19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 10:54 AM by the_wine_snob

How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?

EL92103

We have several 6 minutes running time formatted scripts to show. The default rolling text is way too unwieldy. Thanks, El

• 1. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Exactly where, how, do you wish this text to appear?

I often do very long Rolling Titles, for credits, but do not use the PrE Titler for that. Instead, I create my long, Rolling Titles as PSD's in Photoshop, and then animate them. While PrE CAN do longer Rolling Titles, than one might expect, the PSD route is easier for me.

If you can tell us exactly what you want, we can direct you in creating it.

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For an example of a long Rolling Credits Title (created in Photoshop), see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lgpWFmkdPM

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
              EL92103 Level 1

Yes. That roll in your video is close to what I want. It will be a script in white text on black witha narrator and voice actors dialoguing. Thanks, El

• 4. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should be able to cut-and-paste text from any .txt file and probably from any basic Word document into the Premiere Elements titler.

• 5. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

El92103,

I agree with Steve, that this can also be done in PrE's Titler. However, because of the display, and scrolling (in my case), I find Photoshop easier to deal with. That choice is up to the user.

This Tips & Tricks article goes into more detail on using Ps (probably translates very closely to how it would be done in PsE): http://forums.adobe.com/message/4729818#4729818

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

EL92103

In support of SG's Premiere Elements approach to dealing with the lengthy titles intended for Premiere Elements rolling titles, easily done with Premiere Elements Titler (Text/Default Roll)

Create your text for the rolling title in Microsoft Word (I used 2010). I did a copy there of the text in the opened document, and an Edit Menu/Paste in the opened Titler of Premiere Elements (with cursor at spot wanted for paste into).

You can edit that text in the Premiere Elements Titler (change Font type, Font color, position, etc). Works for display and scrolling, no problems.

If you want to use a graphic background behind the rolling title, you can place the graphic background on the video track below this rolling title. All sorts of possibilities to explore in Premiere Elements.

It is worth a look to see if that works for you.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                      EL92103 Level 1

SG & ATR,

I tried pasting from Word into Text/Default Roll and the formating for script is lost (get long horizontal text). A separate problem is the roll speed is out of sync with the voice actors.

Thanks,

El

• 8. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That pacing of the long Roll Title, is a reason that I like using Ps for the creation. When I Keyframe the fixed Effect>Motion>Position, I do not have to adjust my Title's Duration, to adjust the speed of the Roll. I handle that with the Keyframes, and can set the Duration to match what I need.

Now, when dealing with Text, that was Copied & Pasted, you might have better luck with the line breaks, etc., if you create Paragraph Text, by click+dragging a Text Box, that is the size needed. When you Paste your Copied Text into that, the line-breaks will be applied. Now, with Titler, you might need to scroll down, to find the bottom of that Text Box's control handle, and drag it down.

In the method, that I outlined for using Ps, one can easily change the Zoom of the Image, to easily see that entire Text Box, and control its height.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

El

Thanks for the update on Microsoft Word text copy/paste into Premiere Elements Titler.

Sorry that the formatting was not transferred in the paste operation. I am not sure what program would

give you that format transfer perk. I was thinking in terms of the focus on getting a large block of text typed in Word and then pasted into Premiere Elements Titler rolling title for formatting and significant editing of that text. But...

As for your added requirement for sync of the voice actors with the rolling credits, I think that best achieved by

creating text and keyframing the position property for the roll effect rather than the use of pre-made roll title. That brings in other considerations.

What programs do you now have to follow any plan...Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements, Premiere Pro....and versions?

Hunt has offered what has worked for him. From what I have seen, it is a demo for a 1 minute rolling title. From what you wrote you have

several 6 minutes running time formatted scripts

Does that imply that you do not have the flexibilty to create these rolling credits anew in any program? Is it that you have these already created 6 minute scripts and need to get a video editing program to accept what you have (maintaining format et al)?

More later.

Thanks.

AT

• 10. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                            EL92103 Level 1

AT,

Thanks for your careful follow-up. Programs are PrE11 and Ps-CS3. Yes the scripts are already created.

Regards,

El

• 11. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

With Ps CS3, the instructions in my linked article will work perfectly.

