoring all defaults.  It DOESNT do this in cs5, just the latest version.  Is anyone else having any problems like this?  Do i need to just ditch the latest photoshop and go back to cs5?  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Craig.

• 1. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You have to provide system information. Nobody can help you based on such generic descriptions without technical info.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
            Raygun Stephens Level 1

Oh sorry, was just wondering if anyone has had anything like that happen.  My technical specs:

Lenovo ideapad y580 intel i7 duel 2.4 G; 16 gig ram; windows 8 (64) and using a cintiq 13hd drawing tablet as well.  Latest version of all drivers (tablet, graphics card, windows) and latest version of photoshop CC. 

Craig.

• 3. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I don't suppose you are using a tablet, and holding the stylus the wrong way round? 

• 4. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                Raygun Stephens Level 1

If only it were that easy!  Nope. Thats it not.  I can just use the mouse and have the same results.

Craig.

• 5. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.

This is going to sound strange, but try tapping the stylus on the tablet next time it sticks.  Mine sticks with the brush tool and a tap on the tablet frees it up, and you'll find other people with similar problems if you Google.  Of course it might be nothing to do with it, but at least cross it off your list of things to try.

Sorry.  If that turns out to be the problem, I have no idea of the fix.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                    jeanette614 Level 1

I am having the same problem. No matter what I do, I only have the eraser. Tapping the tablet with the stylus did no good.

I did have to shut down and reopen again. Maybe Adobe will see this glitch and fix it. I see that the last post about this was 2010 and here it is 2014 and I had the same issue.

• 7. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.

Jeanette we need to start again.  What version of Photoshop? Do you have all the updates? What operating system? What Wacom product, and does it have the latest drivers?

• 8. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                        WhiteMaze

I just found this thread on google as I am having the exact same problem.

While using Photoshop CC, from time to time, my brush tool locks up and doesnt let me use any other tool. I can select other tools, however it still behaves as if I was using the brush tool.

I have a Wacom Bamboo Fun, running Windows 7 64bit.

This is really weird, but apparently, I followed your advice on a "meh...at least it doesnt hurt to try" basis. Incredibly, you are absolutely right. The brush tool DOES get unstuck and everything goes back to normal again, if you tap the sylus on the tablet.

So....yeah. There you go. To anyone having this problem, just tap the stylus on the tablet and the tool gets unstuck.

Thanks Trevor, i've left positive feedback to you

This problem almost drove me nuts. Always restarting Photoshop because of this was really a pain.

• 9. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                          RichardP42

Positive feedback to both WhiteMaze and Trevor.

I've been suffering with the sticky brush when using a Wacom tablet for a while now.  When stuck I can be quite happilly paining away, but I'm unable to resize the brush or select any of the other tools via the keyboard.  The solution as above - is to tap the tablet to unfreeze the tools.

I thought I'd post as my hardware is different from the above - I'm using a Wacom Intuos 5, Mac OSX 10.9.2,  16GB and up to date version of CC.

• 10. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.

Richard, sad to say, I recently reinstalled Windows 7 and all my Adobe apps, and used the lates driver for my Intuos 4.  Not long prior to that, I bought a new stylus, because I'd lost the switch.  And guess what? I still have a sticky pen and have to tap the stylus on the tablet to be able to select other tools.

Whist we have the chance to compare conditions, I wonder what other periferals you have installed?  For instance, I have Logitech G110 keyboard and Performance MX mouse.  Come to think of it, I have also been using a Razer mamber at times, so perhaps I'll try uninstalling the other mouse driver and dongle.  Anything is worth a try.

• 11. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                              RichardP42 Level 1

Hi Trevor.   My system is quite plain out the box stuff - I am using a Corsair Raptor M30 mouse - but I never installed the drivers...  however I do have a N52TE installed with drivers loaded.  I never thought that it may be that affecting the Wacom.   Keyboard is the Apple one which came with the system.

Next time I'm plaing with Photoshop I'll try unplugging the N52TE and see if it makes a difference.

Although I have seen a couple of people in the threads who have this issue, there are not that many - so you may be on the right track re: the installed peripherals.

• 12. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.

It's only a guess.  If you are using a Mac, that straight awa makes our systems very different as I am using a PC.   It is even more depressing that you are using a later Intuos 5, and it all seems to come back to the Wacom driver.   Wacom were putting out new driver updates on an almost monthly basis a couple of years back, and my Intuos 4 did not have the tap to cure fault before then.

If I ever find a fix I'll PM you, and perhaps you can do the same for me, or just post on this forum.

• 13. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                                  alex_ch17

Try changing the keyboard and mouse.

• 14. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                                    mondi studio Level 1

I have the same exact problem.

It happens both in Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC.

I do have a mac pro (late 2013) - 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 64gb ram
                                    I believe this is related to a malfunction on the tablet drivers, as this only happens once I've installed the Huion Q11k tablet and now it is playing funny.

So annoying whatever tool I select, it still only works as an eraser.

Joao

• 15. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                                      mondi studio Level 1

Ok I think I found the solution while looking at other forum posts!
                                      Try pressing the side button closer to the tip on your tablet on the artboard.
                                      Not sure what it does but all my tools are working again in both photoshop and illustrator.

Hope this helps.

2 people found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                                        chyocojam Level 1

Hi!

I had the exact same problem in Ai CC with my Huion GT-191 tablet screen. I have Windows 10 and a PC with Asus Prime X370-PRO AM4 ATX motherboard, GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL OC graphics card and 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM. All the drivers and the software is up to date.

My solution to this was to change the pen button settings in the Huion driver: in the stylus pen menu option I chose the second button to have the keyboard option for I (eyedropper in Ai, but can be any tool), and ALSO selected the 'Switch' checkbox with 'Switch Brush' on. Now, when I open Ai it's still stuck to eraser, but when I click the pen button it changes to the programmed tool and I'm free to use all the other tools as well.

Hope this helps at least some people.

2 people found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: photoshop cc tools stuck, only eraser works.
                                          faroinke

Thank you so much! This was exactly what happened to me but I couldn't find a solution. Now that is simple!