Just remember to Click+drag with the Text Tool (T in Toolbox) to create the Paragraph Text Box, before you Paste the copy into it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                                EL92103 Level 1

Bill,

The recordings for the titling have been delayed until January, so I have not done PrE11 work yet. Now want to have new laptop for project. Any recommendations for processors, speed, RAm, etc would be useful.

Thanks,

El

• 13. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

EL,

Here are my "general, suggested" laptop recs.:

1. Fast i7 CPU
                                  2. Two physical HDD's, or SSD's, or a combo of SSD & HHD
                                  3. Recent nVidia, or AMD/ATI card/chip w/ at least 1GB VRAM
                                  4. As much RAM, as is possible to install

Some folk will say that #2 is not a real requirement, if one has a large SSD, but being able to spread the I/O load between drives has always yielded performance for me.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 14. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                                    EL92103 Level 1

Bill, Now using 4.2" text boxes with 1 pix margins x 50" @ 96 resolution (Is 72 resolution sufficient for text in YouTube?) The Word format paragraph spacing not holding in Ps CS3 so have to to enter manually. Any time saving suggestions? Thanks, El

• 15. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For Video, the PPI (or DPI), really does not matter. If one were to look at say DVD Menus in Photoshop, they would Open at 72 PPI, just for display on a computer monitor. Whether you use 96, or 72 PPI, there should not be any difference, when going to Video.

As for the Word formatting, you are correct - that will ususally not translate well, or at all. I use my word processor (usually WordPerfect), to basically do the rought text, and then use Spellcheck. The actual formatting is done in Photoshop. If I need even more type-handling capabilities, I will do the initial work in Adobe Illustrator, as it has even more robust type-handling capabilities, than does Photoshop (or Premiere of any flavor). Then, I Place my AI document into my Ps Image, set up at New Image, to match my Video Project's Frame Size (and often extended in height for a long Roll Title).

In general terms, here is my workflow for an intricate "long Roll" Title:

1. Initial text created in word processing program - very limited, or no formatting involved at this point.
                                      2. Copy/Paste that text into an Illustrator Document, at about the size that I will use in Ps in the next step, though usually large enough for me to see everything clearly.
                                      3. Do all formatting, including Kerning, etc., in AI, and Save as an AI file - all Vector at this point.
                                      4. Open Photoshop and at New Image, start with the Video Preset, that matches my Video Project.
                                      5. Adjust that with Canvas, to get me extra height (usually for the Roll).
                                      6. Place the AI Document (now fully formatted, Kerned, etc.) into that Ps Image.
                                      7. Make any additions there, and Rasterize that Image, by Save_As PSD.
                                      8. Import that PSD into Premiere, where it will be animated via Keyframing the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, over time.
                                      9. Done

Hope that helps, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 16. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                                        EL92103 Level 1

Bill,

I did get the PC with i7 Quad4 and all kinds of memory. However, have not been able to get the PSD 324x6480 roll to work  (very small image, moves fast in wrong direction, unreadable). May have to go back to default roll after several unsuccessful days with PSD attempt (PrE screen attached).

Thanks,

~El

PrE PSD motion position copy.jpg

• 17. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

El,

Please remind me exactly what you are doing with the long Title Roll.

I do these in an Image in Ps, that matches the width of my Video Frame, say 1920, and then a higth as large, as is necessary.

I am not sure why you are using 324 pixels for the width. Was there a reason for that, one I am perhaps forgetting about now?

Please refresh my feeble memory, and we can progress.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                                            EL92103 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for follow up. Trying to have to text 3-5 words wide match up with voice actors' audio. So far have had to enter hard breaks for each line since the Word Ps columns did not hold. I put 324 px in trying to have that width for formatting each length of text lines, but actually don't know what numbers (tried many) to enter into Motion Effects.

Perplexed in San Diego,

~El

PS In desperation, I did set up Default Roll. It worked smoothly, but don't know about how to control speed with 3-5 lines to fit length of audio.

• 19. Re: How to paste lengthy text into a rolling text function?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, with the Default Roll, the timing is tied to the Duration of that Title - make it longer, and make is slower - make it shorter, and make it faster.

Now, one could possibly do Time Remapping, to try and sync the timing, but that can be very labor intensive.

Given what you are doing, I might be tempted to do multiple Titles and Keyframing their Position.

Good luck,

Hunt